Twin TorqStorm 440 Build

-
Getting closer-.700" lift just before coil bind, Trend .135" wall 9.9" pushrods-should RPM nicely. J.Rob

thumbnail_20210824_115919.jpg

I can’t wait to see this in the car myself. Been kicking around the idea. Definitely would be a show stopper.

Probably an obvious question but why use 2 smaller superchargers instead of one big one? Is it more of a cosmetic thing for the customer? Also curious what benefit the TorqStorm units have over something like a ProCharger?

Waiting patiently for the big number.

This build has just about reached its conclusion for me. It has been an uphill battle almost all the way as far as the shiny stuff mounted to the front of it is concerned. Fab discharge tube, remove intake and install all the fittings, move damper back .500" , source the correct length accessory belt since Tq-Storm sent one 4" too long, set carb up for blow through, plumb rising rate fuel system..........On and On and On. Long story short it sure looks and sounds promising but BELT SLIP above 4500 RPM sets in and I am in no position to start re-engineering the whole dang drive system. J.Rob

20211222_133614.jpg

20211229_151546.jpg

This build has just about reached its conclusion for me. It has been an uphill battle almost all the way as far as the shiny stuff mounted to the front of it is concerned. Fab discharge tube, remove intake and install all the fittings, move damper back .500" , source the correct length accessory belt since Tq-Storm sent one 4" too long, set carb up for blow through, plumb rising rate fuel system..........On and On and On. Long story short it sure looks and sounds promising but BELT SLIP above 4500 RPM sets in and I am in no position to start re-engineering the whole dang drive system. J.Rob

View attachment 1715850510

View attachment 1715850512
Does it slip at the crank pulley or can you tell?

Does it slip at the crank pulley or can you tell?

Can't tell and honestly I'm about fed up with Torqstorm--their "kit" is not engineered the way they would like to believe and the price kind of reflects that. The belt is glazed and I think it's just too loose with one crappy spring loaded tensioner. How much load do those head units produce? 20hp each? 30hp each? 40 hp each? A single roots can eat 100hp. To think a single 8 rib can drive these things is folly IMO. J.Rob

doesn't look to be much belt wrap at the crank pulley, maybe add another idler driver's side between the crank and s/charger. or swap to a toothed belt and pulleys for zero slip.

doesn't look to be much belt wrap at the crank pulley, maybe add another idler driver's side between the crank and s/charger. or swap to a toothed belt and pulleys for zero slip.

I ain't adding jack at this point. I didn't sell, design, suggest or promote this kit. Also this is my second horrible experience with this product. J.Rob

Seems like every single centrifugal supercharger build I see has the same damn belt slip problems. I don’t blame you for being done with it.

Seems like every single centrifugal supercharger build I see has the same damn belt slip problems. I don’t blame you for being done with it.
i don't get why they don't come with a toothed belt? seems crazy after all these years of 'known' belt slippage with the multi rib ones.
neil.

i don't get why they don't come with a toothed belt? seems crazy after all these years of 'known' belt slippage with the multi rib ones.
neil.
I agree. But I think most of these kits are considered “entry level” and are purposed as such. They don’t expect people to use them in more than street car type stuff at low to mid boost levels, 5-10 psi. Most of the issues I’ve experienced are about the 10-12psi and 4800rpm range when they just can’t maintain a tight belt any longer. I had a vortec v1 s trim on a 347 sbf in a mustang and it lasted a month before I got tired of chasing belt issues. Centrifugal out…….turbos in.

I agree. But I think most of these kits are considered “entry level” and are purposed as such. They don’t expect people to use them in more than street car type stuff at low to mid boost levels, 5-10 psi. Most of the issues I’ve experienced are about the 10-12psi and 4800rpm range when they just can’t maintain a tight belt any longer. I had a vortec v1 s trim on a 347 sbf in a mustang and it lasted a month before I got tired of chasing belt issues. Centrifugal out…….turbos in.
i guess so but what difference cost wise would it be at the manufacturing stage to build the kits with a toothed belt instead of multi rib? if it was another $200 it'd be worth it surely.
neil.

After looking at Ramms pics of the TS set up a bit closer, it’s a two belt system anyway.

Blowers get their own belt.

Doesn’t appear there is nearly enough contact area around the lower pulley IMO.

neil.

I noticed browsing around on the supercharger store website, the higher-HP Procharger kits they sell do come with a toothed belt instead of a normal ribbed one.

I noticed browsing around on the supercharger store website, the higher-HP Procharger kits they sell do come with a toothed belt instead of a normal ribbed one.
It's also an option on their other kits.

i guess so but what difference cost wise would it be at the manufacturing stage to build the kits with a toothed belt instead of multi rib? if it was another $200 it'd be worth it surely.
neil.

a toothed belt would also require a blow off valve i would think if it doesn't already have one . But I agree just a little effort by the company this problem could be fixed .

-
Back