True Bracket Car vs True Street Car....

-
But more or less, I see the dedicated bracket racers on this site look at a street car ET (anyone's car), and say "you could drop XX if you get your 60 ft down". Seems bracket racers have more of that for an answer. For instance, my 318 Duster did high 14's at just about 95 mph and instantly the 2.2 60 ft was the topic. I'm asking is it hard for them to "think" with 2.76 gears, stock converter, and a 318 in a full weight car that it's probably not going to push better without the help of a converter and gears - which is moving towards "bracket racing" set up. LOL... Maybe I'm just being confusing and not making sense.. :D :D Could be... I don't know

Getting 60 foot down is tuning suspension, carb, and convertor. The first 60 foot is by far the most important part in getting a car to perform up to snuff at the track. There is nothing “ unstreetable” about making this number good. In other words, having a car that 60 foots good doesnt make it less driveable going to dunkin donuts
One of the biggest mistakes i see people make is assuming a good 8 inch convertor isnt streetable.
So instead they buy these cheap 3200-3800 stall 10 inch convertors which are actually less efficient and create more heat. And are half a hard on at the track... not much good
Some people will never “ get” that because they have never had such a car.
I would bet most even halfway serious Hot Rod power tour guys are running 8 inch convertors. If not more.

Getting 60 foot down is tuning suspension, carb, and convertor. The first 60 foot is by far the most important part in getting a car to perform up to snuff at the track. There is nothing “ unstreetable” about making this number good. In other words, having a car that 60 foots good doesnt make it less driveable going to dunkin donuts
One of the biggest mistakes i see people make is assuming a good 8 inch convertor isnt streetable.
So instead they buy these cheap 3200-3800 stall 10 inch convertors which are actually less efficient and create more heat. And are half a hard on at the track... not much good
Some people will never “ get” that because they have never had such a car.
I would bet most even halfway serious Hot Rod power tour guys are running 8 inch convertors. If not more.

As RRR says...PUZACTLY. 100% correct.

me too.
My car is ultra consistent at the track. Its better than the driver.
And its fun to drive around on the street.
4.30 gears, Dot radial, swing out bars, easy peasy
DOT drag radials are part of the game changer. I run them on my car, and cars in the past. I still think people with 4.XX gears, 8" converter, and a 904/727 are not thinking on taking these cars on their next 1000 mile trip. Can you find it on the Hot Rod Power Tour?? Maybe, but that's the exception, not the rule. A guy at our local strip runs a mid 80's camaro with a LS swap and ebay turbos. Runs lower 9's and can cruise 70 mph all day.

***But I have in mind our A-bodies that are "true street cars", the daily drivers, and maybe even taken on vacations, the 3.23 with an 11" converter, mild small block in a full weight car. These guys make a pass and run 14.20 @ 98 mph with a 2.0 60 ft time and the bracket racers will say "you should be at 13.0 flat. Gotta get that 60 ft down to a 1.7". How are you going to do that with 3.23's, 11" converter, and a real mild small block?? Answer is You're Not.... at least not without the converter/gear swap needed which would eliminate the true street car...

Why are true street car questions asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?...

DOT drag radials are part of the game changer. I run them on my car, and cars in the past. I still think people with 4.XX gears, 8" converter, and a 904/727 are not thinking on taking these cars on their next 1000 mile trip. Can you find it on the Hot Rod Power Tour?? Maybe, but that's the exception, not the rule. A guy at our local strip runs a mid 80's camaro with a LS swap and ebay turbos. Runs lower 9's and can cruise 70 mph all day.

***But I have in mind our A-bodies that are "true street cars", the daily drivers, and maybe even taken on vacations, the 3.23 with an 11" converter, mild small block in a full weight car. These guys make a pass and run 14.20 @ 98 mph with a 2.0 60 ft time and the bracket racers will say "you should be at 13.0 flat. Gotta get that 60 ft down to a 1.7". How are you going to do that with 3.23's, 11" converter, and a real mild small block?? Answer is You're Not.... at least not without the converter/gear swap needed which would eliminate the true street car...

Not sure on the gearing bit I know for a fact that an 8 inch converter is 100% streetable and used for drag week. I’m working on a truck now running an 8 inch drag week converter on the street. Unreal how well it drives. And the. When you stomp on it, you can tell it’s a 5k converter. Actually it’s going 5200 on this deal.

