Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda

-
Good stuff Dan!

Guess the budget has been blown twice :) I did it the first time.

how much was your budget i have about 15 k into parts right now but i think i have every thing i need at this point maybe forgot a couple of little things but not much

Dude you got mega parts. Now you gotta put all of them on the car. When you gunna start?

its been to cold my shop is to small to work on the car without the door open but the minute it worms up ill be al over it

just a question does anyone here have experience mini tubing a fast back and if so how did you work out were the rear seat mounts into the inner wheel house just trying to get some ideas i thought about just narrowing the seat frame but then again someone might have a better way of doing it

heres what the new dash will look like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 747
hers a pic of one of the wheels with the new center cap and a pic of the transmission still waiting on a lot of parts for the trans

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 726
  • photo 1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 712
just a question does anyone here have experience mini tubing a fast back and if so how did you work out were the rear seat mounts into the inner wheel house just trying to get some ideas i thought about just narrowing the seat frame but then again someone might have a better way of doing it

The concept is the same on all the cars. I cut out the mounting hardware on mine and moved it over with the Wheel Tub. You can find pics of what I did in my Mini Tub Thread in my link below. I don't know what page but I documented it really good.

had a real nice day today so i built the fan shroud for my radiator also set up AN fittings on my over flow tank

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 699
You may want to keep that! The 8.75 might not last too long.

i don't understand and can't rap my head around why every one thinks the 9" is stronger than the 8 3/4 i have used both and broke both so I started researching this subject since it first come up and talked to a lot of rear end builders and the only advantage a 9" has is a huge cheap supply of parts available for it but as far as strength the 9" has a lot smaller pinion shaft but does have a third bearing support that does make it stronger than the small 8 3/4 but not as strong as the 489 with a 1 7/8 pinion shaft these do have one problem with a stock crush sleeve it keeps crushing with high horse motors and thats why you have to install a crush sleeve eliminator in them making them stronger than a 9" this is what every shop i have talked to tells me now the dana 60 that anther story it is defiantly stronger than both and i'm told way cheaper to build but for me i really like the drop out third member I know i'm rambling but i just had to say this

No way an 8.75 is stronger. I think your sources need to go back to rehab. I can see the pipe burns on their lips from hittin the pipe a lil too much.
Seriously though, it's not like your gunna shock the housing real hard with a turbo. Don't be like me, run what you brung!! Stay on trac so the car gets finished. If you have problems, make the swap then.

No way an 8.75 is stronger. I think your sources need to go back to rehab. I can see the pipe burns on their lips from hittin the pipe a lil too much.
Seriously though, it's not like your gunna shock the housing real hard with a turbo. Don't be like me, run what you brung!! Stay on trac so the car gets finished. If you have problems, make the swap then.

i am defiantly going to run the 8 3/4 have a 1 year warranty on that third member said no matter how i broke it he would fix it and he builds a lot of rear ends but like i said earlier i've broke both had a 71 dodge short box with about 600 horse i used to go through the 9" third members like crazy but back then you could pick them up (30 years ago) all day long for 20 dollars at the junk yard maybe i'm just not seeing something but my mind tells me it takes a lot more to twist a 1 7/8 shaft than a 1 3/8 shaft ( unless you purchase the after market pinion setup which i believe is 1.83" and that was way out of my price range 30 years ago ) in half and every one that ever failed me thats what failed except one the housing itself failed and the entire pinion and half the housing came loose i mean tore it right in half this is my experience any way and from that i personally think they are very much about the same in strength in stock form but you can build the **** out of anything thats were the abundant available parts comes into play i'm not trying to piss anyone off just saying my two cents worth

I hear ya! Now I know you got a lot of parts to get installed and set up, better get crackinnn!, put them hours in!

man is it cold here 5 below zero so i had my kids help me drag all my upholstery crap in the the house my wife is hating that but now at least i can get something done on the car even if its not mechanical i have both door panels and rear panels to build and redo all the seats got all the seats tour down yesterday

got the rear wheels back from being widened and the new tires mounted i think they look pretty good

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 604
Very cool on getting the rims widened.How wide are they now and how wide were they to start? Did you have it done locally or have to ship the rims out? How much did it cost?

Very cool on getting the rims widened.How wide are they now and how wide were they to start? Did you have it done locally or have to ship the rims out? How much did it cost?

they were 10" now 12" had to send them to weld craft did a nice job but it cost $200.00 a wheel

^^^What he said!^^^

I threw down 945hp coming off the trans-brake at 5000rpm on a "N" case 9". Shredded the ring gear twice! The first Richmond "Pro Gear" had 200+ passes and the second was due to bad setup from someone who shoulda known better. My friend setup the third and it has 200+ passes and going strong. Get this, on Richmond street gears!

There is No comparison between the two. The Billet pinion support among the rear pinion bearing make it #1 diff. In all honesty, i'd pick the 9" over a Dana even. I have a narrowed 9" housing ut its only 38" wide. If it wasn't so narrow it would have been in that car.

If you intend on that 8.75 lasting I would find the link in this thread for the rear brace and stitch that across the rear of the housing. Once that sucker hits boost its gonna be hell on it if it actually gets traction.

Are you still thinking of running that bigger gear? Remember, the turbo needs "Load" on it so you will need a gear somewhere around 3.0?.... If you do run that one it will change where and when you get boost. The 3.23 gear that was in it was factored in when the size of the turbo was determined. Jose at Forced Inductions asked what gear I would be running before he gave me his choice after he knew what I built and what the "Goal" was.

Not telling you what to do but as a piece of advice I would read up on that. Tire height is also a factor.

Hurry up!:D I wanna know how she ***** and gits!!!:burnout:

On, another note,
got the White Flashtech 14volt 4 ring Halo's for the SRT. The red Plasma LED's will be here tomorrow for the "Terminator" look from the projectors. Probably put them in Wednesday. I'll post a pic when I get them done if you want to see them!
So far she's been like a Timex! Takes a lickn'. keeps on tickn':toothy7:!!

I joined the local LX Modern Muscle car club with around 300 LX, R/T, SRT8 and CSRT8 members (DAMN those SRT Jeeps are bad!!). Everyone asks about the front spoiler:cheers:... Definitely draws the SRT8 Charger crowd. Been having alot of fun with it! O'yeah, its in the upper 70's here bro!!:sign5:

i can only wish for 70 s weather been between 5 below and 10 degrees here for the last 4 weeks and i'm just to damn old to go play in the cold especially if i don't have to and yes i have a back brace for that housing i have a lot of work to do before she runs again all new front suspension and fear suspension, change oil pan and pickup tube, rebuild the center floor hump to clear the new trans, install the new trans, install the dash and gauges, rewire everything, mini tub it, install the roll cage, fab all the brackets for the alternator and the power steering pump, install the new radiator support, finish the inner fender well, and still have to fix the rot on the drivers side air plentum, fab up the new hood, narrow the rear seat frames, (can't do that till after its mini tubed) finish all the upholstery, install the rack and pinion steering, plum in all the meth injection, fab up a defuser and a air splitter, fix the front fenders, then i get to take it all apart and get it ready for paint, put her back together, then i can start the tuning process, not to much to do list is it …. oh i forgot i still have to paint all the interior panels

-
Back