Transmission threads. Auto vs Manual

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
Things are getting cluttered here. Maybe we can do separate install threads for each type of transmission Riddler did a great T56 one. Your thoughts. I'm not sure if people jut don't know how to do a search. But over the years since I finished mine there is so much more available out there. I think the budget build question should be banned. And a pro and cons of the transmissions discussed.

Maybe it's just me that can't do a search. Probably cause I'm lazy and want instant gratification. HOW COME NO ONE HAS RESPONDED YET IS BEEN 1 minute since I posted?

Maybe it's just me that can't do a search. Probably cause I'm lazy and want instant gratification. HOW COME NO ONE HAS RESPONDED YET IS BEEN 1 minute since I posted?

Sorry, I was in the shower. Lolol
So I don't understand your topic of manual vs automatic. Are you talking about the installation and tuning or the use. I'll take a manual over automatic any day unless my clutch knee gives out. Then throw a 545RE in there I guess.

Yes installation and tuning not preference. I would prefer manual but knee is in bad shape.

Yes installation and tuning not preference. I would prefer manual but knee is in bad shape.
Get the suppliers to build some that don't require cutting up our cars,and the purists quit crying if we use a 200-4R or a 700r4 GM to keep from cutting them up.

Oooh the purist seems only the cheby guys appreciate a good Hemi swap. "Nice LS swap in yer mustange mister"

I think the manuals tend to have a little easier swap without cutting up the floors. Or there seem to be more options that limit the damage at least. You can run a stock 4 speed with zero mods to the floor or the Passon 5 speed (assuming they are still making them) if you want a drop in OD. A Gear Vendors unit is another way to get OD without floorpan mods. I think the TKOs will fit without much cutting, but I just don't care for the gear ratios in them so I didn't look that close.

Any modern automatic just seems to take up a lot of space. I suppose you might be able to stuff something like a 42RH or whatever it's called (basically a 904 with an OD section bolted on the back) with minimal work as it's basically just a slightly longer 904, but the way the tunnel narrows at the back I'm guessing you'd still have to do something.

Idk why everyone is scared to do tunnel surgery?? I'm doing it and I had NO fabricating/welding experience before working on this car. Sure I didn't have much choice since a previous owner had hacked the crap out of the tunnel anyway, but still.

Idk why everyone is scared to do tunnel surgery?? I'm doing it and I had NO fabricating/welding experience before working on this car. Sure I didn't have much choice since a previous owner had hacked the crap out of the tunnel anyway, but still.

May not be scared as much as just not wanting to cut up original sheet metal. If my car was worth anything in stock form I would be more hesitant, but it was already a Frankenstein of parts when I got it with a hacked in 4 speed hump. If I was working on something factory original I'd be less inclined to want to cut a big hole in it.

It's very hard to have separate threads for the basic questions. The main issue is that only admin's can edit older posts even if it's your own. Which is needed as new parts/info comes out.

I'd love to do a few threads about different parts and vendors.. but alas won't even start unless I can edit the posts to add and remove info as needed.

As for transmissions, I was going to do a 545RFE for the auto and decided to drive manual as I miss driving that...

Riddler

-
Back