Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
I like cop car rims! It's too bad that websight link you provided has no better prices than stockton or wheelvintiques. What the hell ever happpened to competition in an open market? All those companies have very similar pricing..

I agree!!
I found a few rims so I will get them blasted and refinished. I think I can find a local fab shop that can widen the ones I have far cheaper!

A little update

My buddy finally was able to get all the parts for the trans so I should have it by the end of the week?????????????? He had to purchase a new reverse manual valvebody. He forgot he used the one he thought he had lol. Its hell getting old!

Won a new Acell "Billetproof" E series distributor at a super price of $125 brand new in the box! Well, when I got it I pulled it from the box to install it and the damn shaft was to long!!!!!!! ARGGGGG!!! I checked the part#'s on the box and on the dizzy and confirmed they matched for MOPAR B-ENGINE. DAMMIT!! I contacted the guy and he was not a distributor and he only had this one. Oh well..... I found a guy who makes the dizzy adaptor and got it for $49.99 shipped. Still came out waaay cheaper than purchasing a new dizzy from a known vendor at over $300 shipped.

In the meantime I am finishing up the final finess bodywork and just about ready to spray the final primer on the body. I have been waiting almost 2 years for AMD to produce the lower rear 1/4 repair panels. They are listed in the catalog but still not available. So I grabbed a lead shot bag and a few hammers and went to work. Made both 1/4 patches and repaired one of the trunk extensions. RPITA! Lotta compound curves down there.

I have ordered a few things for the body like the plug kit, rubber bumper set and new door handles. This leads me into something you folks should think about before you buy new handles specific to your year model.

I got the new handles I ordered today and pulled them out of the box. Nice pieces for $80! After looking at them for a while I had a lightbulb moment.:idea1:
I found a handle from my 87 Ram and started comparing the two. BINGO! They are damn near the same. So I found the old ones for the Cuda and noticed they have a Black plastic button and the new ones are chrome. No big deal. For giggles I pulled the mechanism from the one from my Ram and the new "Cuda" repops and swapped them and they both functioned properly.

The moral to the story is,
Why spend around $100 for handles that are supposed to be year specific when you can get mid 80's Ram handles for less than $20 a piece and the SAME handle? Repops don't even have the correct button in them. The mechanisms are changable!!

Just thought I would share this with you folks. Will save you some dough!:blob:

MORE TO COME!!!:happy6:

Sweet project. Lots of good info. Thanks for sharing. I wish you would have stuck with the 833 but it's your car.

Sweet project. Lots of good info. Thanks for sharing. I wish you would have stuck with the 833 but it's your car.

Thanks.
Good thing I decided to leave the 4spd pedals and hump just in case! Simple swap if I want to. I will probably keep my eyes peeled for a 5 or 6 speed. I had a lead on a Viper 6 speed but it fell through.
Should still be alot of fun with the auto and 800+ horsepower. No jumping in and out of boost like the manual.

Trans is DONE!!
Getting ready to go pick it up. Will post a pic when I get it home!

Our little High School football team is headed to Dallas for the State final tonight in Jerrys' World. My kids are ready to go!! So a four hour trip is in the works.

Shot a quick pic of the new trans with my phone before I left. He put the hardened input and output shafts in and Hemi internals with the Raybestos Blue clutches in it. New Cope reverse manual valvebody and deep pan. Bolt in sprag, 2800rpm stall as well as billet servo. Should hold up for a while I think?

Attachments

• cuda trans.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,132
Legend gear has a new 5 speed coming out.Theres not a ton of info on it,save what I heard on chop,cut,rebuild. Thier websight isnt up yet either,but the trans sounds like it will be able to bolt up to just about anything.

A little more done. One more door and the lower right 1/4 to final sand then finish the right 1/4 patch. Prime and guide coat the body and doors then I can wetsand the jambs so the color and clear can get sprayed. Then I will mount the doors. Pay no attention to the blobs of evercoat on the left and right 1/4's! I usually spread the leftovers on small dings. I rough sand them with 80 then D.A. in 180. If you have seen my Prostreet Ram you will see that it will be like glass once its been blocked.

Then back to the mechanicals!!
I will finish the body restoration at a later date.

Attachments

• DSCN1833.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSCN1834.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • DSCN1835.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSCN1836.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,099
Legend gear has a new 5 speed coming out.Theres not a ton of info on it,save what I heard on chop,cut,rebuild. Thier websight isnt up yet either,but the trans sounds like it will be able to bolt up to just about anything.

I wonder what it is going to sell for and how much power it will take before coming apart? Someone needs to be the ginny pig so we can find out!:D

I dont know Louis,but it went behind a Ray Barton 426 Hemi in Shafi Kieslers XP hemi Charger. So it must be fairly stout.

I dont know Louis,but it went behind a Ray Barton 426 Hemi in Shafi Kieslers XP hemi Charger. So it must be fairly stout.