Also, most if not all the DW guys are running OD gear boxes. And pretty tall tires. So 4.xx gears aren’t really a big deal. And they often pull trailers.

The line between street, street/strip and bracket car was blurred a long time ago. I would never give up my 4.56’s. May go to 4.88’s. I’d run an OD first.

If it is asked in the racer part of the forum, then I suspect there looking for the racer to give them tip on lowering there 60’ times.

Ask a racer a racing question, then you get a racing answer.

Obviously, lowering the 60’ times is a key to a lower ET if your racing or not and it’s always an edge in a race be it at the track or back alley. But if your looking for just simple help on the engine and not the suspension, then perhaps the question is best asked in the performance section. Even though I’m sure someone will pop up and suggest lowering t the 60’.

I always say, the first one to a 100 mph will probably win the race. And yup! It will probably be the first one to clear the 60’ fastest.

What is the goal and what are you willing to live with and without?

Not sure on the gearing bit I know for a fact that an 8 inch converter is 100% streetable and used for drag week. I’m working on a truck now running an 8 inch drag week converter on the street. Unreal how well it drives. And the. When you stomp on it, you can tell it’s a 5k converter. Actually it’s going 5200 on this deal.

Also, most if not all the DW guys are running OD gear boxes. And pretty tall tires. So 4.xx gears aren’t really a big deal. And they often pull trailers.

The line between street, street/strip and bracket car was blurred a long time ago. I would never give up my 4.56’s. May go to 4.88’s. I’d run an OD first.
My interest in these "new generation converters" has peaked in the last 4 years. I'm aiming to try one. I love the idea. The last converter I bought for performance was a 10" TCI street fighter, and that was much better than the GER I bought, but was still spongy on the street if you hit a hill. And yes, OD has changed the gearing that can be run as well.

Why are true street car questions asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?...
You can race a 19 second 2.2 Omni. Racing is racing, doesn't have to be a bracket car to race. You should know this as well as anyone here....

You can race a 19 second 2.2 Omni. Racing is racing, doesn't have to be a bracket car to race. You should know this as well as anyone here....
Well I knew as soon as I said something the answer would be taking a left turn at Kmart...
"bracket racers, look at a true street car questions and give bracket car advice, namely the 60 ft."
I didn't say what could or couldn't go on the track I've seen it all.,
Again..
"Why are true street car questions asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?..."...

i only want to ever get as far from my trailer or house money will allow me to be, wallet wise. In other words, is my credit card or wallet fat enough to pay a tow bill on a flat bed with a flat rear tire, or a bad MSD box. When you get older you start considering how unpleasant a long walk on the highway might be...lol
If i have a flat with a drag radial, slick, heck most tires at 9 oclock on a Saturday night, where am i or 99% of anybody else gonna get a spare. Especially if have a spool or locker ect. Not gonna get too far on a donut spare.
To me a 50 year old car is a 50 year old car. I have plenty of cars to go on a 1000 mile hike with. A/C, cruise, CD player, that dont involve risking my classic car to a bad fate being left on the side of the road. It happens, no matter how well built

Last edited:
i only want to ever get as far from my trailer or house will allow me to be, wallet wise. In other words, is my credit card or wallet fat enough to pay a tow bill on a flat bed with a flat tear tire, or a bad MSD box. When you get older you start considering how unpleasant a long walk on the highway might be...lol
If i have a flat with a drag radial, slick, heck most tire at 9 oclock on a Saturday night, where am i or 99% of anybody else gonna get a spare. Expecially of i have a spool or locker ect. Not gonna get to far on a donut spare.
To me a 50 year old car is a 50 year old car. I have plenty of cars to go on a 1000 mile hike with. A/C, cruise, CD player, that dont involve ridking my classic car to a bad fate being left on the side of the road
Most people who want to go on long road trips by something like a conversion van or something LOL.. most people back East don't even drive these cars in the winter period...

i only want to ever get as far from my trailer or house money will allow me to be, wallet wise. In other words, is my credit card or wallet fat enough to pay a tow bill on a flat bed with a flat rear tire, or a bad MSD box. When you get older you start considering how unpleasant a long walk on the highway might be...lol
If i have a flat with a drag radial, slick, heck most tires at 9 oclock on a Saturday night, where am i or 99% of anybody else gonna get a spare. Especially if have a spool or locker ect. Not gonna get too far on a donut spare.
To me a 50 year old car is a 50 year old car. I have plenty of cars to go on a 1000 mile hike with. A/C, cruise, CD player, that dont involve risking my classic car to a bad fate being left on the side of the road. It happens, no matter how well built
LOL.. :lol: this post is actually funny....

