TTI headder Install Article from Mopar Muscle....

-
daves66valiant said:
Here ya go Dart4forte. part no. 636A-9543

I checked with Summitt. They can get the same starter for $234.90 shipped. I'm not sure what TTI wants for that same starter

It's called the PowerMaster Infiniclock starter, suppose to be adjustable for different applications. I didn't check with Jegs.

FYI I paid $240 from tti. Doesn't increase the shipping if included with the headers or exhaust order. They just throw it into the same box with everything else. If you are a really good fabricator I'm sure you could come up with something. The $240 is cheap considering the R&D and quality of the unit. Would be better if it was a lifetime warranty for that price. :sad:

daves66valiant said:
FYI I paid $240 from tti. Doesn't increase the shipping if included with the headers or exhaust order. They just throw it into the same box with everything else. If you are a really good fabricator I'm sure you could come up with something. The $240 is cheap considering the R&D and quality of the unit. Would be better if it was a lifetime warranty for that price. :sad:

I've had real good luck with the Powermaster products. I can't say the same thing for the MP mini starter though

OK here are a few pics of a very nice Dart with the new early A body headers installed. I spoke with Sam at TTI he talked to the owner and they both said it was OK to post a few pics for all of us here to look at. I have all the part numbers, details, requirements etc. to do this installation.

I can tell you after talking to Sam, that it is most likely a 12 pack job, lots of patience, and go slow and follow the directions. This is kind of typical on all Early A body work though that involves the exhaust (mainly the driver’s side). There just isn’t any room as you all know!

I also told him it would be great to get some real dyno HP numbers on a few engines. Like a hot 340, a 408 and or a 416 stroker. Just to get an idea of the HP gains over the stk exhaust.

Yes they are a lof of bucks! They are built very good though, and I think those of us with much more than a mild 273 or 318 will stand to see a very good gain in performance.

I am working on a very strong 416 that is going into my 64 GT Dart. I already have a 727 that was running for about 28 years now behind the race 273. So it should be sweet ride. As soon as winter breaks in WY ( well June or so ) I will get the parts stuffed in the car and some pics of my car posted.

Well hope this helps for now... :thumbup:

kcmcuda - car photo -1 (Medium).JPG

kcmcuda - eng photo -1 (Medium).JPG

kcmcuda - eng photo -3 (Medium).JPG

kcmcuda - eng photo -2 (Small).JPG

It's nice to see the same Master Cylinder I'm using. It also has power steering which I will have also. Wondering if the braided hoses for the PS helps with the heat from the headers. I was going to reuse my rubber ones since they are not that old. That is a sweet Dart. Looks really clean.

Do you know if the car was a 727, 904 or A833? It would be nice to chat with this guy. Is he a FABO member?

daves66valiant said:
It's nice to see the same Master Cylinder I'm using. It also has power steering which I will have also. Wondering if the braided hoses for the PS helps with the heat from the headers. I was going to reuse my rubber ones since they are not that old. That is a sweet Dart. Looks really clean.

Do you know if the car was a 727, 904 or A833? It would be nice to chat with this guy. Is he a FABO member?

I think it is a 727? I will have to find out for sure. Also I was very intrested in the PS as well. I want to get rid of my old vintage 64 pump and get a newer model pump. I just need to figure out what mounting brakets i will need to run the newer pump.

They still service the older style federal pumps. you can even get them rebuilt from rockauto.com and use you same brackets. If you do change they make the brackets for it or just get some off a junker.

daves66valiant said:
They still service the older style federal pumps. you can even get them rebuilt from rockauto.com and use you same brackets. If you do change they make the brackets for it or just get some off a junker.

very good! I needed that info. thanks a million!

ok i have a couple of questions

abodyjoe- the mini starter that you were speeking about is that the same as the starter that is found on the dakotas and durangos or is it different?

toolmanmike as for the early a-bodys being the "step child" that's ok with me then it won't cost me a zillion dollars to resore my car or to pick up another car when i finish this one.

ok i guess it is just one question not a couple sorry

austin

ok so i do have one more question

on the tti web sight they said that the headers are compatable with floor shift automatic car only, is that so you don't burn through the shifter cable?
and can some heat sheilding be used to protect the cable either on the header or mounted to the car.

sorry for being a pain but i like the looks of the colum shifter it kind of goes with the little old lady grocery getter thing.

austin

custom100 said:
ok so i do have one more question

on the tti web sight they said that the headers are compatable with floor shift automatic car only, is that so you don't burn through the shifter cable?
and can some heat sheilding be used to protect the cable either on the header or mounted to the car.

sorry for being a pain but i like the looks of the colum shifter it kind of goes with the little old lady grocery getter thing.

austin

I think it's because the line shift bracket that connects to the pan would hit the header flange?????

