Transmission/shifter questions. 73 dart sport

-

begot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need help figuring out my transmission shifter. My car came from the factory with the floor console (that I don't have) but the brackets for it are still there. The car used to have a 440 in it (was a drag car) but now has a 318 from who knows what. It came from the factory with a slant 6. The transmission is a 904 but I have no idea if it is the original one. The shifter is not original and is junk. It is a B+M shifter. It looks like they just slaped it on the floor board with some metal screws. So, I need to get a new factory shifter. Anyone know where I can get one. I like real basic factory looking shifters. Also does anyone know what the hole in the floorboard by the shifter was for? I am assuming that the car came as an automatic, but I am not sure. Since my car is not totally original ( has a roll cage, fuel cell and holes cut out of the fender wells for the header pipes from the 440) I have been thinking about upgrading the transmission to a 5-speed with OD. But I don't have any welding or fabricating skills. So if it was not a simple bolt on project, I would have to have a shop do all of it :happy2: Also, does anyone know if this is the original steering column? I can get more pictures if you guys/gals need :toothy8:
:happy1:

:)

Attachments

• car 001.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 88
  • car 002.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 96
  • car 003.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 113
  • car 009.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 89
  • car 010.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 106
:happy1::happy1::newb:

Attachments

• car 004.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 89
  • car 005.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 93
  • car 006.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 84
  • car 011.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 101
if the car orginally came with a /6 and now has a 318..then the trans is not orginal ..as a /6 904 will not bolt up to a 318. ...you can not going to find a console and shift NEW....ebay...craigslist...part for sale section of FABO,,,,

yes..the hole in the floor board is for one of the stock shifter lever ....

Your still missing one set of brackets, the ones that hold the shifter, you can see the holes that are torn under the B&M shifter from the original mounts. The brackets you have left would hold the console only but not the shifter.
The console for your car would have a flat/blunt nose in the front, shifter would have a wood grain knob with a black button, your also going to need all the linkage and the trans mount and proper arm for the valve body.

Dave

-
Back