Trophy Hunters

-

whitey

Reaction score
Got a guy I work with caught the muscle car bug right after I got my Dart. He searched all over in a few states and ended up with a 68 camaro, practically restored. So he did some minor painting of parts, cleaned it slightly, painted the bottom with POR15. Anything major like recover the seats, or remove the engine, repaint it and put a Chrome Eddel intake on he paid someone else to do.
This guy then caught the TROPHY bug. He wanted to win trophies so bad at car shows. He would ask people who won what they used and how they did things. Then he would study where to park and when to get to the show. Soon he started winning and wouldn't go anywhere unless there were awards and if he had a chance one.
Fast Forward to this year, He wins a few awards. The last 3 places he goes to he didn't win anything, one show the judges walk RIGHT PAST his and a few other trophy hunters cars...NOW...he wants to sell his car because he didn't win anything.

AWWWWWWW...poor baby! Didn't win a trophy!!!!
Get a life, with all the problems this guy has with his family and here at work, ya figure a day away from everything, just him and his wife enjoying peoples company, good food, good music, benefiting a church no less and he has to create problems!!!!

Last show I was at, I was next to a 68 Camero. Got talking to the guy and asked him if he built it. He did not, bought it as shown at Hot August Nights in Reno last year. Now the car was beautiful and I could not find a defect and neither could the judges, he won the founders award. Paid 30K for the car, washed & waxed it & started winning--------
Now I know at these things that Owner Built does not add any points. That's ok with me, 4 shows this year and I have been the only Comet at each one. Haven't seen a lot of 67 notches at these shows either. When I start showing both cars, I expect I will be one of one at a lot of them but being "Owner Built" I don't expect to win anything either. My cars have defects, hard to find to the average guy but easy for the judges to spot. Seems like it's all Cameros, Mustangs, Chevelles and a few Mopars anyway.
My$00.02, Rat

What a sphincter.

A camaro is always gonna get a trophy.
That's all people know.

I had my cuda parked next to two camaro's last weekend at a general car show.
There were only about 60 cars there.

I had flocks of people coming up to my car to tell me how much they liked it, I even let a couple guys let their little kids sit in the drivers seat.

The camaro's I was parked next to had alot of paint and interior issues, engines kinda ratty looking compared to my car.

One guy in particular spent alot of time looking at my car and kept telling me how beautiful it was and was asking alot of questions.

It turns out he gave out two trophies for his personal favorites as he was the show organizer.

He gave them both to the camaro guys and I just laughed to myself and chalked it up as another lame camaro lover. LOL.

Clearly every show has different categories, judges, and sometimes just personal favorites or friends cars, club members who get insider priveledges.

I personally could care less about trophies due to those reasons and just go to talk cars and have fun.

Yes I too have hunted trophies.
It seems it all started this year. I took my daily driver (only car see avitar) of 2 winters to an early spring show.
I suffer from low self esteem due to forced lay off and too old to hire.
Low budget now, I wanted to go to an early spring show & was a nice day so I washed my wifes 67 and my 64. Cleaned out the interiors and packed the lawn chairs and a couple of books.
Had a blast but witnessed the things you speek of regular trophy hunters above. We were largely ignored but the Mopar people talked to us & the "big guys" who usually duke it out for best of show stopped by to tell us we were getting recognized. (Must be bill collectors, dang it!, they didn't know we were here!!!)
Long story short, both of our quickwash daily drivers won gas pump trophies! Too cool! But most important we got badly needed door prizes, $50 at walmart & $20 local grocery store! That was way cool!! GROCERIES!!:love7:
We have had a great time this summer and have met some great people. But have seen & heard things I would rather not go into. Some of these show guys are pretty serious!!!
Us?
67 = 2 shows, 1 trophy
64 = 5 shows, 3 trophies (all of which I would have bet money if I had any that we would not have won), some really cool door prizes, and some nice people & times! However, still don't understand the rubbing & buffing all day.
I usually pull in, set up chairs, cooler, & shade & CHILLAX!!!
Party on Wayne!:-D
I have now stopped showing, time to cut out some rust and seal them up for winter driving! Yea undercoating & fresh paint!!

I go to shows to have fun BS with other car people and check out some cool cars. I also find my self injoying the drive to and from the show. Just me my girl friend and the Dart out on the open road. A trophy will sit on a shelf collecting dust and one day find its way in to the trash but the memorys of driving my car will last a life time. I don't even stay for the trophy announcments. I am all ready long gone tearing up the open road.

i can't stand trophy whores. its stupid. go all nuts for a stinking 99 cent trophy given to you by someone that most likely has no idea what they are looking at anyway. all they like is the color or all the stupid chrome allover the engine compartment.

Got a guy I work with caught the muscle car bug right after I got my Dart. He searched all over in a few states and ended up with a 68 camaro, practically restored. So he did some minor painting of parts, cleaned it slightly, painted the bottom with POR15. Anything major like recover the seats, or remove the engine, repaint it and put a Chrome Eddel intake on he paid someone else to do.
This guy then caught the TROPHY bug. He wanted to win trophies so bad at car shows. He would ask people who won what they used and how they did things. Then he would study where to park and when to get to the show. Soon he started winning and wouldn't go anywhere unless there were awards and if he had a chance one.
Fast Forward to this year, He wins a few awards. The last 3 places he goes to he didn't win anything, one show the judges walk RIGHT PAST his and a few other trophy hunters cars...NOW...he wants to sell his car because he didn't win anything.

AWWWWWWW...poor baby! Didn't win a trophy!!!!
Get a life, with all the problems this guy has with his family and here at work, ya figure a day away from everything, just him and his wife enjoying peoples company, good food, good music, benefiting a church no less and he has to create problems!!!!

