Tunnal ram

-
just saw one for sale earlier this morn here for 2 bills it was an Offenhauser

X2 I would concentrate on tuning the combo you have rather than swinging for the fences.

This might be a silly question. but what's a DD?

it's 2:19am here and the only thing that comes to mind is...
eck02.gif

A tunnel ram can be ran on a daily ,because i have done it (rain ,snow ,to work every day ,long trips ,wherever i needed to go ) .I would however advise against it unless you have a lite car ,stick shift / decent stall convertor withan Automatic and low gears .I ran 4.10's with a 4 spd in a 2700 lb car and it wasnt bad.The lowend off idle will be weak cuz of the weak signal ,but you can tune the carbs for it and it will help.I have seen people build boxes to a take up plenum volume and put them under the carbs for street use ,but that kinda defeats the purpose of the T-ram IMO .Put a T-ram on a heavy car with a stock convertor and highway gears and you will hate it. Tunnel rams by nature are made for highend rpm hp only ,which is just the opposite of what a daily driver is needed for...

weiand makes one you do realize the rpm range is 4000 to 8500 so you need a lot of motor underneath it to be of any advantage.

Look for a dual plane, dual quad set up or do the 6pack for a multi car set up.
Otherwise for a DD car, a Weiand Action Plus or RPM will do great!

Twin carb's, of any kind, is just to much for his combo.
twin 600 would be 1200 cfm.

I haven't heard you combo but 1200cfm on the street would be a stretch.

Yes it would look way Cool but when u try to show off, and all it will do is Bog.... the Cool ness fades FAST .:eek:ops:

Tunnel rams with 2 4bbls don't work on the street, just ask 340 8bbl... LOL

If you can't select the proper components, tune an engine, ignition system, carb, stay away...

It much easier to put a good dual plane intake with a 4 bbl and run it. A good single 4 intake/carb will kick the snot out of a 6 pack, just don't look as cool.

It's also so much easier to tune 3 carbs than 2... [/sarcasm] :)

Do you have enough of everything else to support it? Can you tune it? Do you realize that in most cases a single carb is going to perform light years better on a street car?

Actually in every dyno comparison I've seen a six pack holds it's own against most modern single plane units and obliterates all other dual plane manifolds except the Air Gap.

There seems to be a lot of misconception about the six pack. perhaps it stems from the fact that they cost a good $1200-1500 more than an equivalent single plane/double pumper combination.

The six pack is basically a vac sec Holley with 4 secondaries and should be tuned as such.

With the right tuning gear they can hang with the best.

Actually in every dyno comparison I've seen a six pack holds it's own against most modern single plane units and obliterates all other dual plane manifolds except the Air Gap.

There seems to be a lot of misconception about the six pack. perhaps it stems from the fact that they cost a good $1200-1500 more than an equivalent single plane/double pumper combination.

The six pack is basically a vac sec Holley with 4 secondaries and should be tuned as such.

With the right tuning gear they can hang with the best.
But keep in mind that the op is a young guy, with his first car. Tuning 1 set of secondaries will be tough enough for him......

True enough.

It is my opinion that for simplicity on a mild 360 you can't beat an Edelbrock 650 AVS on an Edelbrock performer RPM dual plane manifold.

This is great... LOL

I'll GUARANTEE the comparisons were not apples to apples on rated cfm flow. I've seen a few that the mags have done and the 6 pack flowed an extra 150-200 cfm over the single 4 set ups. You think that might have just a little to do with them keeping up?

On more than a few engines, the 6 packs could not and did not keep up with a performance single 4 barrel of equivalent cfm rating EVER! An OOTB Performer 318/360 was a good match for the six pack... a PERFORMER 318/360.... that's laughable. The better Airgap/LD340/RPM, Victor 340 or the strip dominator stomped a SERIOUS mudhole in the six pack from the bottom of the range to the top. To the tune of 25-40hp on 500hp engines. Better et, 60's and mph. Nope, that's not significant.

