Trick Flow small block heads

-
Imo, telling buyers to hold off buying these heads is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.
Do we think that bolting on some ootb RPM type heads is going to make more power on that exact build?
The ootb price difference is $480........ which isn’t quite enough to cover the cost of prepping and a stage 1 type bowl job.
So, the way I see it...... as long as the TF’s don’t make less power than the RPMs on that type of build, they’re still i viable option.
It’s certainly possible the RPM’s are the better choice for a build like that....... and I’m sure at some point, that test will happen.......... then the question will get answered.

If “I” were building a combo like that, and the expected power was clearly under 500hp(based on the mild cam, dual plane intake, etc), I’d use prepped RPM’s. Not because I think they’re better, but because for basically the same price as the TF’s cost....... I’d make more $$$ selling and prepping the RPM heads.

If the target was solidly in the mid/upper 500hp level...... and the cam/manifold combo could be sized accordingly....... then I’d use the TF heads.

Part of telling me to hold off was due to the fact I am a ways off from needing to complete the engine. There is no need for me buy now, so why purchase an unknown right now. Don't misunderstand, I really want these to work out. I was running Trick Flows in the early 90's on a SB 351W that just surprised a lot of people with what those heads would do. The fact that TF wants dyno sheets tells me that they actually care as to what is going on. I like the fact that the heads are ready to roll. Try getting a warranty on a set of ported heads because they have been modified. I did get a quick look at the heads, and they are a quality product. If/when the combination gets figured out, I will happily lay my money down for these.

Why would somebody even spend the money on a decent head like that and then run a pimple of a cam is beyond me.

.575 lift MINIMUM!!! [email protected]!!!
the cam ran was nothing but a 10 lb. back scratcher.

And btw way, chryslers do great will smaller port volume... people mostly only know building with small port volume when it comes to wedge stuff.... that's why when the BIG ports come over... they dont how to play with them. Long rod, dwell time, velocity ...it works.
185-190cc

And what happens when you give up the R/S ratio with a 4 inch stroke? 1.53 is pretty low.

Somehow, everyone went with BIG is bad. A good port is a good port, if it's correctly sized for what you are doing.

I wouldn't think twice about buying those TF heads. They are 10 times better than any other head I've seen with that architecture.

But for someone to posit the thought those heads are too big for 400 inches is absolute insanity.

This is pretty interesting. The first I was like oh my God they're way too expensive. Then man I have to have these one of these days. now I'm thinking hold on a second maybe they're not all they're cracked up to be. But then again everybody says how great they look...
:drama:

This is pretty interesting. The first I was like oh my God they're way too expensive. Then man I have to have these one of these days. now I'm thinking hold on a second maybe they're not all they're cracked up to be. But then again everybody says how great they look...

They are great heads. But you have to understand their limits. As far as the casting, machining and finish work they are top notch. Better than any other stuff out there.

Lead69 has a set. His engine is going together. I think he is waiting on head bolts. I don't recall what intake he is using, but he is using a much better cam.

I have no doubt that the dyno numbers posted by Grey are correct. That's what you'd expect for that combo. Anytime you see more torque than HP the build has issues.

And I responded as nice as I could.

Again, in over your head in a thread where you can't add anything.

Bow out. Or post something relevant.
What the hell do you know that's so special? And what the heck are you adding? It's a chunk of metal with valve springs and retainers no big deal...
No one reinvented the wheel here.
How about letting some of the people keep talking that are using them and working with them so we can find out about it? not someone who stuck their self-proclaimed nose pickers on them once...

What the hell do you know that's so special? And what the heck are you adding? It's a chunk of metal with valve springs and retainers no big deal...
No one reinvented the wheel here.
How about letting some of the people keep talking that are using them and working with them so we can find out about it? not someone who stuck their self-proclaimed nose pickers on them once...

It's called experience. I knew this was coming. I called it, right here. Everyone was caught up in the flow numbers. So I knew the first engines coming off the dyno would be a disappointment.

That's what the hell I know. I don't even need to put one on the flow bench to tell you that. It's called experience. I'm sure if I asked lead69 I could flow his head. He wouldn't care. But what would it prove?

