Trends from the 60's

-

falston1

Reaction score
I have a 1964 Dodge D100 that I want to restore into a truck that looks like its straight from the 60's or early 70's. I'm only 20, so I have a very limited knowledge of the era and was hoping to get some help from the guys that lived through it. I hear most trucks had mud grips on the back and road tires on the front at the time. I also want to know what interior accessories were most popular at the time. Pictures would be highly appreciated!

-Forrest

Attachments

• 64 D100.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 560
a cool tach...like a Sun or a Dixco...

stock radio....or aftermarket 8 track

maybe a cool flake steering wheel...

I have a radar detector from the 60's

if that's the truck, your there. no kidding. I like the mud grips idea.
If it's what I think, we call 'em snow tires here in Michigan, nice 60's touch.
Maybe a short wood rack on the bed. Shotgun rack in the back window is a MUST.
Oh, and painted dog dishes would finish out the daily driver look.
Keep us posted. Shawn

Chromed stock wheels with baby moon hubcaps.
Flames were popular.
On the paint front, metal flake or Kandy Apple Red were common.
Gotta get a foot-shaped gas pedal.

You need a knob on the steering wheel with a picture of a rose or naked woman. Personnaly I liked the naked woman ones.

Wheels and tires,will make the biggest difference appearance wise. Chrome reverse wheels,slot dish mags,baby moons,Cragars,etc......Tuck and roll upholstery. Check out Hot Rod Deluxe,magazines like that. Check out,all the car shows you can. You will know,what you like when you see it.

I was born in 1970. I don't think too many people were doing trucks back then, a truck was utility. Vans then were huge, probably the #1 customised car. I think you could do what you would do to a Van and you would get the "vibe" you are looking for. My Dad did have a early 50's F100 all I remember it was brown and had a simple camper in the bed, and he was a car guy (we had a yellow Mach 1 too), yet the truck was for camping and hauling. Now if you were asking 80's I could be all over that!

If you do mud tires don't think the big baloon tires we have today, they would be tall and skinny like on a military Jeep. The front didn't matter, very few 4wd back then (how did we ever get by?)

Side pipes a must, aluiminum slots and rear tires so wide and they stick out past the fenders. These were popular in the early 70's for sure.

I like most of those ideas! I know there wasn't many custom trucks then, but I kinda want this to be a plain Jane truck. I'm going to see about bias ply tall skinny ties front and back with mud grips. I love the half moon hubcaps on those trucks. Thanks for all the suggestions!

-Forrest

60's were a lot of "chromies" "chrome reverse" and "baby moons." NO side pipes. Once in awhile you might see somebody with "lakes" pipes but I don't remember seein' em on a pickup.

Friend of mine used to have a nice shortie 48 Ford, 283 Chev, 3 speed "Mystery shifter" (misery shifter), 4:11 weld-a-lock rear, "cheater slicks" and a Dixco "wide sweep" tach. One day in the early spring of 68 before I went into the Navy he showed up in town with homemade headers. No collectors mind ya--just clamped 'em together with hose clamps at the end.

So we're gonna go out to the "Dover highway", and see how it goes with "Kincaid's" brand new 68 350 Camaro. So we all trapse out there only several miles, and Don runs the 48 oughta gas!!!!. So some of 'em pile into Kincaid's Camaro and run back to town for gas.

Don had a 'Vette 2x4 manifold all ground out with adapters and AFBs on it. (They came with WCFBs, a whole bunch smaller.) I'm sure that 283 had all the air/fuel it could ever handle.

So we line 'er up. Don winds that ***** up and dumps the clutch. He winds it until!!! the tach pegs at 6K!!! and then just keeps on!!! windin!!!! it!!!! until!!! I guess must have been the points floated, and slams that mystery shifter into 2nd gear. Since this is a pickup, he'd welded an extension onto the bottom of the shifter handle, so the damn thing had a "throw" of about 6 ft from 1st to 2nd

By the top of 2nd gear, as I remember, it was all over. The Camaro, with tall gears, couldn't pull that 283 in a short race.

