Trying to decide on 5-leaf or 6-leaf Springs

-
Waiting for the "rear end is to high, how can I lower it ?" thread.
Unless you want the raked look, stock replacement is all you need.

Waiting for the "rear end is to high, how can I lower it ?" thread.
Unless you want the raked look, stock replacement is all you need.

I ordered stock height, 6-leaf from ESPO. Definitely don't want the "rake", but couldn't decide on 5 or 6 leaf, thinking 6 leaf might give a harsher ride. Several members said they didn't so I went with them. Thanks guys!

I plan to rebuild the front suspension and replace torsion bars before spring. It's right around the corner, lol.

spring-is-just-around-the-corner-16259157.png

I ordered stock height, 6-leaf from ESPO. Definitely don't want the "rake", but couldn't decide on 5 or 6 leaf, thinking 6 leaf might give a harsher ride. Several members said they didn't so I went with them. Thanks guys!

I plan to rebuild the front suspension and replace torsion bars before spring. It's right around the corner, lol.

View attachment 1715281193
You did good!

Thanks TMM, and thanks for your experience with 6-leaf springs. ! Can't wait to get them here and get them in. I haven't done a lot of work on it for awhile. Just been enjoying driving it. But missing wrenching. Funny thing is I just replaced a broken leaf spring on our utility golf cart at work!

The 6 leaf springs are the best choice I think. They may have a slight bit stiffer ride but not harsh by any means. That will be the last springs you replace on that car. Done and done right! :thumbsup:

By the way, Laura at ESPO was great to deal with. Lots of communication via email even after hours and the weekend. Customer service at it's finest!

By the way, Laura at ESPO was great to deal with. Lots of communication via email even after hours and the weekend. Customer service at it's finest!
Good to hear. I have heard nothing but good from them.

Hi

I’m new around here and I have a question
I’m wanting to drop the butt on my 71 demon significantly and I’m looking at this post thinking I need a stock type 6 leaf espo
Spring pack

And a front torsion bar around a 1.06-1.08 In diameter.

Do any of you run this type of setup and if so what are your measurements from the ground to the center of the rear wheel well

9E1DAAA6-0476-47C3-B4D8-1E0ABD6AF9E2.jpeg

Hi

I’m wanting to drop the butt on my 71 demon significantly and I’m looking at this post thinking I need a stock type 6 leaf espo
Spring pack

Do any of you run this type of setup and if so what are your measurements from the ground to the center of the rear wheel well

View attachment 1715281428

Steve, there are some threads with pictures of different cars with different height springs. Use the search function and put in key words such as "leaf springs" and see what comes up. I searched before starting this thread but didn't find any discussing 6-leaf vs 7- leaf. I remember one thread with pictures of -1" springs used to drop the rear end down, but don't remember which model cars were in it.

If you can't find any, start a new thread asking for pictures of dropped Demons, Dart Sports, and Dusters and what they used to drop it.

By the way, that is a beautiful Demon!!!! :thumbsup:

Update: I ordered 6-leaf standard height leaf springs from ESPO. Took them 8 business days to ship and they arrived 2 days after shipping. $320 shipped to Georgia.

Got them installed yesterday. It raised the back 1.75". Not high, but back where they should be. Weather is thinking about rain so I only took a short drive. They feel much firmer but by no means harsh. Less roll around corners. I'm very happy with them so far.

Lol. Just noticed the cardboard on the floor in my before and after pictures we were discussing in the creeper thread.

Going to order the PST front suspension kit and torsion bars today. Sure hope that project goes as well as the leaf springs did. I may look at buying a cheap press at Horror Freight so I can do it all myself.

IMG_20190209_075529055.jpg
IMG_20190209_163734769.jpg

Update: I ordered 6-leaf standard height leaf springs from ESPO. Took them 8 business days to ship and they arrived 2 days after shipping. $320 shipped to Georgia.

Got them installed yesterday. It raised the back 1.75". Not high, but back where they should be. Weather is thinking about rain so I only took a short drive. They feel much firmer but by no means harsh. Less roll around corners. I'm very happy with them so far.

Lol. Just noticed the cardboard on the floor in my before and after pictures we were discussing in the creeper thread.

Going to order the PST front suspension kit and torsion bars today. Sure hope that project goes as well as the leaf springs did. I may look at buying a cheap press at Horror Freight so I can do it all myself.

View attachment 1715287786 View attachment 1715287788

Looks good. Sounds like just what you were looking for.

Thanks Mike! Yes, very happy with the way it sits. I was thinking about +1, but they would have been too high.

Wish I would have gotten a full length picture but didn't feel like pulling it out of the garage before starting the swap.

Hi

Spring pack

View attachment 1715281428
Mancini racing has 1" drop front brackets or you can use a block to lower it by raising the axle.

I had ordered 6 leaf 1/2" over springs (post 15) for the Barracuda. Before I got them installed, I acquired the Dart. I decided to put the new springs on the Dart.

Laura at ESPO did the math and the springs should be 1 1/4" over on the Dart. I hope to have them installed this week. Should be interesting...

I had ordered 6 leaf 1/2" over springs (post 15) for the Barracuda. Before I got them installed, I acquired the Dart. I decided to put the new springs on the Dart.

Laura at ESPO did the math and the springs should be 1 1/4" over on the Dart. I hope to have them installed this week. Should be interesting...

Cool. Post up some before and after pictures. I'll get better pictures when it stops raining.

-
Back