turbo 273 parts collected now some ?s

-

440dart123

Reaction score
I have a 65 273 4speed dart that iam going to TT doing it as cheap as i can parts i have are below

2- HX35s Free
360 magnum Manis Free
Carb Hat $50
Torker II 340 intake Free
Big valve dual spring swirport heads Free
Crane cams 300-2F cam i think the specs are 300/310 480/500 solid
New style a833 new ram clutch Free
MSD 6 BTM Free
New Holley 750dp friend helping me tune it he has a 9.70 138mph blow thru setup 427 chevy on basic old parts so free knowledge:cheers:

Questions

1- For those of you running magnum manis did you attatch the exhaust like fatory ball style joint or did you weld it on the end of the mani then mount the turbo to the end of that????

2- I got the cam for free would this be an upgrade or hurt performance in a turbo application?

3&4-I know its going to be pretty laggy with a 273 but everthing is free includeing the car i plan on learning with this 273 untill i blow it up get bored ect. What kind of rpms you think she will spool at and what kind of HP will this 273 handle as i plan on maxing it out at some point just to see what she will do.

I have a 65 273 4speed dart that iam going to TT doing it as cheap as i can parts i have are below

2- HX35s Free
360 magnum Manis Free
Carb Hat $50
Torker II 340 intake Free
Big valve dual spring swirport heads Free
Crane cams 300-2F cam i think the specs are 300/310 480/500 solid
New style a833 new ram clutch Free
MSD 6 BTM Free
New Holley 750dp friend helping me tune it he has a 9.70 138mph blow thru setup 427 chevy on basic old parts so free knowledge:cheers:

Questions

1- For those of you running magnum manis did you attatch the exhaust like fatory ball style joint or did you weld it on the end of the mani then mount the turbo to the end of that????

Use the ball type flanges for sure!

2- I got the cam for free would this be an upgrade or hurt performance in a turbo application?

Cam has too much duration in my opinion and the seperation should be around 114.

3&4-I know its going to be pretty laggy with a 273 but everthing is free includeing the car i plan on learning with this 273 untill i blow it up get bored ect. What kind of rpms you think she will spool at and what kind of HP will this 273 handle as i plan on maxing it out at some point just to see what she will do.

At the top of the page there is a "Turbo Bible", Read it. You should be able to go to the turbo manufatures site and download/copy those turbos compressor maps.

Good luck!

I know what they are capable of i should have worded it better and asked what kind of power it will make at 13 to 14psi and i think iam now going to a 318 or 360.

How do you think the cam will make things worse like drivability spool ect just curious

Just found a comp cams 20-230-4 274/280dur 502/511lift would this be a better cam?

And a mopar purpleshaft but i cant find any info on it its got a white stripe and a yellow dot with numbers 202136 stamped in it

A stock cam would work with a turbo, those big overlap cams....you dont need the scavenging effect on a forced induction setup. look into some copper head gaskets and studs. 14 psi is big time for a felpro blue gasket. Dual Hx35's may be a bit large, one would do it. There was a dude in Florida that was selling turbo motor home exhaust logs that had a turbo flange on them, would be great for a single setup. Tied both logs into the passenger side and the turbo sat right on top.

Just found a comp cams 20-230-4 274/280dur 502/511lift would this be a better cam?

And a mopar purpleshaft but i cant find any info on it its got a white stripe and a yellow dot with numbers 202136 stamped in it

I am no expert but seperation is most important on the camshaft. Low duration is second and lift is last.

going to go with twin hx35s as single seems to max around 450 500hp according to people on the turboforums, now thats my goal for right now but as soon as the learning curve is over i got a 416 sitting here in the shop that would love some PSI. Just dont really want to build to setups other then i do have a single setup off of a dodge indy truck the driverside exhaust enters the pass manifold then both sides go through the turbo and turbonetics deltagate wastegate but the manifold is pretty big and i would have to cut a portion of the fenderwell out but iam guessing by the turbo that its going to be 450 500hp max as its the same size as a holset maybe slightly larger

So sounds like i should stick with the stock cam but thats going to limit my rpms as iam sure the stock cam is only good for max 5500rpms correct? I would sure like to have a little bit of a lumpy sound.

do any of you know what the mopar cam is ???? white stripe yellow dot 202136

I think if your worried about it revving you could drop a real mild cam in it. you could probably find a real mild one with 114 lobe separation.

