-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
013 (2).JPG
014 (3).JPG
001a.JPG
Tried a 15x7 on my early A today. Anybody use 15x8's without air shocks or moving the springs in? I have a pair of 15x7 rally's with a 4" offset. I used the chart on the ET Wheel site and picked out a tire that would fit. I searched a few of my shops today and found a tire the right size to use for mock up. It was a P215/70R15. With the 8.7" section width, I had 1" clearance between the tire and spring, 1 1/8" clearance between the sidewall and the wheel lip on the outside of the tire, and 2" between the front of the tire and the wheel opening. I should be able to go with a 225 or even a 235 as long as I stay below a 10" section width. I know they don't look that much bigger in the photos they look way better in person.

Last edited:
What Keith said.Has that mid sixties stock class vibe. Shocked,has that much clearance.

Tried a 15x7 on my early A today. Anybody use 15x8's without air shocks or moving the springs in? I have a pair of 15x7 rally's with a 4" offset. I used the chart on the ET Wheel site and picked out a tire that would fit. I searched a few of my shops today and found a tire the right size to use for mock up. It was a P215/70R15. With the 8.7" section width, I had 1" clearance between the tire and spring, 1 1/8" clearance between the sidewall and the wheel lip on the outside of the tire, and 2" between the front of the tire and the wheel opening. I should be able to go with a 225 or even a 235 as long as I stay below a 10" section width. I know they don't look that much bigger in the photos they look way better in person. tmm

Our car has a B body 8.75" rear housing, with virtually no modification, in our '64 Valiant 4-door.
We did have to move the spring mounts in about an inch on each side, but aside from ordering some wheels with different backspacing, that's all we did.
We don't have air shocks, but do have some coil-over helper springs that give maybe, a 1" lift.

We need a Panhard bar because sometimes, the wheel rubs the inner fender panel.

The wheels are 15"-tall and 8" wide. The tires are 9"-wide bias ply slicks. 26"-tall.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• 100_3622-001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 605
  • 100_3679-001.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 100_3641.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 602
Nice info,B.D. Did you run the offset D/C perches? Have them,on my 72 Valiant. Just asking.

Off set hangers and rolled the wheel lip slightly moved the diff back 1'',and was able to use 15x8 rims with a 255r60 tire.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 543
Dang, Haven't seen that car for a long while. Thanks.
I'd like to tub one or at least mini tub but not the one I own. tmm (I need a post car) lol

BD and Dartman, Those are some good sized meats! They look good!
I am looking for a 225 or a 235 to try. tmm

Nice info,B.D. Did you run the offset D/C perches? Have them,on my 72 Valiant. Just asking.

Thanks.

No, there are NO chassis mods to get these tires on the cars...beyond rolling the inside of the lip, which was rubbing the tire a little...

Oh yes: I did have to raise both the '72 and the '64 with coil-over "helper" springs to gain some clearance at the inner wheel well. Helped a little...

Im putting a pair of 15x8 rallies and 255/60r15s on the back of my wagon soon, but its different because it has radius wheel arches..:bootysha:

Off set hangers and rolled the wheel lip slightly moved the diff back 1'',and was able to use 15x8 rims with a 255r60 tire.
I love it!!! What hangers did you use? How much are the springs inboard from stock? What backset do you have on the wheels? Thanks!!!

I found a P225-70-15 to try. A bigger tire but still more room. I need a 15x8 with the correct offset. LOL They look so much bigger in person. Naw These are ok.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 313
Nice, nice car Toolmanmike. What wheels do you have on the front? I used to have a 63 Valiant with steel wheels painted body color, baby moon chrome caps, and trim rings. Looked good.

Thanks Inspector! The fronts are stock 14x6's with polished trim rings and red stripe dog dish caps.

-
Back