Tuning my Slanty

-
This is a road I did not foresee going down. I have never had to adjust valves.

All of us have had to learn different things regarding our cars. Get a set of feeler gauges & take your time! Your engine will thank you. Back in the old days, I always knew when a Mopar with a slant 6 was next to me because of the clacking of the valves!

I do have a set of feeler gauges. Any special tools I need? Im assuming the procedure is in the FSM?

It is, but it wants the valves adjusted hot. Don't bother with that, by the time you get one cylinder done, the thing will have cooled down too much to set the others.

Do it cold, like let it sit overnight cold, and open up whatever specs you decide to go with by .002.

Would you like some guidance? I'll be more than glad to walk you through it over the phone if you want to PM me.

I do have a set of feeler gauges. Any special tools I need? Im assuming the procedure is in the FSM?

It is, but lets get together on the phone and do it my way. It's a lot easier.

Get Intake open all the way and then adjust the paired exhaust.repeat on intake side. There is a procedure for this so you only rotate the crank 2X. If you do it cold, run it to hot and then check them again to see how much it changed, then adjust your cold lash. Intake and exhaust will be different as the exhaust gets a lot hotter, that's why the values are sometimes different between the 2. You can do it Rob's way too, I can imagine him coaching you on the speaker phone in the garage over the idling motor with the valve cover off and your wrench and feeler gauge rattling around in your oil soaked hands...take a vid for us! :D

Thank you, Rob. Im going to take you up on that. Probably wont be till Saturday or Sunday though. Working open to close as my brother is on vay-cay. Little bastard. lol Ill PM you later in the week.

-Mario

-
Back