If I was the OP, find an Air Gap/LD340/RPM/Stealth intake and run that with a 750DP carb and save some headaches while you learn how to make stuff run. I know that it took 340_8bbl a couple of years to really get his Tunnel Ram set up sorted out. There are rams to stay away from for a street driven rig as well.

This is great... LOL

I'll GUARANTEE the comparisons were not apples to apples on rated cfm flow. I've seen a few that the mags have done and the 6 pack flowed an extra 150-200 cfm over the single 4 set ups. You think that might have just a little to do with them keeping up?

On more than a few engines, the 6 packs could not and did not keep up with a performance single 4 barrel of equivalent cfm rating EVER! An OOTB Performer 318/360 was a good match for the six pack... a PERFORMER 318/360.... that's laughable. The better Airgap/LD340/RPM, Victor 340 or the strip dominator stomped a SERIOUS mudhole in the six pack from the bottom of the range to the top. To the tune of 25-40hp on 500hp engines. Better et, 60's and mph. Nope, that's not significant.

If I was the OP, find an Air Gap/LD340/RPM/Stealth intake and run that with a 750DP carb and save some headaches while you learn how to make stuff run. I know that it took 340_8bbl a couple of years to really get his Tunnel Ram set up sorted out. There are rams to stay away from for a street driven rig as well.

Did these engines make use of the available six pack metering plates with Holley jets or were they ran out of the box? ie not tuned at all.

ok,here we go again.it can and will work just fine on the street.but lets be realistic,i would not put one on a stock 318.and i would not use one unless your up for some tuning to say the least.my current set up is a j headed 340 around 10:1 comp,old crane hmv cam,headers,hei ignition,2500 stall,and 3.23 gears.the tunnel ram is an edelbrock street ram with 390 cfm holley vac. secondary carbs.it idles well at 800 rpms and will go up in smoke if you mash the loud pedal.once the car has been warmed up the first time,it takes half a rotation to restart it even after sitting a while.

Twin carb's, of any kind, is just to much for his combo.
twin 600 would be 1200 cfm.

I haven't heard you combo but 1200cfm on the street would be a stretch.

Yes it would look way Cool but when u try to show off, and all it will do is Bog.... the Cool ness fades FAST .:eek:ops:

dual 600's on a small block do not equate to 1200, more like <840cfm (CFM /1.414 for multi carb) and that is not taking into account that the Carter/Edelbrock secondaries are air actuated and wont open up anywhere close to 100%. It has to do with what the motor can pull. They have "1200 CFM" throttle bodies that work just fine. There is a formula somewhere that states even a six pack on a 340 was only flowing about 780 CFM. But everyone knows more carb is not always better. The more area (bbls) you pull over/through, the less vaccum signal you get to the carbs circuits. Check out Vizard's books on carbs. Good reading, but pretty techie.

dual 600's on a small block do not equate to 1200, more like <840cfm (CFM /1.414 for multi carb) and that is not taking into account that the Carter/Edelbrock secondaries are air actuated and wont open up anywhere close to 100%. It has to do with what the motor can pull. They have "1200 CFM" throttle bodies that work just fine. There is a formula somewhere that states even a six pack on a 340 was only flowing about 780 CFM. But everyone knows more carb is not always better. The more area (bbls) you pull over/through, the less vaccum signal you get to the carbs circuits. Check out Vizard's books on carbs. Good reading, but pretty techie.

Bingo ,i was wondering when sumone would state this fact about carb cfm's vrs vacume signal .Its not the cfm that will give you fits with a Tram on the street ,its the weak vacume signal from the long runners.Like i said before it can be tuned enough to live with.I had mine on a SBF.I had an single plane and a 600 on it at first.Then i went to an Offy 360 and two 450's.The T-ram was a bit weak off idle ,but when you got that air moving through it up high ,there was no comparison .I reved it to 6800-7000 often ,and never found the end of the power from it .I was scared to spin it any higher ...

-
Back