Thing I hate the most, is when they say things like the A-body headers are compatable "and fit" with stock floor shifts, "then" they turn around in the directions and say that you have to modifiy (cut & weld) the trans bell crank (shorter) as well the shifter support link by cutting and welding :angry4: I think if anyone has to start cutting and welding for parts to fit correctly or clear....it's "really" not a fit. I'm just crabby...and think these two parts should be supplied for installation!

69signetv8 said:
I think it's because the line shift bracket that connects to the pan would hit the header flange?????

Thing I hate the most, is when they say things like the A-body headers are compatable "and fit" with stock floor shifts, "then" they turn around in the directions and say that you have to modifiy (cut & weld) the trans bell crank (shorter) as well the shifter support link by cutting and welding :angry4: I think if anyone has to start cutting and welding for parts to fit correctly or clear....it's "really" not a fit. I'm just crabby...and think these two parts should be supplied for installation!

From what I understood the directions on the tti website their bell crank and shift rod modifications are for the 3 piece kick down linkage and 1 3/4" and 2" headers and mostly for B & E body cars.
It looks as though small block a body with the 1 5/8" step headers don't require any mods but the B & E body cars with column may require the modified torque shaft assembly that TTI sells

i ordered and paid for the tti's and the starter the 10th of last month. they actually shipped yesterday (may 22nd) kinda figured since the headers were on back order they would at least shipped the starter! after several calls to tti i got them to ship the starter last week. the folks at mancini were kind enough to get the headers shipped 2nd day air so i should have them thursday. i have no complaint about the price, wanna play gotta pay. but paying 6 weeks before something is actually shipped is a little salty in my opinion.
when i ordered the things i was hoping to have them just a bit sooner than that, with the intention of taking the car up to valdosta georgia fot the nats this weekend. now i have to install the headers, steering/susp components, allignment, mufler shop, as well as install the motor/tranny(373, low 1-2 904)and have the car on a trailer and headed north in 24hrs? the plan was(is)to install the headers/steering/susp, and try to squeek the motor down between them in hopes of an easier install. this method has served me well putting low decks with headers in 67 up a cars.
no ***** about the steering susp teardown, i planned to do a complete rebuild on it regardless, just had to wait a little longer than expected to install the t bars, draglink-tie rods and steering box shaft.
if there is a way to retain the column shift i WILL find it. i do have a hurst floor setup (cable) on hand just in case.
I hope theese things run faster than my good old 340 manifolds! got 12.80s out of them with a peg leg 7.25 with 3.23s in my old 66 dart.(since departed)
the new stuff is going in a 66 val, 2door post. a little shorter and a little lighter than the dart was. cant wait much longer without considering anti-depressants!
no ***** about the article, ya'll know the cars are tight, the diesel (big starter) or multitude of minis may not work, especially with auto tranny.

no regard to being called a stepchild either. the castings in all of them have DP
CD on them which stands for what? DeSoto, Plymouth,Chrysler,Dodge.
i do not know exactly when desoto went by the wayside, but prolly couldnt be having stepchildren in 63-66. The dodge bros. sold out when?
I liked taking my last 66 dart to shows, and having people totally disregard the e bodies and the hemi snobs to crowd around my lowly little 66 and have an attack ot the oooh ahhhs. I openly befriend ALL mopar owners. start fighting amongst ourselves and we may as well just move to the middle east. at least we may save a buck or two on gas to spend on headers/starters.

guy's/gals, if i wer'e puter literate enough to take and post pics i would love to. especially before and afters. i may be able to get the fiance (or FXW, future x wife if you prefer) to snap some shots and post them. we do have a fairly descent dig camera, but i am clueless when it comes to taking, saving, and posting. some of my friends may be able to hook me up with the requests as well. will se what i can do.
i do know how to operate snail mail tho :wack:

The headers and starter landed under the garage door today! :wav:
now the fun of pulling the 170 and installing a little bigger horse can begin.
the gf and the kids left for ga last nite to see gram-no till tues and i am refusing to work on anyone else's junk besides mine till they get back. (i am a stay home/work at home dad that builds motor/trannys around the ol lady's schedule) a 2 year old son and 4yr daughter don't cut the stay home parent much slack.
lots of good stuff on this site, just have to sit back and feel for the elitist's, they prolly have inferiority or napolean complexes and got beet up and their milk money stolen from them as children. it is not their faults, they were just born that way and got bigger. grains of salt are easier to swallow than balls of sh-t.
thanx guys
chad

-
Back