trouble shooting starter issue.

-

19scamp72

Reaction score
I am having starter issues with my 1972 scamp it will not fire with key... I jump the starter it will run... I changed my starter thinking solenoid issue but still have same problem, I have checked wiring it seems fine. Any ideas?

Find the starter relay left inner fender. Pull the yellow wire and put a test light between it and ground propped up so you can see it. Turn switch to start. If the test light doesn't come on the ign' switch or its harness connector under the column is the fault.
If test light comes on every time the switch goes to start. Put the yellow back and pull the brown Check it from battery pos post. If their isn't a ground path on the brown wire the neutral safety switch is the fault.

If it was neutral safety switch it should still start in neutral right?

Had similar issue. If you test your yellow ign switch wire and it passes mustard, Pull the tape off your NSS harness and check it out, the brown wire as mentioned is your NSS wire, the other two are backup light wires. Your NSS wire has a factory "welded splice" in it. Mine was barely hanging on when I uncovered it and basically fell apart as I removed it from the engine bay. Long story short worth checking! Years of bending, moving, hot and cold can weaken that splice. Good luck! Wiring gremlins are frustrating!

EASIEST quick test is.........

1..........Twist key to start and hold it......wiggle shifter from park to neutral. If you get a response, the NSS is going bad, or linkage out of adjustment, or the wiring connector is loose on the NSS

2..........Make certain it's in park or neutral. Go out and disconnect the quick connector on the starter relay which goes down over the transmission. Take a clip lead and ground that terminal, see if it cranks. If so, NSS problems as in 1 above

If no crank in 2 above, do 3 below

3........Do Red's test above, which is determining if you are getting "start" voltage from the key

4.......If you have tried 2 and 3 and it won't crank, it likely is a bad relay. LISTEN for the relay click. Then jumper across the relay exposed large terminals. This proves the wiring to the starter is OK. Replace the relay.

-
Back