Turbo vs supercharger?

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Just for the sake of conversation if money wasn't an issue. For a street car which would you choose and why?

Superchargers work more direct as they are crank driven.
Turbo's need some time before they spool up and start to work. But with proper turbo-sizing you can almost fix that.

As a result, superchargers always 'eat' power from the engine even when they are not pressurizing the intake charge.

Superchargers work more direct as they are crank driven.
Turbo's need some time before they spool up and start to work. But with proper turbo-sizing you can almost fix that.

As a result, superchargers always 'eat' power from the engine even when they are not pressurizing the intake charge.
What would you choose?

More OEM applovations use turbo, but if it were me, I would go with a big old honking supercharger sticking out of the hood

I know very little about either but i know less about superchargers. I just recently started seeing what kind of power a turbo can really make it's very impressive. What got me kinda turned on to them is my dad had a rental car his was in the shop and they gave him this brand new 2018 Chevy equinox AWD with a 4 cylinder I laughed at first but said wait till you drive it. This thing would scream a big awd SUV with a 4 banger that would easily smoke my 5.2 dodge ram and my 4.6 mountaineer. ( the mountaineer would be close) but its getting 30mpg vs my 15! I couldn't believe it. So when I was finished driving it I popped the hood and then I saw it that little turbo setting on the exhaust manifold. So I started doing some research and watching YouTube videos and reading about them they can make some serious power out of smaller engines. Now I understand how those rivers are so darn fast lol. I saw one guy on yt that had dart with a 318 similar to the build I'm doing and a single turbo dyno at 560hp! That was @16lbs of boost so it was probably the max but still that's insane to me! Now understand that ain't cheap bolt on power that's expensive and extensive tuning but if I could get 400 out of one I'd be happy. Lol I'm seriously thinking about after my car is done I plan on fixing up my old truck fixing the rust dents repainting it and refreshing the engine I may have to get my hands on a turbo kit I think that would be so cool. Have a 318 dodge truck that will run with all these stupid diesels Haha.

Turbo is the way to go people always choose supercharger because of pluming all said and done turbo is the power adder for me I have done them both.

Superchargers are big hot air pumps originally designed to pump air into mine shafts. They wear out, use crank power to turn, are loud and usually require a large hole in the hood.

After all that if I had the cash I would put one on in a hot second! I love the vintage look, the sound and instant boost.

This is not a simple question. There are positive displacement (Roots style) superchargers, and there are centrifugal superchargers (Procharger, Paxton, Vortech) which apply boost more like a turbocharger.
The Roots style blowers can provide boost at very low rpm, and the added low end torque can make them a lot of fun on a street car. If the goal is a stoplight to stoplight runner, a Roots blower is fun and impressive to look at and listen to. The boost is immediate, basically from idle on up. There are several disadvantages to this style of supercharger, it consumes horsepower to drive it, it generally (but not always) requires hood modifications, and it heats the intake charge reducing charge density. On the other hand, it always increases power by a lot more than it takes to drive it, and there are intercoolers available for some of the designs. Plus they look cool, and the sound of a 3" toothed blower drive is badass.

For a more serious application that is occasionally raced, and where consistency is important, a centrifugal supercharger or turbocharger is generally preferred. These build boost more gradually as engine rpm increases, making the car less likely to lose traction right at the hit. You can also control the amount of boost with adjustable waste gate valves that open when a predetermined amount of boost is reached. These valves can also be used to control the rate of boost, or be timed to allow full boost at a specific time when going down the track. (Sort of like stacked nitrous kits) The tuneability of these systems are why they are so popular on big power (3500hp) pro-mod style cars. They are both more maintenance intensive, and generally require a lot more plumbing and an inter-cooler for best results.

For a street only car, I and many others prefer the "instant" torque of a roots style supercharger. They are just more fun in daily driving, as you don't need high rpm to make boost or light the tires.
However, if I was going bracket racing I would absolutely use a centrifugal supercharger, or even more likely a turbocharger.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of conversation if money wasn't an issue. For a street car which would you choose and why?
Money not an issue?
Turbo, twin actually, Holley Dominator EFI.

Why? The turbo is easier on the crank.

Since money is an issue, Super Charger. Easier, quicker installation, less money and time plumbing the pressurized air. With or without a intercooler.

Do you Think mad max would have made it through the first movie in a turbocharged 4 banger?

Or would macuad have made if out alive if he had a snail engine?

I have both in the past.
And currently building one each, twin turbo, and roots supercharged small block for two different cars I own.
I prefer the roots supercharger because of the "instant" throttle response.
Turbos are kinda give me a second or two and I will pass you type power, and easier on parts.

[QUOTE
Turbos are kinda give me a second or two and I will pass you type power, and easier on parts.[/QUOTE]
That lag and then spool will turn your Mopar into a Mustang! LOL

[QUOTE
Turbos are kinda give me a second or two and I will pass you type power, and easier on parts.
That lag and then spool will turn your Mopar into a Mustang! LOL[/QUOTE]

A little nitrous helps eliminate the lag.

Turbos are cool, in fact my daily is a turbo car but for all out awesomeness you cant beat a GMC roots....

Here's one I got collecting dust just waiting for it's time in the sun....

20180902_145335_zpsgk8prr52.jpg

I mean come on now, THATS what cool looks like...

(Non mopar I know but still cool as an ice cream cake at an eskimo party.)

:)

If money isn't a issue build both lol. I love the sound of both, currently building a twin turbo set up. But my dream for my other classic a 72 satellite, would be big block twin turbo efi. But wouldn't mind doing a supercharger build one of these days.

Depending on your fabrication skills , and budget. What body / car is this gonna go into?
I like a middle ground : a centrifugal blower ,on a Mopar sbc...
My heart : LOVE MY ROOTES...Check out Pat Ghanal's "Supercharger book"...Wonderful read ,and educate yourself .

download (1).jpeg

If I read this right and you are only looking for 400 horsepower it would be a NA combo. 400-500 NA combos are cool. Power added combos in that same horsepower range are expensive WIMPS.

-
Back