TTI header install questions

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I ended up just biting the bullet and getting a set of TTI headers instead of trying to mess with the stock manifolds. That being said, is it possible to install them with the engine in the car or do you have to lay them in the bay when you drop the engine in? I assume I can't bolt them up before I drop the engine in either with the tight clearances I'm seeing. With any luck I should be getting the last of the parts in this week or early next week and was going to start pulling the old stuff this weekend. I figured if I had time I might be able to drop the new engine in this weekend as well, but if the headers don't show up till next week I didn't want to have to pull it again to get them on if that was necessary.

do not know bout tti, but the dougs, the engine mountes need to be un-done, and engine lifed enough to slide the headers in. do yourself a favor and take the distributor cap and button off, it needs to be lifked at least when i did mine, some 16 inches

Yes the engine can be in.. going to have to raise the motor though. Just follow the directions that come with them.

Yes the engine can be in.. going to have to raise the motor though. Just follow the directions that come with them.
> If there "coated", you may want protective wrap on them for the fitting process ? I went with TTI's, with 1 3/4" primaries+ 8lb of boost, should be ok. Good Luck, ateam.:toothy7:

Just did my 5.7 with TTI's yesterday.

The passenger side you can get in from the bottom as long as the car is high enough. The drivers I ended up wrapping in a blanket and tying to the torsion bar at the collector with a wire looped from the flange around the master cylinder. Once I got the motor close I threw a couple bolts in, that helped a bunch. Get the headers all the way inplace/tight before you do the trans, mine kept falling in the way.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I figured I'd probably end up just trying to lay them both in and tie them off. Didn't know how much room I'd need to work with, but I don't have a lift and didn't know if I'd have room to get them in from the bottom.

I installed my TTI's with the engine in the car, 4-speed and power steering. I followed the directions and they went in without and issue. Make sure you have the car up high enough.

bringing this up with a question which does not belong to the topic.... I need a) for freight charge estimation to Germany the approx measurements and the weight of the package and b) a shop to source. TTI itself is to complcated (order form), some does not accept my german billing address and an US shipping address. Hm, I'm now with magnumforce or mopartsracing. Are they ok? The first one I know from television car shows ... LOL

I installed my TTI's with the engine in the car, 4-speed and power steering. I followed the directions and they went in without and issue. Make sure you have the car up high enough.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you keep power steering? I was under the impression that it won't work.. Maybe I'm wrong?

BUSCHI340,

Although I've read a number of complaints regarding the quality of the Magnum Force Coil over setup, I've never heard of an issue with them not sending parts. Also, I emailed them a question the other day and they responded within a day.

Since they all charge the same price, I'd just go with Magnum Force.

Also depending on your English skills, (I can read German, barely, but on the phone I can hardly say anything, for those who don't know, it is A LOT harder to speak a foreign language on the phone than in person, must be the body language and non-verbal cues.) so you could just call TTI and place the order over the phone, I also had a technical question for TTI and they got back to me the same day.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

If you don't mind me asking, how did you keep power steering? I was under the impression that it won't work.. Maybe I'm wrong?

Nope you can keep the power steering. Not a big deal to install just have the car up high or even a lift may help.

Nope you can keep the power steering. Not a big deal to install just have the car up high or even a lift may help.

It is a super tight fit with a manual box. I think the only way you can keep power steering with a new hemi is with a rack and pinion conversion like the alterkation kit.

scuba0331: Do you have a new hemi in your car?

Attachments

• DSC03396.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 379
When I installed my TTI headers in my 340 Swinger with power steering I had to space up the left side motor mount 1/4" to clear the the steering box and I had to trim the corners off the steering coupler to clear the header pipe.
Also use new motor mounts.

We did two by laying the headers in the engine bay and droping the engine in slowly. Once close enough start hooking up the headers. Make sure you mount the engine as far back as you can to clear idle arms and other things.

Now we hook everything up and drop the car down on top of the assembly.
Photo is of the removal.
CIMG4422.jpg

CIMG4423.jpg

Good luck.

67GTX and Hemiroid,

Your posts are a bit unclear to me, I was aware that you could have power steering with a small block A-Body and headers, but I think the general consensus is that you cannot have factory power steering with in an A-Body with either the 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi.

If both of you are stating that you can, that would be great, I'd love to have Power Steering in my 6.1 Hemi Dart. If both of you have put a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi in an A-body with power steering I'd love to see some pics. Please.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

My apologies I do not have a new hemi. I didn't read which section this post was in I was just commenting on installing TTI's. Sorry for the confusion.

-
Back