Transmition lines, how do i make them?

-

n00blike

Reaction score
SO a while ago i had to replace the lines but i went with rubber lines. Routing them is hard so i want to go back to the metal lines. thin is i dont know how to make them. So have any of you guys made them before?

If so what do i need? This is for a 74 duster 360 with a 904 trans.

I believe you can get the line at NAPA along with the correct fittings. I just bought a tubing bender and a double flairing tool and went at it. I just measured and bent where I needed to. The lines came out pretty good and no leaks going on 4 yrs. It is very tight work but can be done with patience. Good luck.

Just like dartman said. Allso if you have never used a flairing tool before practice on a spare peice of tube a few times till you get good at it as it can be a little tricky to get right. But with a little practice you will have it down. The bender is ez to use.

Good luck.

I use sockets held in my vise as a bender. As much as I dislike musclecar TV, they made a bender using a piece of 1/8 plate and a couple scrap pieces of tube. Different size tube for different radius bend.

Having a flare tool is a must.

You could also buy a roll of aluminum tubing which is super easy to bend and flare compared to steel.

As much as I dislike musclecar TV, they made a bender using a piece of 1/8 plate and a couple scrap pieces of tube. Different size tube for different radius bend.

Having a flare tool is a must.

I saw that. IIRC he used some square stock and welded different size tube on all four sides.

We used 3/8 but I think stock is 5/16. We're going to make a set for my dart and I'll use the 5/16 so I can use the same fittings.

We only used the 3/8 because that was what we thought the lines where. Didn't take long to figure out that wasn't right.

save yourself the hassle...unless you want to play around with a bender/flaring tool etc..The lines you are looking for are all over the bag...for under 50 bux too....prebent/right fittings...easy to install...

well i really wanted to make my own lines to learn how but no one around here seems to sell lines in more then 6ft. So i went to http://www.inlinetube.com/ and ordered a set. I did have a question, did dusters only come with 904 stock?

They only have one listing for trans lines for v8s and i called them but the guy didn't know if it would fit a 904 or 727. he said they must of only had one since they only have one listing. :-k

-
Back