Two men’s opinions

-
Photosynthesis will always beat solar panels for efficiency. Solar electrolysis isn't as green as one would think. The waste from purifying sea water is atrocious. Just ask Australia.

My bet is on gmo algea making biofuel in the long term.
I was makin' a joke :D

$3.35 her a gallon opposed to $5.50+ (it went down recently, was at $5.80) for unleaded with 10% ethanol anyway. 30% less mileage, 40% cheaper. Do the math. Oh, its also 101 octane... and hard starts? Not with EFI. Sucks for lawn mowers though and anything that doesnt have a sealed fuel system, ie carb motors. I had a GT-R next to me at the E85 station. Guy loves its 101 octane and price, he just increases his injector duty cycle 30% as a tuner.

Kooskia rhubarb shine is good for a tenth. lol

Did you ever wonder how GM became the behemoth it is? How GM controlled the market, paid wages and benefits no other company could touch?

I can tell you it was gasoline and one product in gasoline. The history is incredible. I never knew Ford was an advocate for ethanol based fuels. I’m not a fan of 100% alcohol fuels of any kind but blends are a different discussion.

I could post the link to some history on this but it seems some didn’t even read the short article I posted.

over 2/3 of the planet is water, and water never goes away. time to burn steam or hydrogen :)
cracking hydrogen from anything costs more than it delivers in power. And then you got the distribution system. I think CNG is way underrated as a motor fuel. ITs got its faults but its cheap, plentiful, has a pretty good infrastructure already and is very easy to retrofit to a modern EFI motor. All the EFI motor needs is a CNG tank and regulator and a flash to the PCM fuel map. It can even use the same injectors.

$3.35 her a gallon opposed to $5.50+ (it went down recently, was at $5.80) for unleaded with 10% ethanol anyway. 30% less mileage, 40% cheaper. Do the math. Oh, its also 101 octane... and hard starts? Not with EFI. Sucks for lawn mowers though and anything that doesnt have a sealed fuel system, ie carb motors. I had a GT-R next to me at the E85 station. Guy loves its 101 octane and price, he just increases his injector duty cycle 30% as a tuner.

I don’t know where the hard starts come from.

Oh, no, it definitely makes sense for the majority of cars. It also doesn't make sense to put cast aluminum into a fuel system anymore, but making (stainless) steel carburetors would be tougher than it seems.

I converted my dart to efi with a stainless tank for exactly this reason. I like driving more than I like cleaning parts. But man, all my small engines take a beating and it's not so cheap to make them efi.

Right. That’s the additives in the fuel, not the ethanol.
If you are going to store a car for 1 year, do you:
  • use Sta-bil for ethanol or Lucas fuel stabilizer (or some brand of such)??
  • Drain the gas or run out the system??
  • or do nothing, 1 year isn't long enough to cause significant damage.

I don’t know where the hard starts come from.

Lowered boiling point of ethanol makes vapor lock or evaporation worse. Aromatics also make it worse but not quite as bad.

It's not necessarily hard starts, but longer cranking to refill the carb. Another reason I went to efi.

Though the electric pump on my carbed motor also fixes this.

I just spent 15 minutes cleaning the bowl of my carb to mow the lawn. The dreaded white jello in the Tecumseh's bowl. I thought I had ran the motor out of gas as it died when I was putting it away (2 weeks ago!!!) and I checked the tank and it was bone dry. It has some black flecks in it too, I think the fuel is attacking the little fuel line as someone warned me of.

We were mixing xylene with leaded fuel in the late 70's, that stuff would eat rubber parts in the fuel system if we used too much. Fuel pump diaphragms were the first to go.

We were mixing xylene with leaded fuel in the late 70's, that stuff would eat rubber parts in the fuel system if we used too much. Fuel pump diaphragms were the first to go.
I'm guilty, but only a few times

Is there any research on the chemical breakdown of the powdery residue ?

Thats illegal in Ca.

:)

How about attacking demand? You know? The other half of the economic puzzle? Screw Opec, Russia, BP, ExxonMobil. And the others that only care of profits?

Well I guess that just "Crazy"

Did you ever wonder how GM became the behemoth it is? How GM controlled the market, paid wages and benefits no other company could touch?

I can tell you it was gasoline and one product in gasoline. The history is incredible. I never knew Ford was an advocate for ethanol based fuels. I’m not a fan of 100% alcohol fuels of any kind but blends are a different discussion.

I could post the link to some history on this but it seems some didn’t even read the short article I posted.

I read it, and it left me with more questions than answers, but it makes claims with certainty that I want to believe - they just stopped short of giving that info. I feel cheated, LOL.

I'd also love to know why GM was so dominating and always a darling in the eyes of the government. Having a monopoly on a strategic asset would make sense. What was it?

Photosynthesis will always beat solar panels for efficiency. Solar electrolysis isn't as green as one would think. The waste from purifying sea water is atrocious. Just ask Australia.

My bet is on gmo algea making biofuel in the long term.
Actually it doesn't. Photosynthesis only works at a frequency of visible light. The next generation solar can create energy on a much broader light frequency than our or even nature consumes and/or recognize. Again, it's too expensive yet to bring to market. But that's today.

Stop being afraid of tomorrow. I'm excited to see new technologies and discoveries. We are living in a technology Renaissance.

But cannot give in too fear!

Aromatics are usually in metal cans. Alcohol and mineral spirits in plastic. Gives an idea of what the various chemicals can do to other substances ;)

But the BTEX additives are often much like gasoline at a molecular level. Mostly carbon and hydrogen. This makes them good solvents, but not necessarily corrosion causing agents since they're not oxidizing. They can kill rubber and polymers, but based on what I can find they shouldn't hurt metals or crystalline materials for the most part. I'm curious if they can, and where I can find more info on that. I'm no chemist, and try not delve too deeply into it because chemists are universally weird, haha.

Actually it doesn't. Photosynthesis only works at a frequency of visible light. The next generation solar can create energy on a much broader light frequency than our or even nature consumes and/or recognize. Again, it's too expensive yet to bring to market. But that's today.

Stop being afraid of tomorrow. I'm excited to see new technologies and discoveries. We are living in a technology Renaissance.

But cannot give in too fear!

Ive never lived in fear. But those who seem to think my weedeater will end the earth sure seem to be quaking in their boots.

Photosynthesis takes place at all kinds of wavelengths depending on the organism, and many make compounds using invisible wavelengths. If you don't understand the science, leave it to the adults.

None of the super expensive "wonder panels" have ever made it to market yet either. They all require unobtanium that seems to always be two weeks away. They also require constant maintenance due to dust and damage which reduces the lux the sensors see.

-
Back