Turn a small drill press into a Bore/ Hone. Bolt it to the top of your engine block & do your own machining .

-
Dumb enough to wade out a little deeper into the unknown, Smart enough to apply what I learn in the process...Trolling only because my mind needs some of yo'alls input. And curious how smart you guys are out there...so far, bout a third actually helped me.

Just buy some **** off eBay from the 40s and 50s, probably more accurate than using your drill press n blowing out your elbow n the block spinning round and taking out your kneecap. If it ran it'd make all kinds of piston noise n burn oil.
But hey...who am I to tell you no, right.
So do it. what's a block anyways. Lol
Just get custom pistons for every hole if ya have to, make the dream a reality

:thumbsup: lol

Putting the jokes aside, have you tried contacting places like this in your area? This place is probably 1 1/2 hrs away from you.

Old Sckool Muscle Shop

Yes, I took time to locate your position in the world, and find speed shops within a short drive from you.

Will keep you all posted when I figure out how to bore with my " drill press" it's not impossible, and it will be safe for sure, so this " bag of rocks " must teach the teachers.

Dumb enough to wade out a little deeper into the unknown, Smart enough to apply what I learn in the process...Trolling only because my mind needs some of yo'alls input. And curious how smart you guys are out there...so far, bout a third actually helped me.

See, there's the problem right there. This isn't an unknown. You're not breaking new ground here. You're just ignorant of all the reasons why what you're talking about is a bad idea. The smart people here are the ones that know this will be a waste of an engine block and have said as much. The constructive advice here is that which disagrees with your idea, you just don't know enough about machining or engine work to understand that.

People have done ALL of this stuff before. Look back at the history of engine construction and machining, the things that people used to do to repair engines 100 years ago. And then look at the power outputs of those engines, the lack of reliability, how few miles they lasted, etc. And then look at modern engines and machining tools. People used to do stuff like what you're talking about. They don't do it anymore because it works for **** and they came up with better ways to do it.

Will keep you all posted when I figure out how I can bore with my "drill press" it's not impossible, and it will be safe for sure, So this " bag of rocks" must teach the teachers.

Teach us that using a hone on a drill press to "bore" an engine will result in your cylinder walls being a wavy mess? Nah man, we already know that. That's why nobody does what you're talking about. It's not because we don't know, it's because everyone already knows it isn't going to work. Engines don't wear evenly, the holes don't stay perfectly round or straight. A hone is not meant to straighten the bores, it's mean to put the right finish on the surface AFTER a bore has been completed with a machine that has the ability to deal with the side load of making an out of round, wavy cylinder wall true and round again.

And yeah, the people that actually know this stuff have already said all of that. No, what you're trying to do isn't impossible or unsafe, but it won't give you a good result either.

Wouldn't say it's impossible to make your own bore bar, there's a ton of people on youtube building own lathes, mills, 5 axis cnc mills, 3d printers etc.. not saying you can either though, take pics/video :)

Last edited:
I guess my theme song is gonna be " Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.
See, there's the problem right there. This isn't an unknown. You're not breaking new ground here. You're just ignorant of all the reasons why what you're talking about is a bad idea. The smart people here are the ones that know this will be a waste of an engine block and have said as much. The constructive advice here is that which disagrees with your idea, you just don't know enough about machining or engine work to understand that.

People have done ALL of this stuff before. Look back at the history of engine construction and machining, the things that people used to do to repair engines 100 years ago. And then look at the power outputs of those engines, the lack of reliability, how few miles they lasted, etc. And then look at modern engines and machining tools. People used to do stuff like what you're talking about. They don't do it anymore because it works for **** and they came up with better ways to do it.

Teach us that using a hone on a drill press to "bore" an engine will result in your cylinder walls being a wavy mess? Nah man, we already know that. That's why nobody does what you're talking about. It's not because we don't know, it's because everyone already knows it isn't going to work. Engines don't wear evenly, the holes don't stay perfectly round or straight. A hone is not meant to straighten the bores, it's mean to put the right finish on the surface AFTER a bore has been completed with a machine that has the ability to deal with the side load of making an out of round, wavy cylinder wall true and round again.

