Troublesome Brake Light Issue

-

zavenx

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I have a 1971 dodge dart swinger slant six 225 and I have this strange tail light issue I hope you Mopar Gurus can help me with. All my lights work fine EXCEPT for one nagging issue. When the headlights are On and the brakes are pressed the Passenger Side tail light goes out. Turn Signal still works, reverse lights work, and when you release the brake pedal the tail light comes right back on. What could be causing this to happen in just this one condition??? Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

If your sockets are molded into the housing they can loose ground.
This can be tested by touching a ground (trunk latch on the body works good) and touch the other end to the bulb socket itself.
Of course you have to have someone hold the brake while you do it, or stick something on the brake pedal to hold the brakelights on.

Can we assume you've replaced the bulb ?
Faulty bulbs or wrong bulbs ( 1156 in 1157 socket ) can do strange things too.

^^^ He means 180 degrees out, with the 'bayonet pins' on the bulb base on opposite sides of where they should be. The right bulb will have 2 pins down on the side of the bulb base; they are at slightly different heights, and the socket has the matching slots at slightly different heights. The bulb has to go in the right way, or yo will get 'winking' lights.

^^^ He means 180 degrees out, with the 'bayonet pins' on the bulb base on opposite sides of where they should be. The right bulb will have 2 pins down on the side of the bulb base; they are at slightly different heights, and the socket has the matching slots at slightly different heights. The bulb has to go in the right way, or yo will get 'winking' lights.
Yes, that's what I meant, Thanks.

Thanks guys... I knew the Mopar OG's would have a solution... Turned out to be a faulty ground on the housing... ran a jumper to establish and new ground and i am back in action..

Sweet!

-
Back