Truck shopping

-
You certainly will have more details on each brand but this specifically is hogwash. I say that because your buddy made changes from the factory tire size. I fish with a guy and when we use his bassboat his Tundra gets the job done and then some. You don't ev
yes the tundra gets bad mpg but is supposed to be a real beast towing and all.. stock 4.30 gears.

I fish tournaments and when my partner uses his boat it's behind his Tundra. You hardly know it's back there.....

If a 5.7 won't get the job done for someone's towing needs they are probably in the wrong class of truck. But I will agree it's not stellar on gas mileage but IMO that's part of the package with a gas motor....

JW

I have a 2014 Ram with 5.7 hemi with 72,000 miles zero problems and gets 21-22 mpg everyday driving. Have got over 25 on interstate trying to drive right. I went to Tn back in summer and bought a big Vermeer round hay baler. When i got there it was getting 23.2 but when I towed the baler back which pulls hard with the weight, wind drag and big tires I was down to 16.8 mpg but had plenty of power so I was pleased. I bought one new 1/2 Ford in 1980 and was the worst vehicle I have ever owned and swore I would never own another. I have had several Toyota 4X4 while working in mines and the were good trucks. The best Toyota was 1985 Turbo diesel 4X4. I have always had at least one Dodge in one form or another since 1967.

2007 Ram 2500, 5.9 CTD. 266,000 miles, hasn’t missed a beat. Secret to getting the best out of the CTDs is maintenance. Oil, lube and periodic tranny fluid changes is what keeps these trucks out of the repair shops.

i have a 17 tacoma. nice truck.. i expected a little better mpg but it is what it is.. only 8-10 mpg when towing the trailer but hey that thing is 5500 pounds and has the aerodynamics of a cinder block... has never lacked the power to tow that trailer though. its just tight with 3 dogs and the daughter in the back.. most likely going full size in a year or two..

View attachment 1715252725
What engine, and what do you get for mileage running around empty?

What engine, and what do you get for mileage running around empty?

it has the v6 automatic... i have gotten as good at 22mpg on the highway if you keep it at 70-75mph and lower but i'm hardly ever going that slow on the highway... i'd say normal combined driving its getting about 17-19 mpg.

Why are all the new trucks so damned ugly? Its as if they are all competing to be the most hideous turd in the parking lot. Gigantic grilles, huge frontal areas, an overall "thick" profile only slightly smaller than Rosie O'Donnell....

Got it narrowed down to Ram or F 150. Both 2018's. Both pretty well equipped. $49,000 window stickers with $13,000 off. Hemi in the Ram, and 5.0 L in the Ford. The Ford has a 5 star safety rating. Decisions-decisions??

Got it narrowed down to Ram or F 150. Both 2018's. Both pretty well equipped. $49,000 window stickers with $13,000 off. Hemi in the Ram, and 5.0 L in the Ford. The Ford has a 5 star safety rating. Decisions-decisions??

Take both of them for a drive, only you can decide.

I drove my buddies F-150 with a 5.0 for about 30 miles one time, you could not give me that under powered pos, it was one of the newer ones with the aluminum body.

Drove them both today. Power wise, I didn't notice much difference. 395 HP is way more than I'm use to, and I'm sure way more than I will need. Car and Driver shows 14.4 quarter mile. ????

Go with a dodge and buy the maxi care package so you'll never ever have a worry about anything. A simple 100 dollar deductible and your set. It's so worth the 2-3k up front cost. Especially when older and retired though I'm not. I have the maxi care on all my Chrysler's. Used the warranty cost and much more on both my mini van and the Durango.

I have a 12 Tacoma six cylinder six speed. Runs like a champ. Kind of crappy gas mileage, but will last. A Toyota, if it fits your needs, may be the last truck you buy.

