Shadow

Reaction score
I was wondering which oil we need to use
in our torqueflites. I am running both 904's
and 727's in street car applications.
Would you use a different or special oil
in a race car trans or even in a street car with
a reverse manual shift valve body.

Walmart type F works just fine for all uses! 70aarcuda is the test mule on that subject! Proven fine over and over!

Walmart type F works just fine for all uses! 70aarcuda is the test mule on that subject! Proven fine over and over!

Thanks..yes..been using walmart type F in 904 at the race track for years....

The torqueflite will run off 30 weight motor oil.

belive it or not my buddy in the nintys got a scamp free because the trans seal went bad and it leaked bad.that fool for a couple of weeks would pull upto the island at the gas station and fill it with water! i **** you not.it worked for abouttwo weeks.....was refering to they work on 30 wt.....lol

Well the reason I brought up the 30 weight is because there was a law enforcement department somewhere in California in the 60s that ordered up a fleet of new MoPars. The only requirement was that the engine and transmission had to use the same oil. 30 weight is what they ran. There was a thread on it here with a nice article about it somewhere. It's a fact.

Geezus. That makes about as much sense as specifying arbitrarily that all fluids in the car have to antidamfreeze 'er somethin. Sounds like somethin' the military would've done

I promise it's here somewhere. I been lookin ever since I saw this thread.

I promise it's here somewhere. I been lookin ever since I saw this thread.
thats funny, someone was trippin,(gee mayor ,we can save the city some money,use the same oil in everything....) lol:sign3:

I was actually told that some military vehicle do share same motor oil, transmission fluid, ps fluid, axle fluid, etc..... So they would only have to carry one kind of fluid into battlefield.. Not sure any truth to it..

well ATF +3 or +4 Syn is what your supposed to run, dosn't mean the other dont work, better, worse, or the same

Book says Dextron. That's what I use.

Torqueflite will run on anything........Type F will firm up shift by allowing immediate torque (no slippage). I have used the same 727 behind 2 big blocks over 5 years.

I use Type F :thumbup:

I used to use Type F, because I thought it had the most friction (F = friction). Since then I read that ATF+4 has the most friction modifiers, plus is fully synthetic, so switched to that. Then I read that friction modifiers sometimes (always?) DECREASE the friction. Anyway, I'll still use ATF+4 because my 96 Voyager specs that and its 3-spd FWD tranny is also called a Torqueflite, and is almost identical inside other than the differential add-on.

I wouldn't recommend type F in a torqueflite. Ford transmission yes,Torqueflite no.
Without going into all the reasons,do a simple google search on the subject.

ATF+3 or +4 synthetic works well. The trans should run cooler as well.

I wouldn't recommend type F in a torqueflite. Ford transmission yes,Torqueflite no.
Without going into all the reasons,do a simple google search on the subject.

ATF+3 or +4 synthetic works well. The trans should run cooler as well.

To each their own. I would rather take the advise from someone who runs their stuff hard as hell with good results "Type F" then someone who cruises their car to a parking lot to WAX it! Sorry just the way it is. I too run "Type F" my converter is a 4200 Stall from Lenny at Ultimate Converter. I also am running a 29,200 BTU Trans Cooler with a RMVB. My trans is built as a mirror Image of "70aarcuda's with all the good stuff in it!!. Reds, steels, kevlar bands, new pump gears, 5 clutch pack front drum, 24 spring return, billet rear servo etc etc,,,,, Built by me. "70aarcuda" builds his own transmissions as well and I followed his lead with excellent results. He has at least 3 cars that I know of that haul the mail with 5000 Stall converters & Transbrakes.........and they all perform well and live..... Oh and again that is with "Walmart Type F"
Pick your parts and pay your $$ as someone I know will stand on!! Lol
:burnout:

To each their own. I would rather take the advise from someone who runs their stuff hard as hell with good results "Type F" then someone who cruises their car to a parking lot to WAX it! Sorry just the way it is. I too run "Type F" my converter is a 4200 Stall from Lenny at Ultimate Converter. I also am running a 29,200 BTU Trans Cooler with a RMVB. My trans is built as a mirror Image of "70aarcuda's with all the good stuff in it!!. Reds, steels, kevlar bands, new pump gears, 5 clutch pack front drum, 24 spring return, billet rear servo etc etc,,,,, Built by me. "70aarcuda" builds his own transmissions as well and I followed his lead with excellent results. He has at least 3 cars that I know of that haul the mail with 5000 Stall converters & Transbrakes.........and they all perform well and live..... Oh and again that is with "Walmart Type F"

i think you hit the main difference on the head... i wonder if the stock clutch material from mopar to ford to chevy is different, while red's for ford, chevy, and mopar are the same material?

Years ago, Ford discovered they could use fewer clutch plates by formulating a modified fluid. Type 'F' was born.

A common recommendation for a slipping GM transmission is to add Type F.

i think you hit the main difference on the head... i wonder if the stock clutch material from mopar to ford to chevy is different, while red's for ford, chevy, and mopar are the same material?

Yeah I typed that up with the professional polisher in mind! No reason to even worry about what fluid I guess if that is your idea of entertainment.

Dealerships usually purchase bulk fluids.......(no concern for customer,only profit) the only time they actually use recomended fluid is under warranty,due to the fact they must submit a warranty claim supporting the use of approved factory fluid or the claim will be denied. The factory tracks exactly what the dealership purchases and each month balances it against what they have billed.....if things do not add up,it can wind up with a parts & service audit.

Having said that.......the dealers pump the most cost effective (cheapest crap) products into your vehicles,and they have been doing it for years.

The only difference between any transmission fluid is the additive package that is added due to the specifications of the manufacturer of the clutches and or bands used in the transmission in question. Only the modern lock-up convertor and or solonoid controlled valve bodied transmissions may require a particular "newer version" of the old stuff we have been using for years.

Torqueflites will run on anything...They perform especially well with TYPE F

To each their own is correct. You have your opinion,I have mine. The purpose of my thread was to inform people a little on type F,before they run out to the store and put it in their trans because mad dart says so. Sorry,just the way it is.

Many use it at the track for friction. Many are rebuilding there trans on a regular basis because of it to. Plus,not everybody is running around in clapped out race cars.Like I said,google type f in a torqueflite,and then make your decision.

And if that parking lot wax thing was directed at me,well yes I build some pretty clean machines. But I also build my cars to run,and that little 70 Green Go Dart will put the Smack down !

Cheers !

Run something different in a new Honda and see what you get. lol

Seriously, does every frakkin thread have to turn into an damned arguement? Just choose your fluid and be done with it. No reason to bash anybody else's choice.

-
Back