Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
Got the brackets on the car already. My pops home built "Carl-TRAKS" are done and ready to install. He laughed cuz I put the name in Chrome LOL!!

Attachments

• carl-traks 001.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,315
Wow what a cluster!!!
Got most of the right side done. Coatings Suck!! A Royal "PITA".... I suppose it will work. Next time I'll get a Hemi and I won't have to worry about spark plugs
Guess i'll take the hotside to my buddies and wash those welds with a TIG and get them blasted. I have VHT in flat black then they will be wrapped as stated before.

Attachments

• progress 001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,288
  • progress 002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,289
  • progress 003.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,279
  • progress 004.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,268
  • progress 008.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • progress 007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,273
  • progress 006.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,458
  • progress 005.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,263
not to throw you against this but ive heard baaaaad tings about ebay turbos.....ive heard they blow up motors cuz the bearings wear out pretty fast

not to throw you against this but ive heard baaaaad tings about ebay turbos.....ive heard they blow up motors cuz the bearings wear out pretty fast

Not a worry for me. Mine is German! Borg/Warner T6 S480 80mm
It was purchased from Forced Inductions with upgraded 1.10 A/R turbine housing and the .83 turbine.

You should read up some on those turbo's! There is a 454 Nova with 2 of them that runs the 1/4 mid 8's. A couple of years on them too. MadDart is using 2 also. It has been stated that the machine work is good but to disassemble them and clean Thoroughly before use.

ok good to go then! =D id just hate to see a fellow mopar lover spend all that money just to blow there motor due to a worn out cheap bearing in a turbo. How that little piece can cause a HUGE headache And HUGE dent in your wallet is beyond me lol

ok good to go then! =D id just hate to see a fellow mopar lover spend all that money just to blow there motor due to a worn out cheap bearing in a turbo. How that little piece can cause a HUGE headache And HUGE dent in your wallet is beyond me lol

I did a crap load of research before I took that step. I almost went that way but was convinced to go with a quality single. Only thing is the HUGE downpipe.

You really need to do some research on what you are saying cause you absolutely do not know what you are talking about I can tell you that!

Every Turbo Manufacturer has had Failures, I don't care which brand. Installation and Fabrication is probably the biggest reason for Turbo Failure. Don't matter which turbo!

Get educated on the matter here:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96046.0

4 Seasons on Ebay Turbo's Runs 8.80's in the quarter!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6VdAHJFh3Y&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Mike's 1967 Ebay Twin Turbo Powered BBC[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npwI7gJRTNw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - 47 Street car Shoot-Out Edm[/ame]

This guy runs NOS with a Single GT45 ebay Turbo. 6.30 in the 1/8th with a Stock 5.3!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTV8QTIVYB0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - michasmovie.wmv[/ame]

Single GT45 Ebay Turbo with alot of time on it. Another 5.3

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/lsxmalibu/?action=view&current=20101016_141752.mp4

There are also Several Guys running this Turbo on their Diesel applications pushing well over 50lbs of boost with great success! Do some research and you will see!

Damn Louie!! You really are MAD!! :goodman::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nahhh, I use to think the same thing until I did the research! There's alot of information out there and it is really easy to find it.

All the failures I hear about are not from the End User. It is always here say. My brothers Wife's uncle's sister inlaws second cousin in Brazil said he heard about a guy on the east coast,...................haaaaaaaa

1 pipe left to do for the crossover pipe and the hotside is done :bang:. What a nightmare! At least its nicely packaged without alot of clutter. Now I can start fabbing the Intercooler bracket. Its gotta support the center hood support as well. The cold side is gonna need some welding, I don't have a tig :doh:.. Gonna have to pay for that.

Here are a few pics of the setup in place,

Attachments

• progress 006.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,217
  • progress 005.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,208
  • progress 004.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,216
  • progress 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,230
  • progress 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,555
  • progress 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,216
Danggggggggggg, your almost done!

Gotta lotta other stuff to do. I need to weld the sump to my new gas tank and get all the fuel system installed. Figure out where all these new electronics are going to be placed and then install them.

I think I have decided to Hardline all the lines for the wastegate, bov, boost controller, timing retarder and the fuel pump controller as well as the fuel pressure regulator.

Its gonna be in the 70's all next week so I will be in the shop for a while getting busy.

I wish I had the tools and the space to do work like this, oh yeah, and the talent, truly awesome!

I have a turbo car, (not an A body Mopar), and I found that moving the air filter outside of the engine bay greatly increased the power, (a noticeable difference when driving), as there is a huge amount of heat/hot air generated with all of the pipes. I put mine under the car, in front of the driver side tire/inner fender, it ended up right behind the fog light. Although technically it would be better farther away from the road, (hot asphalt), I did not want to cut up my hood.
It is completely separated from the engine bay, and to remove and clean the filter I have to climb under the car.