Whatever I buy, will most likely be the last truck I buy. The last one I bought was a '95 F-150, in '96. I get the Tacoma thing. I have a '95 Tacoma with 300,000 miles, that still runs like a champ. 4 cylinder, pretty much bullet proof like the 300 six in my Ford. I'm pretty much set on either an F-150, or a Ram 1500.

If you have always gone with Ford's I'd say give the hemi ram a run. Something fun, different and new. I know a couple guys that have them. They all love the power and comfort. I have a 6.0 powerstroke 1 ton ford 4 door long box. After literally putting 10k in it this last year its a great truck. My little ranger parts runner is a great truck, always runs and kills it milage wise. But I've been looking at the hemi trucks lately for myself as well. So, while I do like my fords, I'm voting for the hemi.

I wouldn’t buy a ram truck even with someone else’s money.

I know like 3 people that bought trucks over the last few years. Looked at them all and ended up with a tundra. Between the price and inside room that’s the choice they made.

I’ll be looking for a new full size in about a year and have been keeping an eye on all makes (except the ram)and to honest I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with myself buying anything from the big three. I’ll look at them all (except the ram) and drive them all and see what I like and how comfortable I am with the product.

Looking around at what’s on the road they all seem to have a bad rust problem. Hate to spend 50k on a truck to have it rusty in 6 years. The ford being alumn I guess won’t have that problem.
Aluminum F150 ya sure, you wont have a rust problem, but if you use it like a truck, it will reward you with holes in the bed. Plus if you live where it hails a lot the repair costs end up double that of a steel body truck. No thanks.

Whatever you do get, If you live in the rust belt its worth it to get it rust proofed and undercoated to extend its life by another 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Truck won't be my daily driver. ( I have 5 other vehicles to drive) It will spend most of it's life under a carport. Regardless of which one I get, I'll have a bed liner in it. Probably a drop in, verses a spray on. I try not to abuse any of my vehicles. Other that the rust on my '95 Ford, it's in good shape. Very few dents or scratches. And, yes, it has been used as a truck.

I did the spray in liner on my 1994 silverado just this past tuesday. I tend to keep them for a long time too. Like till i die.

2017 Ram crew cab 4x4 hemi. Dealer demo with only 30 miles on it. Has 8,000 miles now, all is good. I would have went 6 cyl but the 8 spd trans is a $1500 upgrade. You cant get the 8 spd with the hemi. Stupid.
Saved quite a bit being a dealer demo.
Test drive one for a couple days?

The 2018 I'm looking at is a Hemi with an 8 speed. I drove the Ford again today. Going back to drive the Ram Friday.

The 2018 I'm looking at is a Hemi with an 8 speed. I drove the Ford again today. Going back to drive the Ram Friday.
I love my 2014 Ram with hemi and 8 speed. Gets around 21 mpg and plenty of power plus good ride

A90F0D4F-F34C-44ED-8300-4973C0BD0010.jpeg
I have a 2010 z71 LTZ, the 07-11 trucks had the oil consumption problem because of the stupid active fuel management system burned almost a quart of oil every 5000 miles. I had to buy a tuner to keep it v8 all the time. Drop the oil pan to add a five dollar oil umbrella shield over the oil squirter, replace the valve cover because the PCV was ingesting oil, then added a oil catch can. Well after all that I’m at 90,000 still runs good and I burn about a 1/4 of oil every 5,000mile change. It’s a truck and I treat as such. I punished it, it’s been on the bump stops more than I can count loaded with rock, sod, sand, railroad ties, landscaping bricks, even full loads of cow ****. It gets the job done. If I can get at least another 100,000 out of it I say it’s a damn good truck.

I have a F-150 lariat. I simply love it. It is a 4x4 so the gas hurts a little. But I think it's the best truck I've ever owned. And it's comfy. Been to Jersey in it. Ga and north Fl a couple times.

Going to check another Ford dealer today. They are advertising a lifetime powertrain warranty. If that's true, it's a no brainer. Last new truck I bought was in '96.

-
Back