Tubular Lower Control Arm Thread

-
Looking good, keep up the good work, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Started building the jigs last night. I machined a plastic bushing on the lathe just to mock up the pivot pin on the factory LCA's. This position will get welded solid so every one will be exactly the same from the Lower ball joint to the pivot plane. I welded on a factory upper ball joint which has the same taper and size as the lower, just for ease of attaching it. I will still need to weld the attachments for the drag links and get that angle right as well as the factory sway bar position. I will be busy the next couple of days.

Attachments

• Jig 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Jig 2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,555
  • Jig 3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,552
  • Jig 4.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,564
Well I'm starting to get my parts in. Pivot bushings that I am using are here, btw these will have a zerk fitting. Also got my $85 tapered reamer that is for mopar and ford ball joints. Picked up my tubing for the pivot bushings and also the lower arms and also the bar stock needed. I have one set back and that is my tubing die won't be here until the 12th. Ugh. Once it gets here this will go fast.

Attachments

• Bushings Urethane.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,508
  • Tapered Reamer.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,506
Lookin good John!! Man I can't wait to do a 200ft Wheelie with these New LCA's!!:D

Me too Louis. It's actually going really good. I have more good news. With these a person will be able to dial in the amount of caster that they want by simply moving an aluminum spacer. I will post more info on this later.

Me too Louis. It's actually going really good. I have more good news. With these a person will be able to dial in the amount of caster that they want by simply moving an aluminum spacer. I will post more info on this later.

Right on, sounds good!!

I'm missing something...what's the reamer for? The jig??? The LCA houses the balljoint and the taper would be in the spindle right? Oh, btw I'm going to look at that valiant tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes. Keep posting pics!!!

I'm missing something...what's the reamer for? The jig??? The LCA houses the balljoint and the taper would be in the spindle right? Oh, btw I'm going to look at that valiant tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes. Keep posting pics!!!
On these mopars the lower ball joint is actually located on the spindle instead of the control arm. The LCA will have to be drilled and reamed. If you would hurry up and get your car then you would know this. Lol. Keep us updated

On these mopars the lower ball joint is actually located on the spindle instead of the control arm. The LCA will have to be drilled and reamed. If you would hurry up and get your car then you would know this. Lol. Keep us updated

Yeah, I know! LOL. Im trying. My dad would be disappointed that I didnt know that...haha.

Cool! I await the final product. This seems to be a really great time saver idea!

I'm still working on it. I started machining the attachment point for the lower ball joint last night on the lathe. She will be beefy. I will finish it up tonight and have pics in the morning.

Attachments

• Slugs.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,405
Finished tig welding my jigs last night too. Made them out of stainless.

Attachments

• Jigs done.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,397
Awesome work John! I am excited to see the progress and fitment of all these cool parts too. And I have a feeling that this is just the start as we (and by we I mean mostly you) haven't even hardly started on anything other than the front of my car.

:)

Finished tig welding my jigs last night too. Made them out of stainless.

I built a tube front end last year and had many people wanting my planes for the build( never made any ) I just winged it, it was a one time deal, but works very well. I was just thinking for your next project you might want to look at something like this.
just an idea. here is a link to some pics.

http://www.bluemelon.com/dodgeman/knewfrontendandr3engine

I built a tube front end last year and had many people wanting my planes for the build( never made any ) I just winged it, it was a one time deal, but works very well. I was just thinking for your next project you might want to look at something like this.
just an idea. here is a link to some pics.

http://www.bluemelon.com/dodgeman/knewfrontendandr3engine

Very cool and there are some great designs out there and some of them are on this forum. I wanted to design something that will bolt directly to the factory K member with no modifications for a fraction of the cost of a tubular K. With some bracing in the inner fenders, tubular upper control arms and coilovers and you are set.

Very cool and there are some great designs out there and some of them are on this forum. I wanted to design something that will bolt directly to the factory K member with no modifications for a fraction of the cost of a tubular K. With some bracing in the inner fenders, tubular upper control arms and coilovers and you are set.

I here ya, your design is very cool, I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Educate me, what is the problem with torsion bars?
For me it is a # of things, mainly its the extra room for my custom headers,exhaust and the simplicity of tranny, starter Re, and Re, for my racing clutch,as well as going two front steer just opens up the hole area for rear sump and kick out oil pan ect. Very little of it was to do with the suspension gains other than weight loss.

-
Back