**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
Member "64physhy" was kind enough to drop my RHS Heads off at IMM Engines Yesterday along with my Block and Rods. I bought the Heads from Brian for my other stroker motor and never put them to use. This one is getting a SOLID ROLLER in it so I am getting the Heads upgraded for its intended use. The machine work for this TT Stroker Motor will be on it's way this week! Hopefully Completed in the next 3 to 4 weeks Dyno'd and DONE!

Dude your just flying on this build! And the car will literally fly when it's done,lol!!

Now that you've just about plumbed it all did you ever consider mounting the turbo's underneath and just after the collectors? Prolly not a ton of room there I know..

Louis I see your using Brian at Indio Motor Machine (IMM) for your engine work. He's a stand up guy and puts out quality products thus earning my recommendation if any one is looking for help with their motor. He rebuilt the Edelbrock heads for my Duster project a couple years ago and also built a 408 nitrous motor for my best friends Duster. Went 10.06 yesterday without the spray (working out suspension changes before we get to "play with the spray"). 9s are oh so close!

Louis I see your using Brian at Indio Motor Machine (IMM) for your engine work. He's a stand up guy and puts out quality products thus earning my recommendation if any one is looking for help with their motor. He rebuilt the Edelbrock heads for my Duster project a couple years ago and also built a 408 nitrous motor for my best friends Duster. Went 10.06 yesterday without the spray (working out suspension changes before we get to "play with the spray"). 9s are oh so close!

I recommend Brian to everyone I know. He is a NO BULL type of guy and a straight shooter. I have bought multiple sets of heads, parts, and have had Machine work done for my projects and friends. He has Dyno'd my 410 Stroker also that is in my 70 4spd Dart. Always top notch work and fair prices to boot!!

Your friends Duster Hauls azzzzzz! Should be easily in the 9's with some SMACK!

Yeah Brian knows his shitzzz with a Mopar motor. He is really starting to get the exposure with his recent motor builds in the Mopar Mags. Hope success doesn't ruin him. Glad I got the chance to get some work (and a T shirt!) from him back when he was "unkown" We are itching to hit the nitrous but put caltracs in it last year and went with a Bob's Perf. Fab coil over kit in the front end this spring. Lots of tuning left to be done before the WARP DRIVE is engaged.

Sure you mentioned it already.....but please tell me that you are not going to be another one of the turbo street cars with out air filters? I always laugh when I see "street" cars with no air filters, or for that matter running race gas on the street. Hardly call a car that you can only go 30-40 miles from home without turning around and getting home before you run out of fuel a street car. I do not know where anybody else lives, but the 3 places I have lived in do not pump race gas at the local gas station....

Sure you mentioned it already.....but please tell me that you are not going to be another one of the turbo street cars with out air filters? I always laugh when I see "street" cars with no air filters, or for that matter running race gas on the street. Hardly call a car that you can only go 30-40 miles from home without turning around and getting home before you run out of fuel a street car. I do not know where anybody else lives, but the 3 places I have lived in do not pump race gas at the local gas station....

I actually ordered 2 different filters last week. I like to keep them clean so I can just swap them out. I would never run without a filter. If you suck something into the intake your turbo's could be toast!

This build will be a PUMP GAS engine with 9:1 Compression, Air to Water Coolers, Closed Loop Ice Box in the trunk and a Multiple Nozzle AIS Stage 2 Meth Injection System.

I will also be converting my stock gas tank into a Fuel Cell with a Sump. I am just not there yet is all.

vary nice work, is this jarods old 67 gt? i wanted to buy that car, but u beat me to the punch(hahaha) looks amazing! cheers

I am with you Doug, however the fellow who got me started in all this turbo stuff ran a TT Barracuda that ran high 9s and it was his daily driver for 3 years. Granted I think his daily commute was 8 or 9 miles one way but he never had a filter on it. He did put some screen (as in a house window screen) hose clamped on the inlet. He never did have one problem with it. I too ran my dart with no filters with no problems although my car only did 7-11 runs as a street car. If you can fit one run it. I am not sure if I will be able to fit one on my car so I may be one of "those" guys. One thing to remember is that the turbo is moving so much air when it is making boost that its easy to choke it with a filter. Just some food for thought. Another thought while I am posting is the exhaust. Now I have been told and have always run a exhaust pipe diameter that is 1.5 times the outlet size of the turbo. Some say its necessary and it can limit boost and make the turbo work harder if you run too restrictive of an exhaust. I have never run small exhaust so I cant endorse that comment, but I thought I would mention it in case you have trouble with late spool times and possibly not making your target boost number. That is all, now back to Maddart making me look bad by how fast he is doing this!!!

