Turn Signal Switch Replacement

-

Justin Angle

Reaction score
So im replacing the turn signal switch in my 71 duster hoping it will solve my problems but I can't seem to figure how you do the wires since the plug end seem to big to feed through the column...are you guys cutting the wire then feeding them through then crimping them? Here's a pic of what I'm up against. I couldn't find any threads on the actual replacement
Thanks in advance

20200727_135508.jpg

20200727_135431.jpg

you have to turn the plug connector sideways and make it up through the opening in the column. You need to remove that plastic channel on the column as well

Switch remove/replace instructions are here (written for '62-'66 cars, but only minor differences on the later cars, like how to remove the horn button, etc).

I like to tie a strong string to the old one before I pull it out. That way the string goes up the column to be used to install the new one. Just reverse the process. Otherwise trying to fish that new connector down the column can be a chore. As mentioned, remove the cover underneath and turn the connector sideways will help a lot.

OK are you talking about this plastic channel?

Im to the part where Can't seem to get it off.
Thanks for the help so far

20200727_190229.jpg

Slide it up towards the steering wheel just a little bit. It has two little tabs that slide behind those two bars.

Slide it up towards the steering wheel just a little bit. It has two little tabs that slide behind those two bars.
I got it to side back two inches or so but not enough for it to drop out it seems like its bottomed out before it will drop out

Switch remove/replace instructions are here (written for '62-'66 cars, but only minor differences on the later cars, like how to remove the horn button, etc).

So if I understand right you remove the wires from the plug then pull them through the column and reattach them to the plug after the wires are fed through?

So if I understand right you remove the wires from the plug then pull them through the column and reattach them to the plug after the wires are fed through?
That's asking for trouble your year. Pull the main column bracket off if you need to, to get the harness cover off. Then all you need to struggle with is getting the plug through the shift collar.

No you do not have to remove the wires from the plastic terminal. After you slide it back the lower end should tilt down then slide it towards the bottom and that plastic track should come right out.

And yes you need to remove the 4 bolts that holds the column support bracket to the column and remove it after you remove the three nuts and or bolt holding that bracket to the car.

Ok will do. Something else I have going on is I plugged the new one in(laying in the floor) and I have a right blinker working which hasn't worked since I owned the car but I had brake lights earlier when I plugged the new one in but the blinkers weren't working earlier which is strange must be something loose somewhere. All i did was been fiddling with that plastic channel.

With the switch centered both brake lamps should work.
There have been a lot of threads about Chinese made signal switches from ebay not working right. " Pull the cancel cam, tweak the contacts underneath "
Get it to sit flat in the column, tighten the screws down evenly, cross your fingers, try it again. Good luck

So did as sgbarracuda said and got the new blinker switch In and come to find out the car had a blown fuse‍♂️ so thats why brake lights weren't coming on. Brake lights and turn signals both work now besides my left one comes on solid and the right one blinks as it should. I replaced what I, and the kid at oreilly thought was the turn signal relay but it was just the hazard relay. (They told me it was the same thing) Still gotta locate the turn signal relay.

Thanks for the help

-
Back