two projects, two styles. which one to do?

which project to build?

• Rambler Gasser!

Votes: 108 76.6%
  • Junkyard RX7!

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • crush em both and call it modern art

Votes: 19 13.5%

• Total voters
-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
well guys, tax returns are coming and I might be looking at swooping up a project car. Mostly just a rust-free shell to swap a Mopar motor and transmission into. both will get different wheels and aesthetic touches.

Here's the two competing choices in the bracket of $600. I'll list off the pros and cons of each

A. A 1964 Rambler American 330 2dr

00303_2Oy8cUvsHVZ_600x450.jpg

Plan: Gasser style with moved up rear axle and D100 straigh axle up front. Some kind of old mopar powerplant like a polysphere, Hemi, or a B engine

Pros:

• know where to find D100 straight axle cheap
  • looks like mini '64 Dodge 330
  • solid car
  • no need for motor mounts with an engine plate
  • not much parts hunting, mostly fabrication
  • cool and old school
  • cruise-in friendly
  • can see strip time
Cons:

• engine will be very heavy on budget
  • rear end will need upgrade
  • not a lot of parts on market for this car
  • interior is shot
  • not much of a daily driver
  • steers like a pile o ****

B. 1979 Mazda RX-7

00o0o_7FXtNY3cKPY_600x450.jpg

Plan: swap in second gen front subframe for rack and pinion, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, better brakes, and engine mount kit. junkyard 360 magnum swap with A833OD aluminum transmission. essentially, just a quick street car

Pros:

• engine can be had with almost all parts minus intake and headers for $300
  • lightweight
  • coil spring rear suspension
  • plenty of aftermarket for the car
  • good interior
  • will handle pretty decently
  • can be driven often
  • solid car
Cons:

• front subframe will need to be swapped
  • lots of parts hunting, not much fab work
  • looks kinda funky and will take some money to fix that lol
  • rear end will need to be upgraded
  • not very cruise-in friendly
  • not much of a strip car
  • hydraulic 4 speed
  • total hoonmobile

Although I DO like the GSL-SE versions of those 1st gen RX-7's (factory 13b)......I've looked at the quality of construction on early Mazdas (I'm talking flimsy sheetmetal) and I can only conclude that they're nearly a throw-away car with a kinda cool body.

I'd do up that Rambler so automatically over the RX, my neurons can't go from my brain to my jaw muscles to say "**** yeah" fast enough. Maybe you could even weave a little "SCrambler" vibe into the build. You know what these are, right?

SC-Rambler1.jpg

I vote Rambler.As said drop in a Magnum 360 or 318 with a good 904/8 3/4 combo.No need to Gasser it.I like the fact that those front seats fold down to a flat bed.LOL\\:D/

The Rambler looks pretty cool as is. Kind of be a shame to hack it up. Hack up the Mazda would be my vote. The Ramble could be cool and probably cheap to just get it running and driving without all the gasser treatment.

Rambler and no gasser. Swap small block in and drive it.
I just finished fixing '65 American 2d, all stock 196cid 6 cyl. Needed brakes and carb rebuild, not driven since ´82. Nice little car.

Nice projects, but I'd have to say go for the Rambler and leave the body as stock as possible, simply because it's a cool car just the way it is. Another reason to go for the Rambler is because it's an American car and we already have too many Japanese products on our roads today.
Paul

Rambler.Car Craft's editor did one a few years back.Done in a 60's vibe.

Attachments

• ccrp-0909-01-z+1967-rambler-project+side-view-1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 803
The all American Rambler with out thinking twice :coffee2:

I'd do the Rambler.360 Magnum motor.Very cool little cars.

Attachments

• IMG_2135%20(1024x683).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 761
Man, those rotary engines can wind up. I'd love to do one some day. The ultimate sleeper.

I hear you! Back in the 80's, a friend of mine wanted me drive his RX-4 and get a couple races going on the street to see how fast it was (I think he was scared to drive it). I never drove a rotary, so I was pretty excited and I just revved it out and shifted when I felt like it wasn't pulling any more. Then I looked down and I was 10,000 RPM. LOL

if you pass on the rambler let me know. i would LOVE to have that car! would look so mean with a mini tub and sitting nice and low with a magnum motor stuffed in it.

put a magnum in the rambler
looks like that maybe the route to go

Pick'em both up...mazda driver.
not in the budget sadly

Although I DO like the GSL-SE versions of those 1st gen RX-7's (factory 13b)......I've looked at the quality of construction on early Mazdas (I'm talking flimsy sheetmetal) and I can only conclude that they're nearly a throw-away car with a kinda cool body.

