Trunk extension

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Has anybody ever attempted to make their own trunk extensions? If so did you have any success? And pics of the process?

I know but I am poor so I will be attempting to make my own. I give myself 2 attempts with metal then I will save up and buy them. I am gonna make a template out of poster board tommorrow and see if I can get it close. I know someone here probably has a good used set but I still don't have any money to buy them.

Also here is why:
AMD 99.95 ea
Stephens Performance 99.95 ea
Ebay (junk?) 69.99 ea
Jims 84.95 ea
Herbs 91 ea

I cut the cancer out of one of mine and welded in a patch. As you can see, the body drain plug was eliminated in the process.

qtrpanel04img.jpg

I dont see why not dusted, if you have access to a metal shear and break you are set. The rolled(buldges) part would be the most difficult but if you have the right roller it could be done. Good luck, I am all for doing as much myself as I can.

I cut the cancer out of one of mine and welded in a patch. As you can see, the body drain plug was eliminated in the process.

I would have done that also but the bottom couple inches are gone as well as the top has numerous holes in it.

Trunk extension removal 001.jpg

Trunk extension removal 007.jpg

Since the bend is a 90 degree corner you could get a small piece of angle to go there and rivet 2 pieces to it. With enough time and effort you could use aluminum and sheet metal screws.Result would be a removable piece.
The problem I see is not having a lower quarter to work toward.

I have the passenger side that I am gonna use as a template for the quarter. It is also really rusty but the edges are still intact so I can bend some metal around that and get the basic shape. I will some paper to make a pattern. Then I will rivet the temporary patch in place to work the extension.

Duster Pics 1 031.jpg

Ok I got out the poster board and went to town making a template of my rusty trunk extension. What do you think it was my first try and I think it will be my only try with paper everything is within an 1/8 inch. I figure that is as close as the factory would have gotten when these cars were new. I know it doesn't have the hump near the inner fender but... I can't see why I would need it I am gonna mini tub it anyway so they will be cut out or moved then. I am gonna go stick it in the car and get some pics.

Extension Template Attempt #1 009.jpg

Extension Template Attempt #1 011.jpg

Extension Template Attempt #1 012.jpg

I saw a guy wip one out on a roller and wheel once, it was amazing he looked at the original then went to town, a short while latter he was done with an exact duplicate.
Looks like you are taking the right approach to building your own. Keep us updated.

I just tried it ad it fit like a glove. And not OJ's glove like a perfectly sized glove, you know the kind where you go and try on every size till you find the right one. Ya that kinda fit.

-
Back