I had added a fiberglass hood with a cowl scoop to try to get some of the heat out of the engine bay, but that did not seem to work very well, only when stopped, so I put the stocker back on.

I also see your air intake tube appears to be very close to the exhaust, which could easily heat that pipe up and the incoming air, decreasing the effectiveness of the intercooler.

I had a similar issue: the maf sensor was against the radiator hose, heating up the air and killing maf sensors. I ended up wrapping it it some heat resistant stuff, I do not recall what it is or where I got it, but it solved my problem. Now the air intake pipe stays cool, even on hot days, and on cold days the power is unreal!

Last thing, and maybe you covered this already, with such a big intercooler you may need to add an electric fan, or two, to the radiator. Mine has 2 from the factory so I was all set. Some people even add liquid intercoolers, which are smaller and do not take away from the radiator- but are way expensive!

Thought I would share my turbo experiences. Although your build is quite different from my factory turbo car, the concept and design are the same.

Hope this helps a little.

What do you have planned for the exhaust?

Mine has a single 3" pipe all the way out, and not only does it sound awesome, but it confuses many people- they either think it is some lame engine since it is not dual exhaust, or they realize right away there is something else going on under the hood.

I wish I had the tools and the space to do work like this, oh yeah, and the talent, truly awesome!

Thanks Matt

I have a turbo car, (not an A body Mopar), and I found that moving the air filter outside of the engine bay greatly increased the power, (a noticeable difference when driving), as there is a huge amount of heat/hot air generated with all of the pipes. I put mine under the car, in front of the driver side tire/inner fender, it ended up right behind the fog light. Although technically it would be better farther away from the road, (hot asphalt), I did not want to cut up my hood.
It is completely separated from the engine bay, and to remove and clean the filter I have to climb under the car.

Heat really shouldn't be much of an issue. I am using Ceramic VHT paint on the entire hotside and the wrapping with DEI header wrap and their silicone spray.

I had added a fiberglass hood with a cowl scoop to try to get some of the heat out of the engine bay, but that did not seem to work very well, only when stopped, so I put the stocker back on.

I am going to fab up some type of front spoiler so more air is directed into the front.

I also see your air intake tube appears to be very close to the exhaust, which could easily heat that pipe up and the incoming air, decreasing the effectiveness of the intercooler.

I had a similar issue: the maf sensor was against the radiator hose, heating up the air and killing maf sensors. I ended up wrapping it it some heat resistant stuff, I do not recall what it is or where I got it, but it solved my problem. Now the air intake pipe stays cool, even on hot days, and on cold days the power is unreal!

All the hotside will be wrapped. The intake tube has since been directed toward the top of the intercooler so it is about 4"s from the crossover pipe now.

Last thing, and maybe you covered this already, with such a big intercooler you may need to add an electric fan, or two, to the radiator. Mine has 2 from the factory so I was all set. Some people even add liquid intercoolers, which are smaller and do not take away from the radiator- but are way expensive!

I had planned on using the stock fan but have decided to use electric.

Thought I would share my turbo experiences. Although your build is quite different from my factory turbo car, the concept and design are the same.

Hope this helps a little.

What do you have planned for the exhaust?

Mine has a single 3" pipe all the way out, and not only does it sound awesome, but it confuses many people- they either think it is some lame engine since it is not dual exhaust, or they realize right away there is something else going on under the hood.

5" downpipe into 2 3.5" split near the bellhousing. The left side will cross under the oilpan and 90 back into stock location. The right side will drop beside the bellhousing and 45 out to the stock location then 3.5" to Race Bullets and 3.5" out the back. Gonna try and find a pair of 3.5" SS square tips out the stock cutouts. Should be quiter than the 440 that was in it?? The 440 screamed "Potatoe Potatoe Potatoe" very loudly...

Cheer me on. I hope its all it is supposed to be!!

Thanks CUUDAK for all information on your build, I know nothing about turbos. I am hooked on your build.
I am looking forward to see how all electronics work and hook up. Looks like fun.
:happy1:

Thanks CUUDAK for all information on your build, I know nothing about turbos. I am hooked on your build.
I am looking forward to see how all electronics work and hook up. Looks like fun.
:happy1:

Yeah,
its all new to me too! Its here for all to ponder. Enjoy it. My patience wears thin so I have to walk away at times. This is a complete vehicle change here. I am committed now. Its warming up so I can spend a bit more time on it and get things done.

Thanks for the props and Happy reading!

Ok thought you might want to check out a Canadian Cuda twin [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP63rYjdi5Y"]YouTube - Twin turbo Cuda[/ame]

Got 1 side of the "Carl-TRAKS" installed today after installing the Energy Suspension bushings into the springs.

Attachments

• carl-tracs 001.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • carl-tracs 002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,281
  • carl-tracs 003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,258
-
Back