turning radius ????

-

boydman

Reaction score
my 66 gt with s/6 and manual steering dosn,t have the same or even close turning radius from left to right , about 35ft to the leftwith 3 full turns and 49ft to the right with pretty close to 3 full turns, thats inside to inside. a little history, the car originally had power steering, yanked that out to put a v-8 to have some fun at the track,( not so much fun when you start breaking stuff ) thats when the turning issue started. years later i went back to the 6, still with manual steering, where i am today with new paint and interior but still can,t enjoy the ride. i did put disc on the front from a duster but don,t see that being the problem cause it still uses the same lower ball joint. help me please:-?

Has it been aligned recently? Maybe the caster is way different from side to side. And are the tie rods adjusted to the same length?

Yes I did have a four wheel alignment on it from a decent shop I got to watch him do it and everything was in spec. I'm going to order a new pitman arm cause mine just don't look right. ( what is the correct turning radius ? Anyone know where to go to find it ? ) my tierods are not even do I get three full turns both ways ? I does seam like I can turn it to the right one full turn before the car starts turning but every thing is tight , they checked it at the shop and I can lay on the ground next to it and move the wheel a little and watch everything move together , the box is tight I've bin turning the adjustment screw a little at a time for a while I even flipped the center link but I made no difference. Realy looking forward to ENJOYING THE RIDE

I'd check to see how many threads are showing on each tie rod adjuster.

Every chry.car I have ever had or drove is that way,as far as that goes every car that I can remember driving was that way,Think of,,,, its dun for making U turns I'm going to say i'm 100% sure of this,IM sure the suspension gurus will be back on to correct me.if im wrong sorry but I don't think I am.hope this is a help and to stop you spending money on it,if it goes down the road with your hands off the wheel or it doesn't skweel going around a turn leave it alone!!!.......hope this helps...Artie

Thanks guys but I'm out of town working for a few weeks I'll give an update when I get back

I've bin looking for pictures to see if my pitman arm is starting in the right spot maybe you only get 2 and 1/2 turns to the left no luck with yet maybe one of you guys can check yours. ?

Got a couple of Google hits just under 39 ft

This is from the 1967 Barracuda brochure. 66 may be different, but probably not too different.

Attachments

• 67_back_cover copy.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 122
Check and see if someone put the lower ball joint to spindle bolts in backwards the head of the bolts go to the inside. Reverse them and they hit the steering stops and prevent full steering.

Brian

update, ordered a new pitman arm for the hell of it and when compared to the old one it was obvious that it was bent. looks like it was bent down to clear the oil pan for the v 8 and when turned all the way right it would bind up on the center link. every
things fine now, nice and tight. thanks for all the input ! now I can (Enjoy The Ride)

-
Back