Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
That engine should spin no more than 6200rpm i.m.o.. Its a B-engine.
6200! you wuss! my 451" rb has been 7500 by accident.. lol stock rod stock crank. Used to shift it at 7k. Ran that short block for 9 years never tore it down.. Just cams and heads.. lol

well i sold one of my bikes so just trying to get all the goodies i want before the wife finds something she wants top one is the one i sold still have the bottom one :glasses7:

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 542
its not to difficult to drill and tap the block. Just dont go to deep. Its 1/2" NPT.. :glasses7:

thanks for the info my buddy has a full machine shop so when i get ready to install the pickup ill make him come over

6200! you wuss! my 451" rb has been 7500 by accident.. lol stock rod stock crank. Used to shift it at 7k. Ran that short block for 9 years never tore it down.. Just cams and heads.. lol

Honestly, I don't think the 906 heads will let it! IIRC the cam is good to 6800rpm. I built the bottom end bulletproof and was told by the machinist it is balanced to 9000rpm.

Honestly, I don't think the 906 heads will let it! IIRC the cam is good to 6800rpm. I built the bottom end bulletproof and was told by the machinist it is balanced to 9000rpm.
ya I ran my 906 big valve heads for quite a while. If I remember right they fell off at 6800.. Switched to some ported stage VI heads and then she would wind up! LOL

ya I ran my 906 big valve heads for quite a while. If I remember right they fell off at 6800.. Switched to some ported stage VI heads and then she would wind up! LOL

was thinking about the edelbrock heads but not sure yet, your stage VI heads who makes those

was thinking about the edelbrock heads but not sure yet, your stage VI heads who makes those

Mopar makes the stage 6. I had the stage 5 iron heads on my Prostreet Ram and they were nothing more than 906 heads. Waste of good money!

If you choose to change heads I would go with the Eddy's 88cc chambers or if you can find a good set of used B1 heads would even be better. I have been hearing bad things about the Indy stuff! My buddy ordered a set of roller rockers for his 426 Hemi and they are PURE garbage!!!! Chinese crap with no bearings or bushings in them!

I have a build thread on www.fastmopar.com too. Just forgot to tell you about it since it was a new site. Get with Josh over there and find out what head he is using. I think he owns that site. He has a badass Duster with a BB turbo setup among several other members. His was just in several magazines.. They are building their cars to run in the X275 class.

Just make sure you get 80+cc chambers or it will change the compression ratio!!!!!! That is unless you are removing the turbo.....

was just looking at a set of rpm heads that are cnc ported almost $2900 and a set of hand ported ones for $2300 at hughes engine think they might be over kill maybe the standard rpm head will work just fine not sure which way to go what do you think cuudak

was just looking at a set of rpm heads that are cnc ported almost $2900 and a set of hand ported ones for $2300 at hughes engine think they might be over kill maybe the standard rpm head will work just fine not sure which way to go what do you think cuudak

CNC porting is more precise! Hand porting is ok. Never overkill on a turbo application in my opinion!! The cam will limit you to around 800hp but if you are REALLY serious give Scott Brown a call and he will grind a custom cam for max horsepower. He ground the cam thats in it now but its more for street use. Just remember, with the 906 heads that are on it now its at 9:1 compression. Thats as far as I would go as far as compression is concerned with the turbo.

BTW, those damn head gaskets are expensive!!!

With those heads you will definitly max out that turbo! Probably 1200hp max but don't know how far to push the stock block. It is a mid 70's 400 B so it is one of the stronger blocks. I have seen 451" based 400's live at 800hp carb'd for years in drag race applications!!

This car "WILL" scare the hell out of you once you get it ironed out and drive it!!!!!

:happy1:

the carb i had built will support up to 950 horse that would be plenty in my opinion so guess what i'
m wondering is the heads on it now will they support that much power or do i need to step up edelbrock rpm heads that are hand ported or will it be fine the way it is

the carb i had built will support up to 950 horse that would be plenty in my opinion so guess what i'
m wondering is the heads on it now will they support that much power or do i need to step up edelbrock rpm heads that are hand ported or will it be fine the way it is

The 906 heads will limit you! Period. I wouldn't expect more than 800 hp at the crank.

As the saying goes run it with what you have, tune it and figure it out. Almost everyone blows up their first Turbo Motor. It is part of the game. Upgrade after you smoke this one!

As the saying goes run it with what you have, tune it and figure it out. Almost everyone blows up their first Turbo Motor. It is part of the game. Upgrade after you smoke this one!

