Two men’s opinions

-
Well, Well,
my 367 has been on a steady diet of 87E10 since 1999.
In fall, just before shut-down, I splash some stabilizer into the tank, and run it thru..
Every spring I fill the primary bowl with last years gas that I kept under the hood in a sealed container with 3% 2-cycle oil and stabilizer. And every spring it fires right up. And every spring I drive away with zero problems. There have been a lot of springs since 1999
My 11/1- 367 fires right up on sparkplugs that were new in 1999.
It NEVER had a gas-boiling issue, nor vapor lock, ever.
And no detonation at full timing, even tho the Eddy-headed monster has cranked up to 192psi.
and on one driving test, made 32mpgs on an all-day trip; allbeit with a final drive of 1.97. On the 223/230/110 cam that made 32mpg, it went 106 in the quarter on 245/60-14 street tires. On the current cam, 230/237/110 she has gone 93 in the Eighth, on that same gas, that everybody likes to hate..
I have never touched the fuel system (Not stainless) since it was installed in about 2002.

I just don't know why you non-gasohol guys are so rigidly against it.
Unless maybe you're running Dcrs in the basement... yeah I bet that's it,lol;
With that 223 cam, I ran a Dcr of 9.23@900ft@ 192psi, with a P/V of 169; lordy that engine had torque!
but you know, if yur still running 135psi, well, what can be said.......

I've been preaching alloy heads and high-pressure since 2014, but
some guys here say it doesn't matter, and I am 100% convinced that those guys are way smarter than me, no bs. But to me, alloy heads just gave me so many more options, and I would run even more ethanol, if it was available at the pumps. I am not afraid of the learning curve.
The funny thing is, I was running 11.3, when the local engine builder said 9.5 was all he would build it to, and he didn't care what cam I put in it. He had never heard of DCR. And that guy at that time, built most of the stockcar engines around here, in addition to almost all the Hi-Po stuff. So I said fine, here's my block, this is what I want, and I'll screw it together myself, leaving you off the hook if it doesn't work. Ok, he said, and I never looked back..

I also don't understand the big deal of oxygenated fuel having less specific BTUs in it. So what; getting enough fuel into an engine has never been a problem. Getting the air in has always been the problem, and oxygenated fuel, has it's own oxygen, bonded right to it! How cool is that!. It ain't much but, every lil bit helps. So maybe you have to upjet for WOT, how big a deal is that..... I still run 72/80s with a PV of 10 or 12 I forget which is in it today, 10 I think.
Anyway, I guess this is a pretty hot topic,
I'd totally go for more ethanol.....

Well, Well,
my 367 has been on a steady diet of 87E10 since 1999.
In fall, just before shut-down, I splash some stabilizer into the tank, and run it thru..
Every spring I fill the primary bowl with last years gas that I kept under the hood in a sealed container with 3% 2-cycle oil and stabilizer. And every spring it fires right up. And every spring I drive away with zero problems. There have been a lot of springs since 1999
My 11/1- 367 fires right up on sparkplugs that were new in 1999.
It NEVER had a gas-boiling issue, nor vapor lock, ever.
And no detonation at full timing, even tho the Eddy-headed monster has cranked up to 192psi.
and on one driving test, made 32mpgs on an all-day trip; allbeit with a final drive of 1.97. On the 223/230/110 cam that made 32mpg, it went 106 in the quarter on 245/60-14 street tires. On the current cam, 230/237/110 she has gone 93 in the Eighth, on that same gas, that everybody likes to hate..
I have never touched the fuel system (Not stainless) since it was installed in about 2002.

I just don't know why you non-gasohol guys are so rigidly against it.
Unless maybe you're running Dcrs in the basement... yeah I bet that's it,lol;
With that 223 cam, I ran a Dcr of 9.23@900ft@ 192psi, with a P/V of 169; lordy that engine had torque!
but you know, if yur still running 135psi, well, what can be said.......

I've been preaching alloy heads and high-pressure since 2014, but
some guys here say it doesn't matter, and I am 100% convinced that those guys are way smarter than me, no bs. But to me, alloy heads just gave me so many more options, and I would run even more ethanol, if it was available at the pumps. I am not afraid of the learning curve.
The funny thing is, I was running 11.3, when the local engine builder said 9.5 was all he would build it to, and he didn't care what cam I put in it. He had never heard of DCR. And that guy at that time, built most of the stockcar engines around here, in addition to almost all the Hi-Po stuff. So I said fine, here's my block, this is what I want, and I'll screw it together myself, leaving you off the hook if it doesn't work. Ok, he said, and I never looked back..

I also don't understand the big deal of oxygenated fuel having less specific BTUs in it. So what; getting enough fuel into an engine has never been a problem. Getting the air in has always been the problem, and oxygenated fuel, has it's own oxygen, bonded right to it! How cool is that!. It ain't much but, every lil bit helps. So maybe you have to upjet for WOT, how big a deal is that..... I still run 72/80s with a PV of 10 or 12 I forget which is in it today, 10 I think.
Anyway, I guess this is a pretty hot topic,
I'd totally go for more ethanol.....
As my post above describes. I haven't seen any problems with alcohol blends. My choice for non oxy is more on perception. I run E-85 in higher compression builds. The high alcohol content certainly solves any pre-detonation issues. Just need about 30% more. But being 300%+ less expensive than race gas? It's a win.

I have personally seen one fuel system failure do to ethanol eating out the rubber line.

This was an off road truck and sat for long periods at a time. I could not pick up fuel so I opend the fuel cell and inside the guy had used a section of rubber fuel line as his "dip tube". The out side of the hose was completely gone, all of it was down in the bottom of the cell in little chunks.
The section of rubber line above the average fuel level was fine.

It was so impressive I took it next door and showed it to the guys in the shop next to me.

Rubber fuel line [ n/seats, acc pumps in carbs ] need to be E resistant.
I left some E10 in a tin overnight in my garage. Next morning, water globules in the bottom of the tin. Repeated the experiment, water again. Alcohol is hygroscopic. So anything that water corrodes [ carb bodies? ] will likely corrode, block passages.

-
Back