Tube Chassis Hemi Dart Project

-
love the look of your car. would you have any pics of how you have attached the chassis to the rocker panels.
Thanks SUMO 70. If you look closely at the chassis pic you will see three 4x8 pieces of steel welded to the lower round tube frame on each side for a total of six. We lowered the body of the car down over the chassis and welded these plates to the inner rocker panels. The rear of the chassis has two tabs that mount it using the bumper bracket bolts. The front of the car is mounted by welding the inner part of the lower windshield metal area under the dash to the dash bar that ties the left and right side of the chassis together under the dash.

Attachments

• car 004.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 761
you mean its no longer has a uni-body? (sorry...just being a wise a$$)

Hey Denny, if I tow up to the Nats in 2012 I'll have to get you to write me a "survivor's guide" on how to navigate everything like trailer parking, where everybody hangs out at night, etc. Texas is so big we never get out of the state much so your war stories will help a bunch.

I and my elite staff will personally handle all your requests.....rest assured you will leave not only completely exhausted....but more than likely...broke!!

in all reality were too friggin' old for that kind of shi$....but we still have a heck of a good time....and I do go home with a big grin on my face

I and my elite staff will personally handle all your requests.....rest assured you will leave not only completely exhausted....but more than likely...broke!!

in all reality were too friggin' old for that kind of shi$....but we still have a heck of a good time....and I do go home with a big grin on my face
Denny, I don't know where you are on the chronological calendar but I'm 52 so yeah I've slowed down some too but I still have some race gas in my blood (VP C-16 plus Everclear). Just make sure I have some shade to park my lawn chair and I'll be fine!

that is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and i hate you guys with all that money!damn it
Thanks bad440. One thing for sure, for every dollar I have spent on this car I have also put in 5 dollars worth through my own labor, creativity, and help from friends with talent. No way I could have afforded all this by dropping it off at some fancy hot rod shop and leave a blank check. That's not the Mopar way anyway. I like your ride.

most of us "boys" are in are in our mid to latter 50's.....some sneakin' in to their 60's

we act like were in our 20's and 30's when we're around our hotrods....and of course there is no limit to how smart....fast....and full of hair we used to be

brother Dave was there in 2010....with the '73 Challenger once owned by Bruce Hudson....Bruce was a deckhand and went down on the Edmond Fitzgerald when it sank....the car is amazingly untouched since it was left in Toledo waiting for Bruces' return from that last fateful voyage

That's mean. If you are going to run that down the track somewhere here in central TX let me know. I'd definately like to see it.

Thanks for the info, i am looking to do a 3/4 car pretty soon and need all the pointers i can get.

I just finished reading the entire thread. GREAT build!!!
I can see that you have the same amount of passion for your class of car as I do mine.
Your workmanship is stellar and the design rocks.
Are you doing this full time? and is this a business I can visit?
Let me know, if so Id like to talk about a few things.
Andrew

whats new hemidart528?.....
Hey Denny. Suffered a few setbacks the last few days and am just now trying to head back in the right direction. My 10 year old son broke his arm last weekend in his 5th grade basketball league game and two days ago I suffered my first kidney stone and spent the night in the hospital until it passed. Pain! The car took a left turn as well. I ditched the fiberglass bumpers a couple of weeks ago because they were not looking like I had hoped. I ordered a cherry re-chromed rear bumper that had the jack slots welded up and smoothed and it looked killer on the car...until I noticed a bulge around the license plate opening and a small crack in the chrome around the bumper bolt. My first thought was that I had bought a bent bumper...until I discovered it was my fault because the passenger side bumper bracket was the culprit and was bent itself. So, I have to spend another $200 to have the whole bumper stripped and re-chromed. I was able to beat the bracket into submission and straightened it to perfection. So, in a couple of weeks I should get the bumper back and finish the rear of the car. Should have the doors mounted this weekend.

Scott,
from the look of the frame, it appears there will not be a passenger seat.
If so,that really sucks. Id love to take a ride in it but I dont want to be the pilot.:burnout:
Andrew

Hope you and your son are doing better kidney stones (ouch). My boys spent more time with broken bones than sick, thank goodness for ins.

-
Back