PS These turbo cars are very efficient and get ridiculously good fuel mileage. I know that 20mpg is easily attained if you can keep your foot out of it. My car has a 20 gallon fuel cell so some quickmath gives me a 400 mile range. I think that qualifies as a street car. Another thing I used to do is limit my boost to 5 pounds on the street and run 91 octane in it and it ran perfect and still would run mid tens like that!! I think both you and Louis will be laughing at the end of your builds when you see how mellow and real world these cars can be. Just look at the Grand National guys!

i can say for the grand national guys, my buddy has one... car is very very quick.. bigger turbo, fuel upgrade etc etc. But can turn the key idles and drives like a normal car and decent mileage when just driving normal. put it to the floor and let the boost push you in the seat.

i only met this kid once at his job.. hung out.. i went to see them the next night and threw me the keys to the grand national and said have fun. looks like a show car

I think I've actually caught myself drooling, reading this. I can't believe I might be able to offer an idea for you with regards to the steering column. I have a 1984 Diplomat unit in my '74 Duster and my '68 Dart will be getting the same.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4779/1901/24445950066_large.jpg
Page 8 of my build shows basic details. I shortened the Dippy coupler a little to make things work, but it looks pretty much factory. My car is power steering FYI

Another thought while I am posting is the exhaust. Now I have been told and have always run a exhaust pipe diameter that is [U said:
1.5 times the outlet size of the turbo. [/U]Some say its necessary and it can limit boost and make the turbo work harder if you run too restrictive of an exhaust. I have never run small exhaust so I cant endorse that comment, but I thought I would mention it in case you have trouble with late spool times and possibly not making your target boost number.

Chris can you explain what you mean. Are you talking about the Inlet size off the header from the Head? Or the actual Exhaust out of the turbo. Mine is 3.25" exhaust out of the turbo. I am running a 3.5" Exhaust all the way out on both turbo's. If I am understanding this correctly than than by those calculations I would need Dual 5.25" Exhaust and there is absolutely no way those would fit where I am running it out now.............Dang that is HUGE!!

From the bottom of the car I could step it up to 5" if need be!

Chris can you explain what you mean. Are you talking about the Inlet size off the header from the Head? Or the actual Exhaust out of the turbo. Mine is 3.25" exhaust out of the turbo. I am running a 3.5" Exhaust all the way out on both turbo's. If I am understanding this correctly than than by those calculations I would need Dual 5.25" Exhaust and there is absolutely no way those would fit where I am running it out now.............Dang that is HUGE!!

From the bottom of the car I could step it up to 5" if need be!

Sorry Louis, sometimes I get to rambling. I am talking about the actual orifice (thats right I said orifice!) opening out of the exhaust housing of the turbo that makes up the exhaust system. Like my T60s are 2 3/4 and I am using 4 inch tubing. And actually its a little small and should be 4 1/8. Anyways its just theory and I am interested in seeing how it acts on your car. You obviously are running into room problems so it is what it is. If you look at a factory diesel truck it even follows this rule. I thought I would just throw it out there for you to ponder.

Sorry Louis, sometimes I get to rambling. I am talking about the actual orifice (thats right I said orifice!) opening out of the exhaust housing of the turbo that makes up the exhaust system. Like my T60s are 2 3/4 and I am using 4 inch tubing. And actually its a little small and should be 4 1/8. Anyways its just theory and I am interested in seeing how it acts on your car. You obviously are running into room problems so it is what it is. If you look at a factory diesel truck it even follows this rule. I thought I would just throw it out there for you to ponder.

Yes I am running into problems that is why I am using the 3.5" Down Pipe's.
I understand about the diesel trucks I have had a few and have a Diesel Excursion right now.

I will be stepping it up then for sure and will need to resource some parts to try and make it a 5" exhaust with and X Pipe to mufflers dumped at the axle..................we will see.

I have a few other ideas about running the exhaust just behind the Front Tires on both sides without even using any mufflers at all. So it would be a very short route to the atmosphere like that! Less back pressure for sure.

Yes I am running into problems that is why I am using the 3.5" Down Pipe's.
I understand about the diesel trucks I have had a few and have a Diesel Excursion right now.

I will be stepping it up then for sure and will need to resource some parts to try and make it a 5" exhaust with and X Pipe to mufflers dumped at the axle..................we will see.

