TTI vs Hedman which one?

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK folks,
Right now I have a 440 in my 71 Dart with 727 and Schumacher headers. I am working on building a 451 (B) motor with a Powerglide. The 451 will have Victor heads. My dilemma is I need headers that build power, don't drag and and can swap between RB and B motors. I have been looking at TTI 2" and Hedman fender wells, both seem to have there pros and cons.

Here is what see:

TTI / Hedman
Both same price for bare headers
Both fit

TTI's - Dont build as much power???
TTI - can have coated at shop - more money
TTI - Tighter fit?

Hedman - Need to cut fenders
Hedman - More power?
Hedman - Easier install?

This car is a street/strip car, not going to be a restorer (Mini-tub, spring relocation)

Do you have pictures, insight, issues you worked through??

Any suggestions -
TTI: http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI440-200/BB2headers.htm

Hedman: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-75160/overview/make/dodge/model/dart/year/1971

Thanks
CP

If it was me I would not be cutting up the inner fenders to put fender wall headers on my car. JMO

Dartman - I appreciate that, but why? What are your thoughts?

I am building an Indy headed RB to put in my 71 drag Demon. The only headers that seem that they will work are the hedman 75161. Problem is hedman tech support hasn't returned my inquiry on if those will actually work on the engine / car. My inner fenders are long gone.

If budget is a concern, you might look at the Hedman B body headers. There's a tech article on bigblockdart.com that shows they can fit with minor mods with a low deck. Just a thought.

Airwoofer and Rusty - Thank you, the experience and insight I needed. Airwoofer, if you get anything back, could you PM or post for me.

Rusty, Budget yes, but performance too. I will check that out. BTW, Elvira was a much better image

Not a fan of fenderwell headers.....get mighty close to the master cylinder, requiring a heat shield of sorts. Have to watch what front tires you use. Exhaust, if going to use one is either just a set of mufflers outside the subframe connectors or you need to a couple of 90* turns. Ever consider http://maddogheaders.net/ ? Unfortunately the b set is different than the rb set....don't know if they will work with your Victors. Friend has a rb/glide is his 69 Valiant. TTI's fit nice. I believe he said he needs to pull the trans to change the starter though....will verify this when I see him Saturday if you are interested...

i don't really like the off the shelf fenderwell headers offered. have to cut way too much ,then you need to fab plates to cover the hole. haven't seen a set of plates that look like they belong there yet. i prefer the undercarriage header or a custom fender well that only needs a small hole.

Ink - yes very interested, please let me know

Abody - Thank you, what I was wondering exactly, too much cutting turns me off. A little is not bad, and the heat issue that Ink was identifying sound like show stopper.

I will call Maddog

I run Hooker fenderwells on the street and I haven't had any heat issues with the master cylinder. I don't use a heat sheild either. It's close but no problems.

Ink - yes very interested, please let me know

Abody - Thank you, what I was wondering exactly, too much cutting turns me off. A little is not bad, and the heat issue that Ink was identifying sound like show stopper.

I will call Maddog

I forgot to ask him, sorry......Just sent him an email, will let you know what he says....Have you had a chance to call Mad Dog yet?

Just heard back from my friend....he does have to pull the trans to get the starter out....but he is also using a mid-plate. He said that with the way the TTI's wrap around the starter he thinks that even without the plate he would have to pull the trans to get the starter out...

I have TTi 17/8 and I'm using a mini starter and the header are the tranny will have to be moved out of the way to get the starter out!

Attachments

• 100_5356.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 100_5362.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 295
-
Back