Trouble mating 727 to a 440 - HELP ;)

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Hey everyone, frustrating afternoon. Finally got enough free time to try and mate the 727 to the 440, and it didn't fit. The Bell Housing stands off about 1/2 - 3/4" from the engine. The Bolt holes line up perfectly, and the Converter is inserted all the way into the Trans input shaft, but when I tighten them can't pull the transmission in any closer than 1/2" Obviously these didn't come out of the same car, and think this may be have mated to the 400 before.

Any suggestions, are there spacer plates available?

Thanks

Pat

How far from the tranny bellhousing are the torque convertor threaded mounting tabs when it is unbolted from the engine (ie, how much clearance from the front of the flange)? I wanna say that mine was about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch. I thought my convertor was fully seated but played with it some more and gained another half an inch

Thanks, I've pulled the converted and tried turnning and reseating it several time. I feel the input shaft seat, then the pump the tangs seat in the cut-outs. I does seem to be about an 1/2" though that it's hanging over. I'll play with alittle more and see what happens. Thanks :).

How far from the tranny bellhousing are the torque convertor threaded mounting tabs when it is unbolted from the engine (ie, how much clearance from the front of the flange)? I wanna say that mine was about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch. I thought my convertor was fully seated but played with it some more and gained another half an inch

Oh btw, did you have any force of just rotating the converter to align all the shaft all the machines shafts and splines?

No. I just pulled it back about an eighth of an inch rotated very little and then tried to seat it more. eventually it got to where it was fully seated. I took a straight edge and drew a line on the inside of the bell housing with a sharpie so I knew that when I installed it for the final time it was in the whole way. You didnt install your flex plate the wrong way did you?

From the bell housing, to face of ring gear- 1 1/4", or not seated. Does the snout of the converter fit in the crank?

I think so, I installed the Flex Plate with the Raised Center towards the Transmission, and the mounting flanges towards the Engine.

|
|
/
/
|
|
Trans | Engine
|
\
\
|
|

No. I just pulled it back about an eighth of an inch rotated very little and then tried to seat it more. eventually it got to where it was fully seated. I took a straight edge and drew a line on the inside of the bell housing with a sharpie so I knew that when I installed it for the final time it was in the whole way. You didnt install your flex plate the wrong way did you?

I'll take a measurement and confirm, thanks for the info. As for the Converter snout, yes it fit and slide into the crank without any issues. I'm going out and play with it right now.

It sounds like you put the flexplate on correctly and with the fact you said the converter snout fits into and turns inside the crank I'm going for the fact the converter isn't seated in the transm. oil pump tangs.

It sounds like you put the flexplate on correctly and with the fact you said the converter snout fits into and turns inside the crank I'm going for the fact the converter isn't seated in the transm. oil pump tangs.

I agree. It sounds like the converter just isn't all the way in. Sometimes they can be a PITA to go in. Other times they slide right in. If you have the trans out of the car you can stand it on the tailshaft and drop it in they usually go easier.

But the imput shaft spline count changed some where around 67-68 or so. You may have the wrong converter for the year of the transmission? I think they were like 18 spline on the early ones and 24 on the late?

But the imput shaft spline count changed some where around 67-68 or so. You may have the wrong converter for the year of the transmission? I think they were like 18 spline on the early ones and 24 on the late?

Good thinking. That could be it. Something to check if it won't go together.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help, I've pulled an tried reseating the converter several times. It feels like it's seated, and with alittle shaking did feel it slide in alittle farther. It would be nice there was a space to get a mirror back behind the converter and see if it is truly seated all the way ;). Here's what it looks like, does this look right?

Transconverter.jpg

ConverterType.jpg

ConverterMeasure.jpg

Thanks again for all the help ;).

hard to tell from the pics but that converter doesn't look all the way in to me. whatever you do don't pull the trans in with the bolts. you will break the ears off the pump. they can be stubborn sometimes. hold the converter hub and wiggle and spin the converter while pushing it in. sooner or later it will drop in as long as the spline cound is correct.

Yeah, it sure looks like it needs to go in farther. Those mounting bosses look like their flush with the bell housing- not far enough

Thanks :), I'm also going to count my Splines as well. Not sure what year this 727 came out of. I'm learning a lot when you try to piece together a car from scratch ;).

Don't look all the way in to me either. The flexplate mounting lugs need to go in at least 1/2". Tacfire if you look on the drivers side right above eh pan rail (pan mounting surface) there is a place machined flat and the identifying numbers stamped on there. sometimes it's grease covered so you have to clean it off before you can read the numbers but get those numbers and post them and I can tell you what it came out of and the year of it.

Also look on the drivers side about half way up on the main case and you'll find the trans part number and the two diget year is usually there also.

Don't know if it matters but is there a pilot bearing in the crank? Was the engine out of a manual?

My first priority would be getting the numbers off the the tranny as was mentioned. It always helps when you know for sure what your tryng to mate. It would be a a bummer if your problems where just mix matched parts. Good luck with your issue and most important......don't force it.

Guys, thanks for all the help, it finally went in with a lot of turning and shaking. Now have that beautiful Inch and a Quarter clearance from the housing to the ring gear. I'll post those numbers tomorrow. hthanks again for all the help.

Those damn things can get frustrating cant they!? Glad you got it seated. You may want to make a reference mark just in case you have to take it apart again.

-
Back