Yes I seen that one. For some reason I thought you were talking about an automatic......... me dumb dumb... After they work out all the bugs it will probably be a nice unit.

Yes I seen that one. For some reason I thought you were talking about an automatic......... me dumb dumb... After they work out all the bugs it will probably be a nice unit.

Lol,
Bet its Pricey! Be a nice addition though.

Yup me too. My Dart wouldnt happen if it were not for generous donations. My entire driveline except the 8 3/4 is donated.God knows how I will get the ball rolling enough to get it done.

Fancy stuff ya see on shows and in magazines are just that,stuff. I can and will build a car without the expensive shite. Those companies rarely discount thier prices,or even offer a sale.Even then the price is silly.

Looking great I see it is cooled off enough to lite the heater LOL!I'm going to check in those handles,I need some for my dart.

Looking great I see it is cooled off enough to lite the heater LOL!I'm going to check in those handles,I need some for my dart.

Yeah,
I don't know what the heck is going on. Horribly Hot or too damn Cold. What happened to spring and fall with the mild temps?? Guess global warming screwed me lol...

Last bodywork thing! Really!
Gotta repair that floor and right bumper bracket from a prior accident then I can spotweld the new AMD rear body panel on.

Attachments

• DSCN1843.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCN1844.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,028
Finally got my Pops car out of my shop. I call it Turd but he calls it Junkyard Dog. Its setup for turbo but he doesn't have one yet. Old (fresh) 413 in it that "Sounds" good but with 8:1 compression needs a leash .

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Ok,
Got the doorglass pieces ordered. Should be at the dealer next week. Picked up a Proform mainbody for the carb and while I was there he had a 8.75 with a 3.23 open. I will just pull the ring & pinion gear and swap out the 3.55's. Also got the dizzy spacer and installed it.

Going out now to tape the body for primer. Almost got the rear body panel done too. Having to fab up some sheetmetal for the floor area near the right rear bumper mount where it was smacked. Slow but steady!

FINALLY got the body and doors done! Rear body panel from AMD fit nicely too. Its in prime and tomorrow I will get the jambs wetsanded and based. Then I can clear all the jambs and get the doors back on.
I will be tearing the Camaro down for a BIG parts list then I can jump back on the Cuda and get it running. As soon as its running I will post a video.

GET READY!!

Attachments

• DSCN1900.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 936
  • DSCN1901.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 923
  • DSCN1902.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 935
  • DSCN1903.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 929
  • DSCN1904.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 939
Thought I would share a pic of the Camaro that belongs to my third mother lol.....

Attachments

• DSCN1679.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 950
That body work is looking great on the Barracuda. I like that '67 RS/SS Camaro too that is a nice car.

That body work is looking great on the Barracuda. I like that '67 RS/SS Camaro too that is a nice car.

Thanks. Slow process but getting there.
The Camaro is really a nice survivor. 80,000 original miles. RS/SS 350 with a Glide. Mono leaf rear. Lots of goodies. Even a/c, power steering and power drum brakes. EASY restoration.

Nice work.

Didn't know AMD was making that rear panel. I have been working to patch mine on my NSS Cuda. Now I may order in the new panel instead.

Just out of curiosity did you ever race that car in near stock form over in Baytown for one of the Mopar shows a few years back? I have an H code GTS, and remember a blue 4-Speed Cuda clicking off passes in near stock form. Only got a brief look at it back then but always hoped I would see it again.

-Dave

Nice work.

Didn't know AMD was making that rear panel. I have been working to patch mine on my NSS Cuda. Now I may order in the new panel instead.

Just out of curiosity did you ever race that car in near stock form over in Baytown for one of the Mopar shows a few years back? I have an H code GTS, and remember a blue 4-Speed Cuda clicking off passes in near stock form. Only got a brief look at it back then but always hoped I would see it again.

-Dave
The rear body panel is a nice piece. That all that is available for our cars except the front lower valance and bumpers. I got a good discount over on moparts and scored it for less than $180 shipped.
I got the car from a guy by the name of Tom Foley out of Shepherd Texas he may have raced it out there. He got the car with a W2 headed smallblock. He had my good friend build and install the 69 440 sixpack and 4 speed in it. I seen it there and traded my high 8 second 66 Falcon for it. He is still racing the Falcon in Diboll and HMP.

When I got the car Tom had already ruined the 440 by cracking the center carb and flooding the intake with gas in turn washing the rings out. I drove it around maybe 200 miles then did a compression check to find out I had to park it. Damn shame since the drivetrain had less than 1800 miles on it.

You will be seeing it again soon! May only be able to make one pass before I get kicked off the track at Royal Purple Raceway lol.

Nice ride you have there in your avatar!!

This is what it looked like when I got it,

Attachments

• cuda.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 918
-
Back