When you hear songs like "hot rod lincoln" and "little deuce coupe" and those guys have lines stuff like "hard to steer" they ain't KIDDIN!!!! It's a freekin miracle most of us lived through it all. A few didn't

Find you a 64-65 RV ( teardrop,airstream,etc) restore it and drag it around to the car shows..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12tIXd8k7ng"]Aber Day Kegger Preview #2 - YouTube[/ame]
this is a preview to a great documentary about a fund raising keggar they used to have here. Pics aren't great but right at 0:11 and 0:32 you see a couple solid early 70's Montana pickups. In the whole video there is some other good footage but I can't find any online. You can see the right type of mud tire on the bed side mount at :11 and then another plane truck at :32 with some great trucker mud flaps.

I was born in 1970. I don't think too many people were doing trucks back then, a truck was utility. Vans then were huge, probably the #1 customised car. I think you could do what you would do to a Van and you would get the "vibe" you are looking for. My Dad did have a early 50's F100 all I remember it was brown and had a simple camper in the bed, and he was a car guy (we had a yellow Mach 1 too), yet the truck was for camping and hauling. Now if you were asking 80's I could be all over that!

If you do mud tires don't think the big baloon tires we have today, they would be tall and skinny like on a military Jeep. The front didn't matter, very few 4wd back then (how did we ever get by?)

In the 60's, pickups were not popular to the younger generation of that time. Trucks were used as originally intended, tools of various tradesmen, farmers and other commercial uses. .

Thanks! Love hearing the stories. This one's a three on the tree so it'll definitely be interesting seeing as how most my age have never seen or heard of one. I want this truck to bring back memories to all of the older guys. I don't want a hot rod, just a cool old truck mostly original with the usual upgrades of that time period.

GASSER.... Get the front up! Aluminum wheels on the front... slots or torque thrusts and wide steelies on the back

And then there's.................................................

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAW3oV8tw8"]DeadEndCruisers: Jimmy White's Hemi Coupe - YouTube[/ame]

Hey you wouldnt happen to be anywhere near me would ya? Been looking for a local member to hang out with and bs about cars.

Love your pickup.

In the 60's, pickups were not popular to the younger generation of that time. Trucks were used as originally intended, tools of various tradesmen, farmers and other commercial uses. .

Have to disagree, there were cool pickups in our town in the 60's. Mine was one of them. In 1967 my buddy and I built my 1955 IH 1/2 ton with a 348 chevy and three speed. (My dad took the hemi for his plymouth wagon) :) Wish I had a picture. :eek:ops: Didn't take many pictures back then. Removed the front bumper, running boards, tailgate, put black 15x7 steelies all around with redline 70's. Inside was pretty spartan, with a tiny grant wheel (steered awful) and hurst shifter. Sr. day in high school, I left a streak (no limited slip) of rubber the length of our school on the street in front. That's how I got introduced at our 25 yr. reunion.

There was a very nice 68 Ford a friend had with a 352 and 4 spd, chrome reversed rims and wide tires. He was always tearing up the street. He had an artificial leg, results of a motorcycle accident, but had it rigged up so he drove with the manual tranny like nobodies business.

Another was a 1952 Ford in baby blue with slender chrome stacks behind the cab and chrome reversed rims and baby moons. It had a really sweet sound.

Here's my 42 ford with a Plymouth 273 and A833. Shows you the tall skinny's with the "mud grippers." I sold it and went to college, so never got to finish it. I could tell you a story about the frozen front spindles on this one. (circa 1971)

Attachments

• 42 Ford W-Roy C..jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 393
:eek:ops:Forgot to mention my buddies 1956 Dodge pu, stock V8, manual with dual exhausts and nice paint he used for a service truck. Later he built a 55 Jeep pickup, painted it yellow, lifted it and put AMC V8 in it. Had white slotted wheels with BIG tires. He was and still is huge AMC guy, although he is finishing up restoration of a 68 Road Runner for a customer right now.

Dont forget the spotlight either in the roof of left side of windshield.

A garage logo on the door looks cool. Chrome reverse without the hubcaps is a correct look. I have the same thing goin with my Duster. I put an 8 track in it. Get more comments on it than anything. Find an old playboy or some hot rods from the same year and leave it on the seat.

-
Back