Well I knew as soon as I said something the answer would be taking a left turn at Kmart...
"bracket racers, look at a true street car questions and give bracket car advice, namely the 60 ft."
I didn't say what could or couldn't go on the track I've seen it all.,
Again..
"Why are true street car questions asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?..."...
no left turn at Kmart. In fact, I don't know where to even find a Kmart these days.... LOL. If there was a left turn, though, it was You asking "what's a street car doing in the racing section"... which was nothing to do with the question. See how you are?

Most people who want to go on long road trips by something like a conversion van or something LOL.. most people back East don't even drive these cars in the winter period...
I don't drive my classics on the salt roads, you are correct. I do take them on long trips, though. I live on a scenic route, and a lot of classic cars tour it in the summer from all over. Most don't have 4.56 gears but still may hit the strip. My whole point was I think it's hard for bracket racers to give street advise. They want a street car that runs 104 mph to cut a 1.6 60 ft. I don't know of any that will. That's really the discussion here… can bracket racers give street advise. Sure they can, but most don't.

LOL.. :lol: this post is actually funny....

HaHA
Last time i broke down on the side of the road i ran out of gas in my Dart
Quit, wouldnt start......couldnt figure out for the life of me what was up. Had filled up the 10 gallon cell earlier that night.
My wife shows up, and says...” Honey, you didnt run out of gas did ya”... i go, “ nah, filled up earlier tonight”.... She goes...” did you even check”
Oops.... got me a top notch crew chief, looks like... its bone friggin dry☹️

Last edited:
HaHA
Quit, wouldnt start......couldnt figure out for the life of me what was up. Had filled up the 10 gallon cell earlier that night.
My wife shows up, and says...” Honey, you didnt run out of gas did ya”... i go, “ nah, filled up up earlier tonight”.... She goes...” did you even check”
Oh man! Brother, don't let your wife tell you that you are out of gas! quickly pull the coil wire or anything... just don't let her find out that your car doesn't run and you don't know you are out of gas! :D :D :D

I don't drive my classics on the salt roads, you are correct. I do take them on long trips, though. I live on a scenic route, and a lot of classic cars tour it in the summer from all over. Most don't have 4.56 gears but still may hit the strip. My whole point was I think it's hard for bracket racers to give street advise. They want a street car that runs 104 mph to cut a 1.6 60 ft. I don't know of any that will. That's really the discussion here… can bracket racers give street advise. Sure they can, but most don't.

Fastest car i have ever had, i drove to work every day in the summer(7 miles into town, 7 miles back). Drove it 70 miles round trip to the track one day, ran high 9’s, drove it home.
Went 4 rounds in a tough weekly bracket program
700 lift roller, 13 to 1 422 smallblock. Lights, wipers, back seat, steel hood, uncut, you name it. Streeter... 1.34/1.35 on leafs... 002/003 springs.
Now i am older, probably wouldn't do it again....

no left turn at Kmart. In fact, I don't know where to even find a Kmart these days.... LOL. If there was a left turn, though, it was You asking "what's a street car doing in the racing section"... which was nothing to do with the question. See how you are?
Here I quoted myself for you one more time so you've seen it three times now...
"Why are true street car *questions* asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?..."

Here I quoted myself for you one more time so you've seen it three times now...
"Why are true street car *questions* asked on the race part of the forum expecting anything else?..."
Ahhh… so you are saying "bracket racers are in the racing section so you get bracket racer answers". Fair enough. I don't agree with it, but I get your answer. Now where's Kmart ???

HaHA
My wife shows up, and says...” Honey, you didnt run out of gas did ya”... i go, “ nah, filled up earlier tonight”.... She goes...” did you even check”
quickly when the same thing happened to me I was only two blocks from the house and could bring a gas can pack and fire the car up and go home LOL for the life of me I thought I had plenty...

I said it first... OH wait, I’m on your ignore list!
:rofl:

Ahhh… so you are saying "bracket racers are in the racing section so you get bracket racer answers". Fair enough. I don't agree with it, but I get your answer. Now where's Kmart ???
I think most street cars that want to go faster/quicker at the track have to start applying bracket racing attributes to start meeting it's wanted goals...
Personally I like all three worlds.. Street, strip, show...

-
Back