That head is too small for 400 inches and cam timing like all the "street" guy clamor for.

I know the cam specs lead69 is using, and they ain't the weak suck numbers used in the dyno engine above.

As I told lead69 when I looked at his heads he should be in the 540 HP range. And he will be.

That's called experience.

:drama:

So, an honest question for you, would you spend your own money on these before knowing a combination that they work with? If so, what kind of combination would you run. I personally work too many hours, and need to get this engine right the first time, because I can't afford to replace them if they do not work. As a budget guy like yourself, I would think that you would understand that more then anyone else.

So, an honest question for you, would you spend your own money on these before knowing a combination that they work with? If so, what kind of combination would you run. I personally work too many hours, and need to get this engine right the first time, because I can't afford to replace them if they do not work. As a budget guy like yourself, I would think that you would understand that more then anyone else.

There is NOTHING wrong with that TF head. Nothing. There was nothing wrong with the head Rod Bloomer developed.

You just have to know its limits. Like everything else. If I needed a set of heads and I wasn't willing to use something with an offset rocker I'd buy the TF heads in a New York second.

That engine wasn't an underachiever because of the heads. It's a bad combo.

I wouldn't spend money on them right now. That is if I had the money. I'm really enjoying watching how all this is unfolding information wise. Finding out what combination these would work best with and what situation...
I figure with any luck if these get flooded on the market there'll be a lot of good used Edelbrocks for sale...:thumbsup:

Nose pickers

Hippie Lettuce

If I don’t learn anything about TrickFlow heads at least I’m getting a good laugh. LMAO.
The problem is yr often confuses entertainment with true knowledge....
My question is if there's room for porting on these new trick flow heads then why are they not maximized from the get-go? If indeed bigger is better. Why is trick flow waiting for other people to do dyno test sheets and stuff like that? Wasn't this part of the process of making the head? Or was it just see how big we can make the ports in a stock configuration? Which leads me back to my first question...

There is NOTHING wrong with that TF head. Nothing. There was nothing wrong with the head Rod Bloomer developed.

You just have to know its limits. Like everything else. If I needed a set of heads and I wasn't willing to use something with an offset rocker I'd buy the TF heads in a New York second.

That engine wasn't an underachiever because of the heads. It's a bad combo.

So, I pose to you the same question, what combination would you go with? I am wondering if something like Comp's XFI or even (gulp) LS style lobe would work better.

Question number two basically for trick flow...
Did trick flow work forward from what is already known and just howg out what was already there? It sounds like these are a complete remake.
Were they able to start with the basics and work their way a little thicker until they stopped cracking?

My question is if there's room for porting on these new trick flow heads then why are they not maximized from the get-go? If indeed bigger is better. Why is trick flow waiting for other people to do dyno test sheets and stuff like that? Wasn't this part of the process of making the head? Or was it just see how big we can make the ports in a stock configuration? Which leads me back to my first question...

Did you not see what TrickFlow did with their big block head? 240 head and shortly after a 270 head. A head like everything else is not a one size fits all. Buyers choice is good for us, great for them

You need to remember that TF waited two years to release these heads because of some unstated issues. I have to wonder what that issue was. I would think that they fixed everything, at least I certainly hope so.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't care what you think.

Again, I saw this coming. Same scenario we saw when Bloomer did his heads. Same thing.

Experience. Get some. And don't get butt hurt.
My post has nothing to do with the thread topic but your continuing bla bla bla blabbing on and on with nothing of value to add.

Just your self pontificating blow hardiness.

Did you not see what TrickFlow did with their big block head? 240 head and shortly after a 270 head. A head like everything else is not a one size fits all. Buyers choice is good for us, great for them
The most I've ever had to do with Big Blocks is getting them running not tricking them out or modifying them. Maybe there desire for feedback will prompt a second-set as well?

You need to remember that TF waited two years to release these heads because of some unstated issues. I have to wonder what that issue was. I would think that they fixed everything, at least I certainly hope so.
It's almost good to know that they had issues so we know they were doing some testing..

Imm engines said This first engine is a very mild small hydraulic flat tappet 408 build, but we made 462 horsepower and 486 torque with them.

-
Back