Trick flow track heat vs edelbrock Victor (low deck)

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, just wanted to get an idea of preference & a reason why either of these intakes would be your choice for a stroker low deck (race only for me)

Hey folks, just wanted to get an idea of preference & a reason why either of these intakes would be your choice for a stroker low deck (race only for me)

I have victor knock offs on my r/b , they are very long and not machined off on the ends , ''think'' the victors are the same way .
If doing it over , I`d go for trickflows on about any engine !

Standard intake ports or Max Wedge? 4150 carburetor flange or 4500?

I have victor knock offs on my r/b , they are very long and not machined off on the ends , ''think'' the victors are the same way .
If doing it over , I`d go for trickflows on about any engine !
Sorry I was asking about the low deck intake manifolds

So that means you are using standard port heads and a 4150 carburetor? Okay, thanks then. With that information I should offer no opinion.

So that means you are using standard port heads and a 4150 carburetor? Okay, thanks then. With that information I should offer no opinion.
Trick flow 240s & dominator spacer to 4150

I can offer this...... the TF RB intake is good enough to make over 680hp ootb on a 452RB with a nothing special 4150 carb that has a 1.375” venturi.

The intake had no clean-up whatsoever..... right ootb.

Just depends on how much power you are trying to make. The Trick Flow intake is really good up to about 700 hp. After that you'll need to get it ported. If you are shooting for 750+ hp then I'd suggest a Dominator flange intake. The Indy 400-3 is a decent starting point or the Mopar M1 4500. Either one of those will work once you have them ported by a pro. I've used Wilson Manifolds in the past and they do a great job.
DSC_0059 (Large).jpeg

I had Wilson do the EFI conversion on the Trick Flow intake for my low deck 512. They did a super nice job with it.
DSC_1295 (Large).JPG
DSC_1299 (Large).JPG

I can offer this...... the TF RB intake is good enough to make over 680hp ootb on a 452RB with a nothing special 4150 carb that has a 1.375” venturi.

The intake had no clean-up whatsoever..... right ootb.

THEY DO LOOK GOOD, A VICTOR TAKES A LITTLE CLEAN UP TO LOOK THE SAME . I THINK THE ONLY DIFF. IN THEM IS THE MOLD --------------------JMO

Andy, do you have back to back numbers for the M1 dominator, before and after Wilson porting? I have a virgin version of the M1, and wondering what the potential improvement might be with porting.

THEY DO LOOK GOOD, A VICTOR TAKES A LITTLE CLEAN UP TO LOOK THE SAME . I THINK THE ONLY DIFF. IN THEM IS THE MOLD --------------------JMO
If you remove the throat restriction on the Victor under the carburetor flange to look the same as the Trick Flow intake you will lose power on your Victor. This I have tested on back to back dyno runs using a 650 HP big block. The only time I found a benefit to removing the throat restriction was if using a 2" spacer on top of the Victor. There is a distinct benefit on the Victor if you just use a sanding roll and smooth the rough edges on the throat restriction. We made six dyno runs on a standard port matched Victor......1) OOTB plenum, 2) OOTB plenum & 2" spacer = power up, 3) smoothed throat restriction = power up, 4)smoothed throat restriction & 2" spacer = power up, 5) removed plenum restriction = power down, 6) Removed plenum restriction & 2" spacer = power back up. There was power gain every time until we removed the plenum restriction under the carburetor base flange. If you are going to use a carburetor directly on top of the Victor intake do not grind out the plenum restriction.

OH RATS! Do what ever you want to do.

Just depends on how much power you are trying to make. The Trick Flow intake is really good up to about 700 hp. After that you'll need to get it ported. If you are shooting for 750+ hp then I'd suggest a Dominator flange intake. The Indy 400-3 is a decent starting point or the Mopar M1 4500. Either one of those will work once you have them ported by a pro. I've used Wilson Manifolds in the past and they do a great job.
View attachment 1715687638
Thank you Andy.

Thanks for offering no opinion later in the thread very helpful

Thanks for offering no opinion later in the thread very helpful

Sure..........and I still have no preference. The discussion has since expanded.

In the beginning it seemed to me a comparison between the two intakes. I've never had my hands on the Trick Flow and I couldn't speak to a preference between the two.

I bought a few Victors before the TF manifolds came out so I've been using them. I did a little work to the Indy 400-3 and managed to squeak out 787 HP with it on a pump gas 451 B engine with Edelbrock RPM cylinderheads.

Sure..........and I still have no preference. The discussion has since expanded.

In the beginning it seemed to me a comparison between the two intakes. I've never had my hands on the Trick Flow and I couldn't speak to a preference between the two.

I bought a few Victors before the TF manifolds came out so I've been using them. I did a little work to the Indy 400-3 and managed to squeak out 787 HP with it on a pump gas 451 B engine with Edelbrock RPM cylinderheads.
Damn thats some great power! Is the 400-3 standard port runners ?

Have u had both side by side to compare them? Is the carb opening and plenum bigger? Or just refined? Thanks. Kim

I have owned and dyno tested a few Victors....... and I have dyno tested one engine with the TF manifold.
But I have not had them side by side.
My impression of the TF after seeing it was that the runner dividers were thinner, and the insides of the runner walls had a better finish on them.
It also does not have the little “wings” at the top of the runners protruding into the plenum at the carb pad.
The owner of the motor with the TF manifold, who has also had Victor intakes before, stated the port exits were more uniform and correctly sized.
The manifold was not removed during the dyno session, so I never saw that end of the runners.

A22C10CE-C1A7-4CA8-A7CC-01600E798776.png

6058DC3E-5158-4192-8FEC-61C1F73F445F.png

Damn thats some great power! Is the 400-3 standard port runners ?
It was pretty close to ten years ago that I received the 400-3. My recollection is that the runners were uneven and ragged at the head face.

Don't know if this helps........but...........

I just went out and measured the RPM heads we were using on that engine and we had ported the heads and intake manifold out to 1-1/4" wide and 2-5/8" tall. The intake manifold face of the runners were definitely smaller than that when we stared.

Maybe call Indy.

It was pretty close to ten years ago that I received the 400-3. My recollection is that the runners were uneven and ragged at the head face.

Don't know if this helps........but...........

I just went out and measured the RPM heads we were using on that engine and we had ported the heads and intake manifold out to 1-1/4" wide and 2-5/8" tall. The intake manifold face of the runners were definitely smaller than that when we stared.

Maybe call Indy.
Cool I will, thank you !

-
Back