Turn signals not working

-

dvboth

Reaction score
If I turn my turn signal on the lights will come on but not flash, I thought maybe flasher was bad so I installed a new one and it still does the same thing. Four ways do the same, light up but not flash.

Any ideas?

If I turn my turn signal on the lights will come on but not flash, I thought maybe flasher was bad so I installed a new one and it still does the same thing. Four ways do the same, light up but not flash.

Any ideas?
Are your brake lights out also? Sometimes if the brake light fuse is blown they do this.

Does it do this both directions? And are you sure you replaced the TS flasher and not the hazard flasher? In fact you should be able to swap the two for troubleshooting.

Other than that, tear into the lamps, clean everything up and check socket shell grounding.

Does it do this both directions? And are you sure you replaced the TS flasher and not the hazard flasher? In fact you should be able to swap the two for troubleshooting.

Other than that, tear into the lamps, clean everything up and check socket shell grounding.
Yes both directions, turn signal on all lights light up front rear dash indicator, they just dont flash

Yes both directions, turn signal on all lights light up front rear dash indicator, they just dont flash
Assuming this is a 72ish duster (profile pic.) Then the TS flasher and 4 way flasher are separate circuits until they reach the TS switch. Also they need to flow some current to make them flash, if you have switched away from OE bulbs then they may not use enough current to make them blink. Also the circuits themselves could have to much resistance like corroded sockets as stated by 67Dart273, or the flashers themselves could be bad. If the indicators still work when the flasher is pulled out then you have a shorted TS switch.

Assuming this is a 72ish duster (profile pic.) Then the TS flasher and 4 way flasher are separate circuits until they reach the TS switch. Also they need to flow some current to make them flash, if you have switched away from OE bulbs then they may not use enough current to make them blink. Also the circuits themselves could have to much resistance like corroded sockets as stated by 67Dart273, or the flashers themselves could be bad. If the indicators still work when the flasher is pulled out then you have a shorted TS switch.
So if there are led lights in the rear they are not creating enough current?

So if there are led lights in the rear they are not creating enough current?
Correct, if you are trying to run LED then you need a different flasher. The upgraded flashers usually have an additional ground wire to hook up and I think you have to swap all your turn signals to LED with the custom flasher.

Bad Ground

Take a jumper wire from a good ground, then clamp that on the turn signal socket that only lights.

Flash, Flash . . .

Correct, if you are trying to run LED then you need a different flasher. The upgraded flashers usually have an additional ground wire to hook up and I think you have to swap all your turn signals to LED with the custom flasher.
I'll work on that in the morning, thanks!

Also, something I learned from another post when I went with LED's and used the same flasher from JEGS. You may have to reverse the wires in the flasher plug.
LED's are polarity sensitive. Not sure how that applies to the flasher itself, but it worked.

About 2 years ago, I tried the LED lights all around on my stock 69 and they didnt work.
Then I bought the LED flasher, and they still didnt work.
I think I remember finding out I needed to create a "current draw" somewhere in the circuit to fool the system into operating properly. Apparently the LEDs do not draw enough current. I could have installed a 12V light, hidden anywhere in the circuit.
I decided not to go that route and replaced all bulbs with new 1157 and 1156 12V incandescents.
Back to working, (a little dull like they were in 69), but they operate fine.

I run LED tail lights an regular front turn signal bulbs. That way the front bulbs pull enough current to still operate a standard flasher. I want the brake lights bright, but don’t care about the front turn signal brightness, so this works good for me.

Signals and brake lights wouldn't work right on my '69 DART when I bought it, checked ground, new harnesses. The new 1157 bulbs were the culprit. Happened to have some old bulbs, fixed my problem. Damn.

Any ideas?
I took out the LED's and put regular bulbs back in and now everything works perfect, my turn and emergency flashers were both bad, I assume voltage difference between low voltage LED bulbs and higher voltage flashers maybe didn't agree with each other, none the less I'm moparing happy again!

Thanks for the input guy's!

-
Back