Turn signal question

-

bisblue

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I ordered a new cam switch from a forum member, right signal and dash light worked but no left. Then I discovered left does work if I fish for it holding the lever very tightly down, I get outside lights but no dash light. Also rear lights but no front with the hazards.
Still likely to be the cam switch?
Thanks in advance Adam

Yes that is probably a switch problem.
After market switches seem to have those problems. You will have to check the circuits with a multi-meter, at the disconnected harness connector. If that proves it, you will have to get into the switch and level the contacts.

Yes that is probably a switch problem.
After market switches seem to have those problems. You will have to check the circuits with a multi-meter, at the disconnected harness connector. If that proves it, you will have to get into the switch and level the contacts.
I got an original switch from a forum member that he tested.

Initial guess would be a bad ground somewhere. Still test at the signal switch, disconnected. Once verified there, move either towards the front or rear, whichever you deem most likely checking power as well as grounds. Until you find the problem. I have seen some crazy things come from a 12V system due to bad ground. Sometimes it isn't the circuit you are working on. Fella I know wrecked his ramcharger and after rebuilding it, it would not start due to lack of spark. After months of troubleshooting, he found the culprit, a broken ground strap at the left headlight harness!

Before you throw the baby out with the bath water, try this:
I had a similar problem 4 years ago. I replaced the Turn Signal Canceling Cam (TSCC) during reassembly and when I was ready for a test drive, I had no brake lights and no turn signals. After hours of playing with a multi meter and looking at wire diagrams, I figured out that brake lights and turn signals all went through the TSCC. On the back of the TSCC, there are 4 wires that are bent down a bit so that they can make contact with 4 little 'bumps' (kind of look like brass rivet heads) that are directly under the TSCC. It turned out that the 4 wires on the back of the TSCC were not making contact with the 'bumps'. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and bent each wire down a teeny bit more, and everything worked fine.

Hey folks,
I ordered a new cam switch from a forum member, right signal and dash light worked but no left. Then I discovered left does work if I fish for it holding the lever very tightly down, I get outside lights but no dash light. Also rear lights but no front with the hazards.
Still likely to be the cam switch?
Thanks in advance Adam

Just what are we working on here? Does it have the hazard switch built in? (70/ later?) I do NOT understand you guys who won't say

I suppose that replacing the cancel cam alone was a particle service back when the vehicle was fairly new, fault being the little latch fingers wouldn't hold the switch on. Inner city drivers should have used this switch a lot during a short time. In most cases today ( used vehicles ) we don't know how many new cancel cams this switch has already been through.
I can't agree to replacing only half of a 40+ year old switch.

I tried replacing the cam only on mine. Big waste of time. I think the only reason you could be successful with replacing the cam would be if the electrical worked good and your problem was one of the canceling fingers broke off as Redfish has said above.

Did you buy a used switch that was tested? If so, I think it was a bad idea to buy a 40-50 year old switch. Testing a part like that on the bench may not be very meaningful. When it is installed in the car it is stressed in different ways and it is kind of flimsy anyway.

I bought a repop from a Year One. It was only about $30 some dollars on sale and has worked great for about 6 months now. I am always a little suspicious of cheap repops, but this one worked good. Classic has what appears to be the same part for over $100. Didn’t buy one, so i don’t know if it is better or they are just getting rich faster.

The good news is that once you have done it once, it is easier the second time.

This is a74 with hazard lights and I got the whole switch assembly to replace it with

-
Back