I'd do up that Rambler so automatically over the RX, my neurons can't go from my brain to my jaw muscles to say "**** yeah" fast enough. Maybe you could even weave a little "SCrambler" vibe into the build. You know what these are, right?
That's like asking if I have ever head of a Machine. AMC had some badass offerings in the muscle department

I vote Rambler.As said drop in a Magnum 360 or 318 with a good 904/8 3/4 combo.No need to Gasser it.I like the fact that those front seats fold down to a flat bed.LOL\\:D/
I did not know that. If I do go for it, its definitely gonna be a 4 speed. been dying for a standard shift

Rambler by far, very cool little cars. But don't hack it up, it's pretty damn clean.

Yeah, the more I begin to look into these cars, the more I realize there isn't really any around. I wont be able to help myself when it comes to throwing a V8 in though

The Rambler looks pretty cool as is. Kind of be a shame to hack it up. Hack up the Mazda would be my vote. The Ramble could be cool and probably cheap to just get it running and driving without all the gasser treatment.
yeah, it seems like wedging a v8 in will be enough trouble. Looks like a tight squeeze
1964-Rambelr-wagon-350-engine.jpg

Rambler and no gasser. Swap small block in and drive it.
I just finished fixing '65 American 2d, all stock 196cid 6 cyl. Needed brakes and carb rebuild, not driven since ´82. Nice little car.

Nice projects, but I'd have to say go for the Rambler and leave the body as stock as possible, simply because it's a cool car just the way it is. Another reason to go for the Rambler is because it's an American car and we already have too many Japanese products on our roads today.
Paul
If I leave the body stock, I'd be tempted to go with an old school Trans Am car look.

Rambler.Car Craft's editor did one a few years back.Done in a 60's vibe.
Now that is pretty cool. I'm gonna have to look into that project and see what powerplant they used

The all American Rambler with out thinking twice :coffee2:
:cheers:

Rambler!!! Ultimate little sleeper and cool factor!

Rambler sleeper.
I think if I magnum swap it with a 4 speed, I'll keep the steelies and dishes til I fry the tires off of them, I think the car no matter what you do to it looks like some strange slow car that your grandma may have driven at one point in her youth til it blew up

I'd do the Rambler.360 Magnum motor.Very cool little cars.
yeah, they really have a cool look about em. honestly, (brace for hatemail) I like the looks of it better than any of the early A's

Rambler....But good luck putting in a Poly,Hemi,or B engine...

yeah, I'm beggining to see that is not really an option whatsoever due to the tiny engine bay

Rambler. How about a Jeep 4.0 HO, fuel injection and all. 4 speed auto trans. 8 3/4 rear?

The last part I like, the 4.0l fuel injected, not so much. I'm not really looking to go fuel injected til I can master the art of the carb which I hardly have evn gotten thru elementary school on

Man, those rotary engines can wind up. I'd love to do one some day. The ultimate sleeper.
yes they do. I worked with a guy who had an '84 IIRC with a Savannah 12A swap in it. ate gas like a v8, but would rev sky-high

rambler end of subject
you heard the man, people:protest:

I hear you! Back in the 80's, a friend of mine wanted me drive his RX-4 and get a couple races going on the street to see how fast it was (I think he was scared to drive it). I never drove a rotary, so I was pretty excited and I just revved it out and shifted when I felt like it wasn't pulling any more. Then I looked down and I was 10,000 RPM. LOL

I wish I could find pics of it, maybe someone on here will have seen this car too. It races locally at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce. He runs an RX3SP with a super hopped up 13B. He runs in the 9s with no roll cage and gets kicked out every time.

Do the Rambler and do the Gasser treatment.Stock is Boring!!!

without a doubt, stock is lame to me. Its either gasser or trans am car

if you pass on the rambler let me know. i would LOVE to have that car! would look so mean with a mini tub and sitting nice and low with a magnum motor stuffed in it.
Hahaha, I'm beginning to want it more and more though I'll let you drive it if I get it :burnout:

Rambler with the magnum motor, no hesitation. No gasser either

seems like the majority is rolling with the Rambler!:cheers:

here's another pic of one with a SBC(its too big to just link). I know, I know. This is a Mopar forum. But a small block Chevy is as close as it gets to a Mopar small block and no one has ventured that way with one of these.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=719322&d=1248837262

Seems like a big engine would make big problems, so it's gonna be a magnum swap if I get it.

Now you guys got me debating. Cutting it up into a gasser would be cool, but it wouldnt see much road time and it is already a really solid car. The other choice would be a retro trans-am car kinda deal. I'm sure there is disc brake swaps on the market for the front end and it'd be a fun car to run around in. that and I can't seem to find any pics of a trans-am raced Rambler. be very different.

-
Back