Trashing others on a public fourm

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

LS-300

Reaction score
There is a thread , now closed, that is trashing another person on this site. This is not the first time this has occurred. It's also not unique to this site.
First let me state I have dealt with the person in question and had no problems. With that out of the way I have a question.
Why is it that there is a place to provide feedback on purchases through a site and problems get to the point they were in this instance? If the seller was a problem seller it should be noted in their profile as a seller. In this case there were 90 recorded transactions from the seller and NO negative feedback reaching back to 2010. How can this be? If a seller has a reputation of being a problem seller it should be noted. If negative feedback is being deleted or blocked wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the feedback system? Or is it possible that something else is the problem?

Trashing others is where we are. It is gratifying, but it is not right. I've seen people quit jobs and loose friends and family. Once out it can not be taken back.

I feel the same about feedback, it is our way of differentiating the good people from the not so good. + as well as -

The Op had a legitimate claim. The seller made promises and didn't deliver. The seller should have acted before it came to the buyer having to call him out, plain and simple. Close the thread, but don't delete it. Both sides of the story were laid out, and those who read it can make an educated decision for themselves.

Trashing others is where we are. It is gratifying, but it is not right. I've seen people quit jobs and loose friends and family. Once out it can not be taken back.

I feel the same about feedback, it is our way of differentiating the good people from the not so good. + as well as -
Feedback is not the proper outlet for dealing with a bad seller, or buyer for that fact.
Example, If you were to have a problem with a item you purchased and can't work out the problem and in turn leave the seller a negative feedback, take a guess what the next action is of the seller? You are going to get a negative feedback as the buyer! What has feedback accomplished? This is the reason E-bay changed their policy several years ago that will not allow the Seller to leave a negative feedback. All you can give is a positive or neutral feedback. In some cases the seller needs to be outed, In others the seller may be unreasonable in what their expectations are.
So in the end, they both have the right to post and explain their position. Because after all it is for each member to use as a tool on weather or not they want to deal with this Buyer or Seller in the future. This is how you build yourself an "Ignore" list.

just because you had a positive experience with them doesn't mean every person has been treated the same way. if I felt like I got burned or treated like **** by a seller , I'm going to call them out if they refuse to work with me behind the scenes. this thread is just a continuation of the same that just got shut down. my ignore list is how I keep track of who not to deal with. it has gotten pretty long...

The thread in question seems to have disappeared. Closing the thread I can see, but removing the thread? The Op had a legitimate claim. The seller made promises and didn't deliver. The seller should have acted before it came to the buyer having to call him out, plain and simple. I don't agree that the thread should have been removed. Both sides of the story were laid out, and those who read it can make an educated decision for themselves.
I agree, without violating policy or being vulgar. The thread should stand for other to make an informed decision. Kinda like censorship?

From what I can see the original thread is still viewable. The moderators have closed it for further comment. My concern is do we have a working method to detect problems with sellers and buyers to prevent or minimize these problems.

Ok.

This is gonna get deep soon

Ya think?:D
Nothing is perfect and nothing is guaranteed, and never will be.
Ya roll the dice and sometimes get snake eye's.

Or like my Mother used to say "Sometimes your the bug, and sometimes your the windshield"

As Thumper said" If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".
I made a purchase from a member here and received a bumper for my Barracuda. I didn't open it for a couple of months, but when I did, it was for a different type of car. I had cleaned and polished the bumper and it looked good. A few conversations with the individual, I put it up for sale and actually made $40. I would have acted different had I been the one making the sale.
I see no reason to bad mouth the other individual.
I just will not purchase anything from him.

I don't know whether this particular buyer / seller has a ***** coming, but "trashing" (discussing?) on the internet is EXACTLY what needs to be done. I don't know yet whether the buyer or the seller is "correct" or maybe it's a bit on both sides.

I used to buy "a few things" on over the air amateur radio swap nets. There's been more than once I got screwed, OUT AND OUT screwed, and there are a few today, that at the very least owe me for phone calls and shipping in return. One of them is still "in operation" today. This goes clear back to the mid 80's

I'll tell you one thing. With the hard line I see coming from the seller's direction, I will think twice before dealing with him, regardless of those of you you claim he's "good" to deal with.

Now we moderators have another "bashing" thread to watch. This thread will probably escalate just like the last one did and it will get closed too. Maybe I should just close it now so I can spend some Fathers Day time with my family instead of hanging out here all weekend.

But now we need a thread about not bashing those that are bashing others. This crap is out of hand

Very simple, do your homework, need to define "drivers" quality versus chinese aftermarket. Then oem.

Can we have a thread about the moderators unfairly using shutting of the bashing of the bashers? Or just a basher thread to put it all on and see if it is a morale builder? HFD Mods! LMAO get a life people and move on we are dealing with very old cars/parts here!

That's it. I'm gonna have a beer, hope.you all have fun

Let's go back to the old way of doing things, can the classified section, and everybody can go to swap meets and deal with people and parts face to face!!!

Yes, throw the baby out with the bath water... I sense some sarcasm in that.

One seller makes a bad deal with a buyer, doesn't follow through and we should shut it down. Nope, that's not an overreaction. :)

I have bought parts over the net and in person. Both ways are buyer beware. If you get burned you try to resolve. If that can't be done I just never deal with that person again. I have no interest either way in this beef. I make sure I get lots of pics before I buy. I am cautious in that regard.

I have seen on other sites when a seller with 100% positive feedback suddenly gets a public shaming thread about them. All of a sudden many others come forward about the same seller with negative issues they had. But no one ever left negative feedback either because of perceived reputation, the number of posts, or fear of retaliation.

I've been had by such a seller and kept quiet.

It happens. As ugly as it is, sometimes public shaming is necessary.

Last edited:
Yes, throw the baby out with the bath water... I sense some sarcasm in that.

One seller makes a bad deal with a buyer, doesn't follow through and we should shut it down. Nope, that's not an overreaction. :)

Sarcasm indeed Rob!! But it rings with an air of truth!! Out of the 1000's of deals I've had with selling parts over the years, I've never had a person come to my swap spot and accuse me of misrepresenting a part, call me names, say my part is too expensive, or junk!! Come to think of it, I can count on one finger the number of times it's happened selling parts on the Internet!! And that was a very expensive Les Paul!! You think Mopar people are persnickety about parts, try selling a Les Paul!!!! In one weeks time, I had that guitar completely torn apart 7 times!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back