Transmisssion braces needed?

-

gkev

Reaction score
How important are the transmission to engine braces on A bodys? We are having a devil of a time installing headers on my sons 73 Dart Swinger. There is not enough room to install these things between the header tubes and the engine. I only ask because we have been working on this for about 3 days and I have walked away, drank beer, cussed and thrown things and it still wont work. I have worked on Chevys a lot and they don't have these dang braces to deal with and there seem to be the same number of bolts that go through the bell housing so I am wondering just how important they are. OK, you can all start blasting me now:) I appreciate any help you all can give because my son loves Mopar and I have a feeling this isn't the only one we will be working on. Thanx, Kevin

Welcome to Fabo! You are in the right place for answers.

They are nice to have, kind of an insurance. But I have left them off of almost all of my builds, unless there was room for them. I had a low 10 second abody without them on, and never had a problem. If you can fit one side on, go ahead, if not, don't sweat it.

I have about 6 extra sets, cheap if you need them. :toothy7:

Oh, and these braces are a very good indicator of the difference between a GM and a Mopar.

My first new car was a Chevelle, and they only put two mounting bolts holding the carb to the intake. Two should do it, we can save the 7 cents! :D

Well after 3 more hours with an air grinder we fabricated one side of the brace so it will clear the header. This is on the passenger side. It is in and hopefully one is better than none because the one on the drivers side has to go under the starter bolt and there is nooooo way it's going in there. I appreciate the help and I'm sure we will be back soon with more questions. KB

you done fine gittin one side to work, i have never had a problem runnin without them and I beat the snot out of my cars(but they love it) you'll be fine....happy rice huntin!!!!

Attachments

• 190171_10150204527237589_660722588_9071690_7631278_s.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 108
Well after 3 more hours with an air grinder we fabricated one side of the brace so it will clear the header. This is on the passenger side. It is in and hopefully one is better than none because the one on the drivers side has to go under the starter bolt and there is nooooo way it's going in there. I appreciate the help and I'm sure we will be back soon with more questions. KB

Wouldn't waste my time, just round file em.

-
Back