And yeah, the people that actually know this stuff have already said all of that. No, what you're trying to do isn't impossible or unsafe, but it won't give you a good result either.

I guess my theme song is gonna be " Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day.
l already found the part I need to complete my *Drill Press Bore/Hone*....but you block heads Arent gonna get any pictures til I assemble my/the TOOL when the parts get the to me in the mail..bout month . Faith is a wonderful thing.

I already found the part I need to complete my *Drill Press Bore/Hone* but you blockheads Arent gonna get any pictures til I get it assembled ...when the parts get to me in the mail...bout a month. I will have accomplished my goal of boring and honeing my own blocks at home and doing it good enough so even a professional machinist wouldn't know, it never went to the "shop" . And I will have it to use countless times over again. Faith is a wonderful thing .

looking forward to it. the Van Norman 944s was always on the list of tools to get. Drill press and lathe are here, maybe the next or a version of yours? I for one am looking forward to what thinking outside the box can do. If you don't try, you fail. If you try, you have two out comes but learn either way.

Two thoughts:

1) I tried using a vertical mill decades ago to bore a B&S single cylinder block. Disaster. Couldn't get the block mounted rigidly enough and the tool chatter was unbelievable.
2) I worked with an excellent mechanic years ago when you could get 0.005 over pistons who would use a hand cylinder hone to open the bores up. But he knew what he was doing as the bores were straight when he was done.

I already found the part I need to complete my *Drill Press Bore/Hone* but you blockheads Arent gonna get any pictures til I get it assembled ...when the parts get to me in the mail...bout a month. I will have accomplished my goal of boring and honeing my own blocks at home and doing it good enough so even a professional machinist wouldn't know, it never went to the "shop" . And I will have it to use countless times over again. Faith is a wonderful thing .
For fucks sakes, send me $2500 and I'll ship you my old van norman 777s boring bar setup. Its complete with all the cutting bits, the tools, the various sets of catspaws, and the tray micrometer. It's in a nice roll around cabinet also.

I found an 8"/205mm Diamond Core drilling machine '3980w' rig on VEVOR for $265.99, I will start with that and add bore head in place of the cement bit . Buy $50 bore head out of Harbor freight and figure out what to do next. Any constructive advice is always needed and gladfully accepted ...how about a good reasonably priced hone bit...test doing a hone before any bores.
If you are dead set on doing this yourself, dont piece together a bunch of stuff and hope it will work. Just buy yourself a used boring bar and be done with it.

There is a reason why honing stones that the average person can buy come on a "flexible" rod so that they can self-center and follow the angle of the bore. Most levels of precision high than that require specialized tools and measuring equipment that can be not only expensive to buy, but can take years to master. I understand what you are going for but I don't think you will be able to achieve the levels of "precision" that you think you can.
That being said I'm all for innovation, I would love for you to prove me wrong but I won't buy anything unless you can prove with before and after measurements.

FYI running a machine shop is NOT cheap and that's why many shops have to charge so much for seemingly "simple" jobs. This mentality of blue collar workers overcharging is what is forcing so many manufacturing jobs to be sent overseas. Once they're all gone then you will have people blaming politicians for driving jobs away... It all begins with OUR behavior.mM

My bore hone will have a solid shank and harder than average stones from Russia that easily cut/grind metal. Kitted for a 3 cuts. Course, medium and the final hone.

For fucks sakes, send me $2500 and I'll ship you my old van norman 777s boring bar setup. Its complete with all the cutting bits, the tools, the various sets of catspaws, and the tray micrometer. It's in a nice roll around cabinet also.
My bore head will only run around $350 included shipping.

looking forward to it. the Van Norman 944s was always on the list of tools to get. Drill press and lathe are here, maybe the next or a version of yours? I for one am looking forward to what thinking outside the box can do. If you don't try, you fail. If you try, you have two out comes but learn either way.
Yes sir, it's all in the stone / rock material supplied with my purchase.

-
Back