I believe it can be avoided if it is tuned by someone that knows whats going on. Lots of money in this shortblock not to mention what is in yours!!!

well i did find someone who is said the best around but haven't talked to the guy yet why to early for tunning i have a lot to do when all my parts show up

from what i read it sounds like it a lot safer to run a little rich than a little lean

Not everyone blows up their first turbo motor. It was my fourth that took a dive. lol. I agree with Louis, run what you have. I bet it will make over a thousand with a good tune and enough boost. Everyone will tell you this and that will limit power but in reality these motors are really dependant on boost. More boost=more power. Case in point I did a small block Chevy with a .460 lift hydraulic RV cam, unported dart heads, 8:1 compression and the car ran deep in the nines with a stock cast short block out of an Impala that we grabbed out of pick a part. It lived only 10 passes I think but revved to 7k and went over 140 with 2 T04s and 16 pounds of boost. Everyone said it wouldn't run. My point is that turbo cars are still uncharted territory and everyone should make their own way and gather their own data because every set up is different from the rest.

Not everyone blows up their first turbo motor. It was my fourth that took a dive. lol. I agree with Louis, run what you have. I bet it will make over a thousand with a good tune and enough boost. Everyone will tell you this and that will limit power but in reality these motors are really dependant on boost. More boost=more power. Case in point I did a small block Chevy with a .460 lift hydraulic RV cam, unported dart heads, 8:1 compression and the car ran deep in the nines with a stock cast short block out of an Impala that we grabbed out of pick a part. It lived only 10 passes I think but revved to 7k and went over 140 with 2 T04s and 16 pounds of boost. Everyone said it wouldn't run. My point is that turbo cars are still uncharted territory and everyone should make their own way and gather their own data because every set up is different from the rest.

I know it can be done without blowing it up. But I do believe from what I am reading "boost is like Crack" so keep the Dial a boost as far away from you as possible, "I think turbodart68 is the one who told me that", cause if it is in the car your gunna wick it up and get greedy! haaa The only experience I have with boost was in my diesel trucks and my Sand Car. The sand car weighed 1850 Lbs and had a quad cam Cadillac Motor in it with a Vortec Super Charger on it at 10PSI, 600HP and over 500ftlbs of torque to the tires. I swear that car felt like it was going to take flight. Nothing like crusing down sand highway at night in 4th gear, stomp on the throttle at 60mph and the nose points straight up to the stars. Damn fun stuff!! And YES I blew that motor up 2 times and it was tuned by Godspeed in Oceanside on their Chassis Dyno. Getting Greedy will be anyones downfall with boost.

well just came home with all the reilly motersport supension for the barracuda very well built stuff Bill is great to deal with and full of lots of good information bad part about doing this swap is the 15 inch wheels and tires i bought wont work :-:)-:)-( so after talking with Bill for several hours i figured out what i could use it was nice of him to show me different setups on the cars he has sitting there anyway just ordered new tires and wheels going to run 255/40/18s on the front and 285/40/18s on the back with the nitti 555 all the way around also just recieved my new radiator and fan, new seats, TTI exhaust (the tips fit perfect), painless fuse box, type 2 power steering pump and remote tank, and danso mini alternator man is it small

well just came home with all the reilly motersport supension for the barracuda very well built stuff Bill is great to deal with and full of lots of good information bad part about doing this swap is the 15 inch wheels and tires i bought wont work :-:)-:)-( so after talking with Bill for several hours i figured out what i could use it was nice of him to show me different setups on the cars he has sitting there anyway just ordered new tires and wheels going to run 255/40/18s on the front and 285/40/18s on the back with the nitti 555 all the way around also just recieved my new radiator and fan, new seats, TTI exhaust (the tips fit perfect), painless fuse box, type 2 power steering pump and remote tank, and danso mini alternator man is it small

Ahhh you dog! Its not even Christmas yet????:cheers: Have the wife wrap'm up for you and put them under the tree...

O'well, you wanted bigger wheels and tires on it to begin with. There are a bunch of members on this forum up by you that may want those brand new wheels!!:D

Ahhh you dog! Its not even Christmas yet????:cheers: Have the wife wrap'm up for you and put them under the tree...

O'well, you wanted bigger wheels and tires on it to begin with. There are a bunch of members on this forum up by you that may want those brand new wheels!!:D

well i'll definitely sell them i'll have to figure out what i paid for though

just got a call my roll cage is done and being shipped

Attachments

• Chassisworks_CC_125x22.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 7020_drawing.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 431
-
Back