Tube Chassis Hemi Dart Project

-
Here is the cowl hood I will be using. It's 4 1/2" which is just right to clear the carb and spacer. I've seen alot of comments floating around for years that these hoods "are for chevy's" and should never be on a Mopar. Well, maybe so but I like the look and to me it complements the low slung effect I am after. A flat hood would never work and the 68 Hemi scoop to me is sacred and should only be used where appropriate. Anyway, I figure if somebody is fixated on my hood they are missing the most interesting parts of the car.

Attachments

• hemi0027.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 998
Here are some additional Hemi photos just for grins. Started with the Megablock, filled it with goodies, topped it off with good heads, and dressed it out. We built the 2 1/4" headers by buying several U and J bends from Hedman and cutting and fitting each tube to keep them basically all of the same length while keeping them level with the frame rails. We built a jig that tack welded to the frame that kept the tubes and collector at the correct height level with the frame. Had them Jet Hot coated afterwards. Building these was one of the hardest parts of the entire build.

Attachments

• rdale 001.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 959
  • rdale 003.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 924
  • rdale 004.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 971
  • FTRD_Hemi 024.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 914
  • FTRD_Hemi 025.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 933
WOW Insane!!! everything about this build is Insane and gorgeous, keep pics coming :)

I'm close. Believe it or not, the last part I need to order seems to be non-existent. I am looking for a windshield gasket--can't find one!

Do we get to see those Photo's PLEASE!!! I was only kidding about the you guy's suck thing. I take back all I said just to see more PLEASE :) :) :)

I'm close. Believe it or not, the last part I need to order seems to be non-existent. I am looking for a windshield gasket--can't find one!
Check with National Moparts up here in Beaverton,Ontario Canada.Was there last weekend asking about the windsheild gaskets for Dusters,said he had 2 in stock.He might have what your looking for?Good luck.

Oh and your build is top notch.:thumblef:

man ...thats some good sh#t!!....heres a question....how do you..or better yet..what is the correct way..or correct gizmo you use to torque the head studs in the valley?...I use a short box wrench (1/2-9/16) mated to a short extension...then put my torque wrench on "loosen"...because it's upside down....anybody??

Id check with Steele Rubber as well.. I just got my rear window rubber from them.. at the time they said probably 6-8 weeks for the fronts.. that was a month ago... cant hurt to check

love the custom headers......I built a set for my first HemiDuster that snaked around the torsion bars....a lesson in patience....almost rather take a good a$$ whippin than build another set....

I'm scared of what I'm going to have to do to get headers in my car. You guys are way more talented than I.

don't worry...we'll help

by the way ....how big a hammer do you have????

Id check with Steele Rubber as well.. I just got my rear window rubber from them.. at the time they said probably 6-8 weeks for the fronts.. that was a month ago... cant hurt to check

a little off topic but do you know if tey carry stuff for a 75 duster? Post here or via pm is fine thanks

has that motor in its current configeration been on the dyno for break-in/ fine tunin'???

might be $$$$ well spent...I wouldn't do it for a stocker...like mine...but that MONSTER is a different story

I keep comin' back to this thread and starrin'.....

man ...thats some good sh#t!!....heres a question....how do you..or better yet..what is the correct way..or correct gizmo you use to torque the head studs in the valley?...I use a short box wrench (1/2-9/16) mated to a short extension...then put my torque wrench on "loosen"...because it's upside down....anybody??
Believe it or not, Matco makes what they call a "Hemi" wrench just for this. It is about 2 inches long and mounts to your toque wrench. You will have to use a correction factor to calculate the proper torque because the wrench alters the math. My engine builder did this upon final assembly so I can't give you the correct math right now. I'll try to get it from him.

has that motor in its current configeration been on the dyno for break-in/ fine tunin'???

might be $$$$ well spent...I wouldn't do it for a stocker...like mine...but that MONSTER is a different story

I keep comin' back to this thread and starrin'.....
My engine builder keeps all dyno sheets. He built a very similar combo 2 engines before mine for a nitrous application, the only difference being the camshaft. He chose my cam in consultation with Crane. Other engine showed 850 hp and 780 lb ft. of torque. Mine is in that ballpark. Nitrous shot of 250 on the other engine gained 230 hp and 200 lb. ft. of torque. I am using this as a baseline and will fine tune the carb and nitrous jets at the track to dial it in.

Check with National Moparts up here in Beaverton,Ontario Canada.Was there last weekend asking about the windsheild gaskets for Dusters,said he had 2 in stock.He might have what your looking for?Good luck.

Oh and your build is top notch.:thumblef:
Thanks!

I got mine from Steele Rubber Products but that was before the shortage.
I did call Steele yesterday and a salesman named Paul said they actually are producing the gaskets themselves now based on a mold they made from an original NOS gasket. Production time is "soon" he said but this is good news considering what all other vendors have been telling me. Thanks

love the custom headers......I built a set for my first HemiDuster that snaked around the torsion bars....a lesson in patience....almost rather take a good a$$ whippin than build another set....
Exactly Denny. Now I see why chassis builders get $1000-2000 for a set.

-
Back