Turn a small drill press into a Bore/ Hone. Bolt it to the top of your engine block & do your own machining .

-

Jessearent

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone send me the p/n for Sunnens bore bit they use to do machine work! The 4" one. You need your own garden hose to keep things cool.

Try to find a "small" drill press with over a 6-8" stroke, and with the side load capacity/tolerances to do boring... ****, most little Chinese presses have a hard enough time drilling a hole. Plus that means you're going to have to manually feed it at a somewhat consistent speed (with a dinky 6" handle) to get any kind of useable bore finish. Not to mention trying to "bolt it on" to the deck anywhere near the bore center...
What next, torch out a slab of 1/2" steel to use as a torque plate?

Try to find a "small" drill press with over a 6-8" stroke, and with the side load capacity/tolerances to do boring... ****, most little Chinese presses have a hard enough time drilling a hole. Plus that means you're going to have to manually feed it at a somewhat consistent speed (with a dinky 6" handle) to get any kind of useable bore finish. Not to mention trying to "bolt it on" to the deck anywhere near the bore center...
What next, torch out a slab of 1/2" steel to use as a torque plate?
Modify and measure. The Idea is too important to ignore....machine shop nation wide will get there becoming forchargeig so much and taking to longto complete our needs.

Modify and measure. The Idea is too important to ignore....machine shop nation wide will get there becoming forchargeig so much and taking to longto complete our needs.
Considering a 4" boring bar is going to have a shank at least between 1-2" dia., good luck finding ANY drill press to handle it. Knock yourself out. Just don't ruin anything rare or desirable in the process.
Maybe you can run it on kerosene when you're done.

Modify & measure, add a longer straight toothedgear to get the throw/depth needed , make the base and torque it down add extra supprort to the drill if we need to,.

When I was young and dumb I once asked the shop teacher if we could bore a block with a drill press
In this shop there was a drill press that handled up to a 4 inch bit which they had and was one heavy bit
The shop teacher just shook his head and said no
Now I suppose if it was possible to jerry rig some sort of boring setup that press could have easily handled it

It would be far easier, cheaper, and better and more accurate to look around and find a boring bar. They do exist. Sometimes surprisingly cheap.

I bet if you took a good wide stance and maybe have a 2nd person helping you could use a post hole auger. Different size bits are available and you can go either one or 2 man.

Good grief man. Cutting pistons with a band saw, running engines on kerosene for an octane booster, boring with a drill press? What's next? Port matching with an electric carving knife? Fly cutting with a 6" grinder? Valve job with a garden rock?

Looking forward to the "why is my engine down power", "why did my rings break" and "why does my engine sound like it's mixing cement" posts. For someone that doesn't want to give a machine shop any money, you keep making it more an more expensive to fix all the things that are gonna be screwed up.

Machinists and machine shops exist for a reason. If people could get decent results from doing it all yourself at home with basic tools, that's what everyone would do. I love working on my car myself, and I do just about everything myself too. But machine work I send out, because you just can't do it yourself and get good results unless you happen to own some really expensive machines, tooling, and have experience running them.

Will get my money back after a few jobs.

You think other people will pay you to completely screw up their engines? This was silly when it was your own engine, involving other peoples cars in this is just about criminal.

There is a reason why honing stones that the average person can buy come on a "flexible" rod so that they can self-center and follow the angle of the bore. Most levels of precision high than that require specialized tools and measuring equipment that can be not only expensive to buy, but can take years to master. I understand what you are going for but I don't think you will be able to achieve the levels of "precision" that you think you can.
That being said I'm all for innovation, I would love for you to prove me wrong but I won't buy anything unless you can prove with before and after measurements.

FYI running a machine shop is NOT cheap and that's why many shops have to charge so much for seemingly "simple" jobs. This mentality of blue collar workers overcharging is what is forcing so many manufacturing jobs to be sent overseas. Once they're all gone then you will have people blaming politicians for driving jobs away... It all begins with OUR behavior.

Lmao! I have one in my shed I hope to FACK I never have to use again. Pretty sure the bits come with centering point if starting out with solid block...
One person for .020 over, 2 people for .040 over.

20230501_170238.jpg

-
Back