Turning over engines in storage

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I have a few good engines sitting around my shop that I would like to keep in shape and spinning freely. I coated the cylinder walls in wd40 and try to remember to turn them over every month or so.
Is this adequate?

I don't know about the WD-40. I was a gun enthusiast and armourer and wd-40 is not good. it contains a varnish. it is ok to keep things moving but for storage, I can see the wd-40 sinking into the metal and hurting the porous metal in the cylinders. I would use a heavy grade oil sae30 or sae40 and a good old fashioned pump oil can and give a good squirt. Again this is just based on experience with firearms.

I have read a couple of posts from members that use diesel oil too, but I am not sure and interested also.

Mercury Marine makes a spray into cylinder storage oil that's a lite oil that foams some so it goes everywhere. Works great, been using if for years in my outboard and garage engines.

Terry

It's called sea foam. You can also use an engine fogger that you use before removal. It's also a good idea to seal every hole and back off the rockers to seal the cylinders and not cause valve spring stress.

I did not know it comes in a spray. It is a wonder product in the liquid for...it puts gumout to shame.. put in you fuel instead of "Stabile" Put some in your oil 50 miles before an oil change and it pulls lots of sludge. I am not a contractor, but I know they rely on it to keep their small engines in top form.

NOT WD-40! In my line of business some of the manufacturers specifically note that wd-40 is not to be used on their product and that it will void warranty.I only use wd-40 as a cleaner.8)

Has anybody ever used automatic transmission fluid? A guy used to work with said just wet a rag with it and wipe everything down.It puts a light coat on the metal and doesn't harm anything. I never tried it just thought I would throw it out there. Did you ever notice how nice the inside of a automatic looks.

Allright it looks like that wd40 is getting wiped out of there. Thanks for the input!!

I have heard of and currently use seafoam in my boat. I didn't know they made a spray either.

I have never heard of using diesel, but I have heard of people using ATF.

What about you engine builders? Don't you have an engine or two under the table? What do you do when you have to store it for a year?

Sea Foam does make a spray called Deep Creep and I use it instead of PB Blaster now. Great stuff but I don't know if this is the same stuff the guys are talking about. I also agree with them about WD-40 as a rust preventative, don't do it. I had rust form in a single day on a fresh cylinder bore when I lived in Chicago. I swear it's as humid there as Florida, only much colder, lol.

On my spare blocks I wipe them down with motor oil and bag them in a heavy duty garbage bag (the contractor type) and have not had any problems with rust, but they are disassembled. The sea foam deep creep is much heavier and sticker than wd or pb and I'd bet it would work great, but I haven't tried it yet. Motor oil on the other hand I know works but it's a bit more labor intensive.

On my old Ramchargers and my back hoe I take either a deck sprayer or old paint spraygun and spray trans fluid everywhere ....under entire chassis,in doors,every nook and cranny,keeps the rust at bay...when ever a vehicle has a small trans leak ,there is never any rust where the oil leaks.

-
Back