I have a few other ideas about running the exhaust just behind the Front Tires on both sides without even using any mufflers at all. So it would be a very short route to the atmosphere like that! Less back pressure for sure.

Maybe you can run your current set up for the street and have cut outs for the track.

I am with you Doug, however the fellow who got me started in all this turbo stuff ran a TT Barracuda that ran high 9s and it was his daily driver for 3 years. Granted I think his daily commute was 8 or 9 miles one way but he never had a filter on it. He did put some screen (as in a house window screen) hose clamped on the inlet. He never did have one problem with it. I too ran my dart with no filters with no problems although my car only did 7-11 runs as a street car. If you can fit one run it. I am not sure if I will be able to fit one on my car so I may be one of "those" guys. One thing to remember is that the turbo is moving so much air when it is making boost that its easy to choke it with a filter. Just some food for thought. Another thought while I am posting is the exhaust. Now I have been told and have always run a exhaust pipe diameter that is 1.5 times the outlet size of the turbo. Some say its necessary and it can limit boost and make the turbo work harder if you run too restrictive of an exhaust. I have never run small exhaust so I cant endorse that comment, but I thought I would mention it in case you have trouble with late spool times and possibly not making your target boost number. That is all, now back to Maddart making me look bad by how fast he is doing this!!!

PS These turbo cars are very efficient and get ridiculously good fuel mileage. I know that 20mpg is easily attained if you can keep your foot out of it. My car has a 20 gallon fuel cell so some quickmath gives me a 400 mile range. I think that qualifies as a street car. Another thing I used to do is limit my boost to 5 pounds on the street and run 91 octane in it and it ran perfect and still would run mid tens like that!! I think both you and Louis will be laughing at the end of your builds when you see how mellow and real world these cars can be. Just look at the Grand National guys!
I know there are plenty of people that "drive" there street cars with no filtration. But I hardly call a 5 mile drive going anywhere. 5 miles will not even get me to the nearest major (if you want to call it that) intersection, my trips start with 1.6 miles of a silty, very dusty dirt road. I have always laughed when people tell me there car is street driven and it has 14:1 compression, a spool with 5.17 gears, dual dominators and a VW Sirocco radiator. People throw "street driven" around way to much. Cruising to the local burger joint 3 miles away, while it is a public street, is hardly a drive. A 400 mile range, in itself at least to me, does not qualify it as a street car. At least not in my circumstances. Last time I washed my truck I crept up the dirt road, keeping my speed at 2-3 mph on my gps, and by the time I got to the pavement I had a layer of silt on my truck. There is no way in hell I would drive a car up here without an air filter....

Maybe you can run your current set up for the street and have cut outs for the track.

I have seen flattened 5" on a couple of Prostreet cars. Something like the side pipes on a Nascar that come out the side. Should flow the same in my opinion. Just more of an oval shape. Just my 2 cents

We are in a smelter town here. Tons of truck traffic and crap on the roads. No way would I drive anything without an air filter around here!

Yes it's Jared's old car! I bought it with the 6 that had a hole in the block as big as a cantelope!

hahaha, awesome work< i would love to see it sometime when your finished. if you look closely in my profile pic thats your dart behind my van, outside justin's house in vista.

I know there are plenty of people that "drive" there street cars with no filtration. But I hardly call a 5 mile drive going anywhere. 5 miles will not even get me to the nearest major (if you want to call it that) intersection, my trips start with 1.6 miles of a silty, very dusty dirt road. I have always laughed when people tell me there car is street driven and it has 14:1 compression, a spool with 5.17 gears, dual dominators and a VW Sirocco radiator. People throw "street driven" around way to much. Cruising to the local burger joint 3 miles away, while it is a public street, is hardly a drive. A 400 mile range, in itself at least to me, does not qualify it as a street car. At least not in my circumstances. Last time I washed my truck I crept up the dirt road, keeping my speed at 2-3 mph on my gps, and by the time I got to the pavement I had a layer of silt on my truck. There is no way in hell I would drive a car up here without an air filter....

I hear ya Doug. I wouldn't drive down a dirt road without a filter either. I live in a pavement empire where we dont even know what a dirt road is. People have different definitions of a street car, mine just happens to be very lenient. I happen to love driving very radical street cars. My peeves are a car that wont start and over heaters. Thats about my criteria! Oh well thats what makes the world go round.

That tubing is pretty killer, but it is really expensive, especially when you start buying bends. We did put a short sytem on a twin turbo vega and had restriction issues. I think its because its not available in 5 or 6 inch, which would probably be what you would need.

-
Back