Something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6901/

Good luck, should be quick!

Seems like a really really mild cam do you think it would even be lumpy? I love the sound of the 509 purpleshaft in our magnum 360 i would like the sound to be somewhat simular. I just cant stand the smooth minivan idle sounding cars just isnt right to me. But to each there own

Is my intake a good choice? I also have a summit dual plane, and a victor off my old mans 340.

Iam going to a 360 gotta check compression today as its been sitting out in a ramcharger with the carb off

heres some pics of the car and parts finally got my turbo flanges and u-bends in today

Attachments

• junkyardduallymega 011.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 501
  • junkyardduallymega 010.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 483
  • junkyardduallymega 009.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 473
  • junkyardduallymega 008.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 473
  • junkyardduallymega 007.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 485
  • junkyardduallymega 006.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 467
  • junkyardduallymega 005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 484
  • junkyardduallymega 012.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 465
Who made/ what number are those headers. Yeh...I know they're off a Dakota, prob'ly

Who made/ what number are those headers. Yeh...I know they're off a Dakota, prob'ly

They are headman headers off of a dakota i had out in my salvage yard, very easy setup iam cutting off the flanges and makeing a u-bend straight up on each side very little fabbing.

Love the build, to answer some of your questions:

The camshafts mentioned in your postings are terrible, and not so terrible choices. I would look for a solid lifter camshaft with 112-115 LSA, and somewhere around 220-230* duration @ .050. Lift is important as well, but I would stick to around .500 (after lash) as the head flow isn't great after that point and their is no need to over work the valvesprings. What you are trying to achieve here is little, to no positive overlap.

I don't think you've talked much about your fuel system, but since you are budget oriented, a single Walbro GL392 (external 255LPH) fuel pump will meet your current demands. I would honestly purchase two, ran inline (not --, but =) and have one controlled via Hobbs pressure switch. This will meet all your current, and future fuel demands. -8an forward, and -10an return lines should be mandatory. This isn't power dependent, but fuel pressure and flow dependent. You'll have a terrible time attempting to keep baseline fuel pressure below 10 PSI without running a 5/8" (-10an) return line, as the flow with lower base pressures is much higher than with high base pressure EFI systems. -8an forward lines will meet all your power needs for the future, their is no reason to do this twice. Do it once with quality fuel line (Aeroquip) and be done with it.

Around 14PSI you should relatively make twice the power as your engine could produce without f/i. So, if the little 273 made 275HP you could expect 550HP at the crank if all goes well. You may want to look into basic methanol injection kits, or even build one yourself as they are pretty simplistic and you can gain massive power/per dollar with one. You don't want to leave anything to chance on the verge of detonation in boosted applications. You can build your own kit for $150-$200, google 'home made methanol injection kits'.

Sell the four speed and clutch package, stick with a 727 with a good manual valve body and converter. This is coming from someone who loved his four speed almost more than the car. It just doesn't work well in boosted applications, it may work at the lower power levels, but it is a risk making anything more than 600HP in durability. Even with liberty gear sets and twin disc clutches, it was not designed to handle the power forced induction engines create. You will end up destroying it more than once with any healthy dose of power, especially when you move up the chain to a healthy, boosted 360 based power plant. I was burning through clutches rated for 750HP at 6PSI.

Last but not least, purchase or download Corky Bells Maximum Boost. It is the 'bible' of turbocharging. It is easy for people familiar with turbocharging to ramble off statistics, give advice, and so on. It is better for you to decipher for yourself what is good, and what is not such great advice. This book will teach you everything you need to know about basic turbocharging.

Looks like we got dual 273 junkyard builds going on. Im doing a draw through 273 with a T04B 64mm turbo, magnum logs, 360 4bbl cam/intake and a TQ. Its gonna be ghetto! Free parts are the best and a roll flux core is already set aside for the plumbing. We don't need no stinkin' muffler!

Who sells those unicorn turbo exhaust manifolds?

If you have a 65 Dart Charger you had better restore that and not hot rod it. tmm

-
Back