Turning over a slant

-

Palmetto

Reaction score
I have come across some slants and want to determine if they even turn over or are locked up. V8s have the large nut on the front of the crank that you just put a socket on and turn, what about a slant???

If the fan & fan belt is still on, you can push down hard on the belt and use the fan to turn the crank.

If the fan & fan belt is still on, you can push down hard on the belt and use the fan to turn the crank.

Yep, and it will be easier to turn this way if you turn it toward where you are pushing on the belt.

That IS the tricks right there. :D

carry a few bolts and run them through the pulley mounts, then threade a bar between them and turn. I think the bolts are a 1/2 hex head Dont run them in too far or they will ding the oil seal. They are threaded for a Mopar crank bolt, but few had them from the factory.

slant sixes are tapped in the end of the crank, 3/4 unf bolt, thread in a bolt and go :burnout:

Mike

slant sixes are tapped in the end of the crank, 3/4 unf bolt, thread in a bolt and go :burnout:

Mike

Good idea, but I've seen many with a bunch of dirt/oil/crud built up in the threads. I would recommend running a tap through it before trying to put a bolt in there. They can get alot of build-up over the years.

-
Back