Stamp collecting is a good hobby!!

During my AutoCross days we had a guy in our club like that, had a real nice Pantera. Anyway, we had a show at the local mall, in the winter and in-doors. We decided we would keep things low key so we had one award which was people's choice. The car that won was my buddies MGB road race car. The Pantera owner was PO'd and really made a fuss and really embarrassed our club membership as well as himself. Anyway, at the next meeting we have him a special award for his car, a bowling trophy for best of show.

My wife's uncle has a nice '66 Corvete convert. that his father bought new. It has been all redone. I have seen him all out of shape because he won nothing. He don't get it. It's just a Corvete. Seems like only Corvete people go crazy over Corvetes. Lets see, By it new, don't drive/enjoy it, park and polish it for twenty years, then brag about the condition and how much they think it's worth. I wouls be more impressed with a Nova that help 4 kids get to school,games,groceries,etc. in nice shape.
Money doesn't by talent or class.

A camaro is always gonna get a trophy.
That's all people know.

I personally could care less about trophies ... just go and have fun.

AMEN BRO...
I think these peoplr take the fun out of it...the vehicle should be the trophie ,isn't that what your there for...the cars.

i can't stand trophy whores. its stupid. go all nuts for a stinking 99 cent trophy given to you by someone that most likely has no idea what they are looking at anyway. all they like is the color or all the stupid chrome allover the engine compartment.

OH MAN...A SECOND AMEN!!!!!

The people stopping and chatting, the kids giving thumbs up. One instance where a ten or eleven year old kid says "hey, Mister, this car is cool." The people hanging around your car to look it over and say things like "build it yourself, nice job!" Folks waving to you on the street as you cruise by. All priceless and worth a helluva lot more than a trophy ever will be.

The people stopping and chatting, the kids giving thumbs up. One instance where a ten or eleven year old kid says "hey, Mister, this car is cool." The people hanging around your car to look it over and say things like "build it yourself, nice job!" Folks waving to you on the street as you cruise by. All priceless and worth a helluva lot more than a trophy ever will be.

Well put.... When I got into this car thing, I never intended it to be a trailer queen or 100 point show car.. It started when Monica and I started dating 7 years ago.. we went to a car show, and talked about how we would both like to be cruising someday, hit a show, pull chairs out of the trunk, enjoy good company and look at cool cars..

Thats the plan I have stuck with... I had limited knowledge when I started.. My Dart is a long way from done, but already it has brought me closer to my gear head friends, brought alot of joy to Monica and I... and introduced me to so many great people... I love when people tell me im doing a good job with it, I love the looks.. and yeah, I like when a kid gives me the thumbs up, or a group of them yell and scream for a burnout LOL (sometimes they get lucky too LMAO) ...

I go to shows to get away from the stress of regular living.. talk to cool people and just relax and stare...

I too seen my share of trophy hunters. One guy I know of used to have a '67 camaro which was nice,used to ***** if another camaro won and he didn't and would complain about this guys car and nitpick to everybody about it. I like going to the shows to enjoy myself,BS'ing with people,and looking at cars and babes. If I win a trophy,hey that's cool but I like hearing people complimenting my car more.

John

I don't like catalog cars either. Typical catalog car guy only knows how much $$ and supplier, not what wrecking yard, cool dude or swap meet. I know of parts that have taken guys years to find versus buying catalog repops, hunting them is half the fun.

my car is my trophy i dont need a little trophy to tell everone how "cool" my car is all i care about is the thumbs up at stop lights and the compliments at shows lol

Number one: He bought a Camaro. Doesn't that pretty much sum it up?

Number two: Paid others to do the work?
And the difference between him and people that pay (fill in the blank) to "restore" a Hemi Cuda for The Gold at the Nationals would be what?
(I probably shouldn't use a Chrysler for an example. That's a retorical question. Let's change it to anyone that pays others to do the restoration.)

First time we took the roadrunner to a show we won first in our class and got a trophy! They called off the second and third place people and we kinda looked at each other and went "oh well", and then they called our names. We were thrilled me won. Since then, we've won one other trophy and thats because there were only 3 or so cars in the class and it was a rainy, crappy day. Sure we felt great to get that first one, but we could care less going to a show and expecting to place in the upper part of the class or whatever. I think we only enter in 1 or 2 judged shows all year, and we sometimes chose not to enter is judging to begin with. We have a lot of people that drool over the car and ask questions and give us the thumbs up as they walk away. To us, that's better than a trophy. I must say I am tired of the chebbies winning the trophies though, haha.

Number one: He bought a Camaro. Doesn't that pretty much sum it up?

Number two: Paid others to do the work?
And the difference between him and people that pay (fill in the blank) to "restore" a Hemi Cuda for The Gold at the Nationals would be what?
(I probably shouldn't use a Chrysler for an example. That's a retorical question. Let's change it to anyone that pays others to do the restoration.)

I don't think that was the point, because there is no difference... I just think that chevies such as camaroes and chevelles will always win more than a dart or cuda unless your at a mopar show of some sort. Having ANYONE win a trophy, which is usually the GM guys, that doesnt do the work on their own car or pays to have it done for them is just a slap in the face to the guys that do their own work.

I've seen one guy (69 Camaro owner) who soaked so much money TO HAVE SOMEONE restore his camaro win second place. After he got his plaque he threw it right in the trash in front of the judges saying, "second place is first place looser!"

Douchebag... refuse it, let someone else have it.

I agree Ryan426, my car is my trophie. Origionally my intention was to vent about the beanhead I work with, wants to sell his car because he didn't win a trophy in 3 shows.

-
Back