Two questions on a 400 build

-

Big D

Reaction score
Recently I've purchased a full 1976 400 engine with a 727 transmission. With my mind reeling with ideas to swap into my '73 duster, I'm wondering if I can get by with a steel 440 crank offset ground to get close to a 470 engine. 440 Source seems to shy people away from this idea and push to purchase their new cranks. This is understandable and their cranksets look incredibly sexy, but so is more money in my pocket. Anyone have good luck with offset grinds and longivity issues? And what combos? Also, would the stock A833 4-speed connect without difficulty onto the 400 or would I be better off using the 727 with a good torque converter? I love a 4-speed but I know people get by quite well with the 727 in bigger engines.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

D

Check the actual cost of magging the old crank and the offset grind. You may find yourself really close to the cost of the new crank.........

There's nothing wrog with running an offset ground crank BUT it's only as good as the guy doing the grinding. Be very careful who you pick to do the work for you.
As far as the 4 speed is concerned, I say run it! Just be sure that your crank is drilled for the pilot bushing.

Ted

There's nothing wrog with running an offset ground crank BUT it's only as good as the guy doing the grinding. Be very careful who you pick to do the work for you.
As far as the 4 speed is concerned, I say run it! Just be sure that your crank is drilled for the pilot bushing.

Ted
if you offset grind the crank and are going to make serious power you should have the crank re-hardened. By the time you add up doing all thr machine work you are usually close to the cost of a new piece form 440 source. If cost is the issue build a 451 these are great motors! 451 with a comp xtreme lift 564 hyd. with 44o source heads should produce 550 to 575 horse with about the same torque. A little tip on the 440 source heads! after initial assembly you will have to re-torque the head bolts 2 more times after you run it a while. a good time to do it is at the 2 first oil changes after break in. The aluminum is not hardened to level of higher priced heads! We had a set recently that popped a gasket and it took very little torque to loosen the arp bolts...highest was 59 ft lbs. lowest was 19 ft lbs. so be aware of that issue! I hope this helps you as I to challenge myself to build things cheaply! My goal was to build a 10 second mopar for a total of 10 grand! The car runs 11s on the motor and 10s on the spray! 440 with 11 to 1 compression 440 source heads ported to flow 313 at .600 the 564 comp cam with 1.6 rollor rockers 391gears in the 3400 lb dart sport. go to you tube and look up...dart sport street races vette and you will see it make a motor pass! good luck on your build!

Not to hijack this thread but is there a iron head that flows almost as well?

Not to hijack this thread but is there a iron head that flows almost as well?

Indy makes a cast iron head, the 440-H1-C

We regularly port the smog style heads like the 452 to 290 cfm without welding and can take the 906 heads to 340 cfm with no welding but it is VERY expensive.

-
Back