Turbocharged tower of power?

-

Spudmaster

Reaction score
Before I put the 6.1 Hemi in my Valiant (dream, dream) I would like to try turbocharging the 6. I have seen a pile of less that effective, or nice looking turbo setups on the internet. What I am looking for is someone, or some site which has actually made a proper 300+ RWHP turbo install.
I am not new to turbo installing, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so-to-speak. So if there are people out there who have done this job, please contact me.

Dale

Maybe he will chime in but I'm sure I saw someone with an 11 sec /6,not sure if it had a turbo,maybe a supercharger.8)

I thought about Tom and his Simca, but figured it was too extreme. Didn't mean to leave you out Charlie, it was kind of late and I was just trying to point him in a direction.

There are at least 2 other running turbo cars on slantsix.org. The guy with the '66 Valiant running 10s with a little 170 is really cool. At least I think it is still a 170, I know that is where he started.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28649&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Fair amount of info over there on how to do it, good place to start looking for info.

I thought about Tom and his Simca, but figured it was too extreme. Didn't mean to leave you out Charlie, it was kind of late and I was just trying to point him in a direction.

The Drake's Simca, and my Valiant are two opposite extremes on turbo setups. The Simca is high dollar/high tech, and mine is low dollar/low tech. The best course is somewhere in the middle.

So is your setup a "suck-through" carb setup? How well does it work? Does the carb need as much work done to it as a blow-through style?

I was wondering about another thing, what about adapting the Jeep/AMC I-6 EFI setup to a turbo /6? Anybody think it would work?

Mine is a "draw thru". I wound up using a 500cfm Holley 2bbl, on a 90* adapter. The setup ran good for 1980. It leaves a lot to be disired by todays technology. Just about everything on mine is obsolete and no longer available. In those days, there wasn't even such a thing as a boost timing retard, Like a MSD.
The only speial mods to the carb, was to reference the power valve to the intake manifold, not the base of the carb.

I was wondering about another thing, what about adapting the Jeep/AMC I-6 EFI setup to a turbo /6? Anybody think it would work?

This gets discussed on slantsix.org from time to time, but I wouldn't try swapping Jeep 4.0 hardware onto anything but an older AMC straight six. Here's why not.

1. The Jeep engines used an oddball crank trigger; you'd have to custom machine one to work on anything it doesn't bolt to.

2. There are almost no tuning tools for the factory ECU. You might get away with this on a stock slant six, but on a turbo motor you're going to need some way to hack its fuel and ignition tables.

3. For a turbo motor, it's easy to run out of injector size when (2) prevents you from retuning it for larger injectors.

The only OEM EFI engine management I've seen successfully transplanted onto a slant six was off a GM V6. If you really know OEM computers, I suspect it would be possible to get the EEC-IV system on certain Ford V6s to work on a slant six, or the Bosch Motronic system used on BMW slant sixes. There are at least chip burning tools available for the OBD1 Motronic and EEC-IV, though I'm not sure if there's enough support and documentation to make them work on wildly different engines or not.

Before I put the 6.1 Hemi in my Valiant (dream, dream) I would like to try turbocharging the 6. I have seen a pile of less that effective, or nice looking turbo setups on the internet. What I am looking for is someone, or some site which has actually made a proper 300+ RWHP turbo install.
I am not new to turbo installing, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so-to-speak. So if there are people out there who have done this job, please contact me.

Dale

Try poking around slantsix.org. Someone has written an article that includes a shopping list (with pictures) of all the goodies you'll need to install FI using an 82-85 B-O-P 3.8 V-6 as the donor. I haven't pursued it past that point, but feel certain that someone has written about putting a turbo on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-qqeK0B-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

-
Back