trouble with new plug wires and distributer

-

360Duster75

Reaction score
I'm having hell in a hand basket in my 440 now. The distributer I have is a pita because I've never seen it and can't find a diagram for the wires to go on to it so my car is backfiring and won't start and I have the fireing order right I believe.18436572 not sure what's going on.

Which way do you have the wires? Clockwise or counterclockwise rotation?

Attachments

• 440 SP Wiring.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 316
I dont see a question in there, and no relevent information either.
Im going to take a wild guess here; In which direction are your wires marching from #1? clockwise would be right on a smallblock, but on a BB, they go thataway, that is to say; CCW.
Doh, Badsport you beat me to it.

I guess you're gonna have to help us help you.

More info on how you installed the dizzy.

What distributor do you have?

etc etc etc

I kinda worded title wrong the dizzy isn't new and I'm not sure what brand it is honestly no markings or numbers which is odd. I'm thinking of just buying a new mad one.

Take the dizzy out andset the motorat TDC on the compression stroke, turn the distributor rotor so its pointing towards number 1 cyl and stick it back in, the plug terminal that is right above the center of the rotor is for #1 plug wire, then going counter clockwise instal the wires according to th firing order 18436572, i always advance it just a tad then start it and put a tming light on it

Take the dizzy out andset the motorat TDC on the compression stroke, turn the distributor rotor so its pointing towards number 1 cyl and stick it back in, the plug terminal that is right above the center of the rotor is for #1 plug wire, then going counter clockwise instal the wires according to th firing order 18436572, i always advance it just a tad then start it and put a tming light on it

It can only go in one of two ways (right and 180 out)

It would be good to make sure the rotor is pointing at no.1 at TDC though and not number 6.

you also need to make sure the oil pump drive is in correct, that is if you took it out for some reason.

is the dizzy vacum advance or is it mechanical?

before I would start all over, I would turn the dizzy's rotor 180* from where it is now and try to start the car again. if the resuslts are still the same then start all over.

You're gonna have to provide some better info, or post a pic or two. We have no idea at this point what you got going there.

Did the car run at all before hand?

If no and you have gone over the wires to be sure they are correct then have you turned the distributor to see if your too far advanced or retarded?

If yes then follow what twayne says and make sure your on #1 intake stroke. If you are installing the distributor then there is a good chance your 180* out and when you have a 50-50 chance to get it right, 90% of the time its 180* out.

As other have eluded too, start your wiring from where the rotor points too. Some caps have a "1" molded in and this can help or hinder. Just be sure you start your wiring sequence from where the rotor points to on the cap.

Its easy to get frustrated, at that point walk away, clear your thoughts and look at it again. 9 times out of 10 its something simple but you just have to relax and look it over with a cool head. A beer helps.

back in the old days when I had some $$$ and had the local machine shop build me fresh engines, I would have everything new BUT the dizzy. seems every time, the problem with getting it started was that dist!!!! LOL I finally learned to quit using the old dizzy!!! now days, ya got parts sourced out to china and its crab from the get go.
once you get the hang of the whole thing just explained by these guys, it will be simple,
like they say, best to always get some sorta of copy of the FSM for your car. if you work on it, you will always refer to it every time! good luck.

One thing I have noticed over the years; There are several different ways of learning. Some things I learn by reading. Some by doing.Some by watching. And some just by hashing it out in my head.Some things I cant learn at all.
-Believe it or not,some people,still today, cant read ,have difficulty reading, or their heads turn words into alphabet soup. A blanket statement, like" Get a book, learn something",just reveals something about your attitude.
Sometimes I can be,rude, mean, and inconsiderate.For the most part I choose not to be.
-I have lots of books.I have one friend.I visit them regularly.

-On the other hand,some folks are just lazy.Sometimes Im one of them.

the rotor can can point to China for all it matters. don't rely on that BS because you have no idea who has been in there before. pull the #1 plug, bump the engine around until you find the piston at the top of the hole with a screwdriver. find the #1 wire on the cap and twist the distributor until it is right on top of the rotor. put the plug back in and triple check your firing order going the right direction on the cap. if it spits and wont start , pop the distributor out and turn the rotor 180 degrees. then get a timing light on it when it fires.

This is the pos I'm working with some no name HEI. Only thing I can come up with is the accels are falling apart in the boots. Looks messy but at this point I disconnected all the wires.

Attachments

• IMG_20150130_192429493.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 153
-
Back