Truck compared to Car SBM

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Curious, about LA thru Magnum engines. Are there any differences from truck 318's and 360's to the ones that are in the cars? Longer, different ears for the mounts, etc... Or will they still bolt in the same?

LA just the oil pan, pickup and exhaust maniflolds.
I don't know of a factory ever put a Magnum in a car.

As far as I know they are all the same from a casting standpoint...

In LA you get into a heavy enough truck, there were differences, mostly the heads. Some of the heavy truck engines used "big" Ford style spark plugs, 18mm tapered seat.

Thanks guys,

The reason I ask is because on craigslist there are a lot of LA 318's and then it goes to the Magnum 318 and 360's but like I said, all out of trucks. I just didnt want to pick up a engine and have it be a useless boat anchor.

many truck LA motors used rotators under the exhaust valves, you can tell by the shorter springs and thicker retainers. I think some 318-3 truck motors used forged cranks past 68 and my have used sodium exhaust valves.

Only thing I can add to this is my car came with a 318 and I believe it was a truck motor.
The dipstick was rubbing into the hood insulation, so-longer dipstick on trucks:tongue3:

many truck LA motors used rotators under the exhaust valves, you can tell by the shorter springs and thicker retainers. I think some 318-3 truck motors used forged cranks past 68 and my have used sodium exhaust valves.

I remember reading the 70 truck motors had forged cranks. I had a 72 B100 Van with a 318/3speed manual/8 3/4" with a forged crank.

IQ52 told me that truck engines with manual transmissions came with forged cranks - I cannot remember if that was usually or always, but I guess even some of the 400 big blocks in trucks even came with manuals???

I think being truck AND manual makes the difference-from a listening, keyboard commando...

-
Back