Uh-oh need your input.

-

Kevin D.

Reaction score
See crack between #4 and #6 cylinder.Bottom head bolt hole.Putting heads on new short block.Your input.Please,Thanks Kevin.

Attachments

• 0809121249.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 404
My first thought is why didn't the machine shop catch this.........and the second thought is you better get it repaired while the engines out and apart. I definetely wouldn't chance it at this point.

My first thought is why didn't the machine shop catch this.........and the second thought is you better get it repaired while the engines out and apart. I definetely wouldn't chance it at this point.
yep

On both sides and into water? That's not a good thing. Machine shop DEFINITELY should have caught that before they machined the block, its pretty visible even in the blurry photo.

I'd take it back. Hopefully they can repair it, but I'd want to hear a pretty good story about how they're going to do it. A failure there later pretty much guarantees a leak.

I'd take it back. Hopefully they can repair it, but I'd want to hear a pretty good story about how they're going to do it.

That and how they will re-imburse you for not catching it if you can't repair the block.

how could any competent machine shop miss that ???????? or did they ?

things that make you go Hmmmmmm.......

73AbodEE said:
how could any competent machine shop miss that ???????? or did they ?

things that make you go Hmmmmmm.......

X2 ....... Sketchy at best.

I'd go have a nice chat with them, don't forget to have a short chrome chain wrapped around your right or left fist while chatting with them. Just a suggestion, not telling you to do the latter lol ;-)

X2 ....... Sketchy at best.

I'd go have a nice chat with them, don't forget to have a short chrome chain wrapped around your right or left fist while chatting with them. Just a suggestion, not telling you to do the latter lol ;-)

LOL some shops need a little convincing :D

If the machine shop didn't catch that they need to shut the doors. Unless they just need the money and letting everything come in they work on it.

73AbodEE said:
LOL some shops need a little convincing :D

Right! That's what I'm saying

mullinax95 said:
If the machine shop didn't catch that they need to shut the doors. Unless they just need the money and letting everything come in they work on it.

Talk about piss poor professionalism & mostly piss poor business practices if that be the case

There's worse. Years ago a buddy of mine wanted to do a "simple" rebuild on a Chivvy 250 for a Chivy II. He gave the machine shop the block and told them:

Do whatever you need to to clean the block

Do whatever you need to to make this ready for rings. If it needs bored, bore it. If it needs the deck milled, do that

He gets it back:

They hot tanked it complete with oil gallery and core plugs in place

milled the deck including MILLING OFF the dowel pins and HONED THE cylinders

I did not say "ridge reamed" and THEN honed, I mean HONED period. The ridge was still there, complete with I - don't - know - how much taper.

This was a long time shop in San Diego, for all I know they are still doing..........uh........"business"

There's worse. Years ago a buddy of mine wanted to do a "simple" rebuild on a Chivvy 250 for a Chivy II. He gave the machine shop the block and told them:

Do whatever you need to to make this ready for rings. If it needs bored, bore it. If it needs the deck milled, do that

He gets it back:

I did not say "ridge reamed" and THEN honed, I mean HONED period. The ridge was still there, complete with I - don't - know - how much taper.

This was a long time shop in San Diego, for all I know they are still doing..........uh........"business"

Man that funny and scary at the same time....lol.

Stupid dowel pins......just wack'em off (no pun intended). Taper, what's taper:D

He gets it back:

eh just re-drill the holes through the dowel pins and call it good.

In all due seriousness, wtf?? They call them selves a machineshop????? Hope he got his money back

A few years back my company truck had a cracked head between #4 and #6 on a 351 Windsor. It leaked just below the valve cover onto the exhaust manifold They pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop. The shop did a valve job and sent it back, the mechanic bolted it back on and tried to fill the radiator. it leaked out the crack almost as fast as it went in. Everybody dropped the ball!!!!

This kind of thing I have experienced,p[aying out upwards of $2000 for repairs to my vans ac system and getting nothing out of it. The ac still dont work,and they got my money. There really needs to be a goddamn law regarding consumer rippoffs to protect them and assist them when they get shafted by a crook.

My apologies if it was an honest mistake. But I dont think it was,as it's a glaring one.

There is, if it's a registered ASE shop, if you pay them for work and they don't do it, don't do it right or screw something else up it's completely on them, if they don't fix it at there cost then they get into some big trouble.

There is, if it's a registered ASE shop, if you pay them for work and they don't do it, don't do it right or screw something else up it's completely on them, if they don't fix it at there cost then they get into some big trouble.

Is it an American thing,or is that standard available in Canada?

See crack between #4 and #6 cylinder.Bottom head bolt hole.Putting heads on new short block.Your input.Please,Thanks Kevin.
If you supplied the block and did not request magnuflux and pressure testing, then its not their fault. If you did request magnaflux and pressure testing then its their fault. If they supplied the core its their fault. There is no good way to fix this. I had a guy with a sb chev the other day with the same problem. You basically need to replace the block. When some one brings in a block and says bore and hone this, then its assumed you know your block is OK. This may not be what you want to hear, but is the reality of these situations. Hopefully your shop will sympathize and make it as right as they can what ever the case maybe.

I don't know how you would repair that.
You could use studs instead of head bolts and
hope for the best.
I've repaired worst cracks in old tractor blocks
and they've held but there not under stress
like a head bolt.

If you supplied the block and did not request magnuflux and pressure testing, then its not their fault. If you did request magnaflux and pressure testing then its their fault. If they supplied the core its their fault. There is no good way to fix this. I had a guy with a sb chev the other day with the same problem. You basically need to replace the block. When some one brings in a block and says bore and hone this, then its assumed you know your block is OK. This may not be what you want to hear, but is the reality of these situations. Hopefully your shop will sympathize and make it as right as they can what ever the case maybe.
The shop I use would have called and told me forget this block there are cracks in it . Of course they inspect everything a customer brings in before the work is done , save lots o headaches . **** does get by sometimes , but the crack above looks pretty easy to spot .

If you supplied the block and did not request magnuflux and pressure testing, then its not their fault.

The crack is VISIBLE. No need to magnaflux. Its obvious even in the blurry picture posted.

When some one brings in a block and says bore and hone this, then its assumed you know your block is OK. This may not be what you want to hear, but is the reality of these situations. Hopefully your shop will sympathize and make it as right as they can what ever the case maybe.

This is totally bogus. The customer is not the expert, the machine shop is. Any machinist that would look at the crack in that block and not tell the customer about it is a HACK. Seriously. If that's how you do business, then you don't deserve to do business, PERIOD.

It doesn't even make sense for the shop, because they're wasting their time on a cracked block that the customer will blame them for later, whether its reasonable or not. When the block leaks, the customer will blame the machine shop (even in cases where its NOT their fault) and the machine shop will lose business. Its a lose-lose for the machinist to do any work on that block. Any time spent on the block is a waste, and time wasted = money wasted. And that doesn't even take into account the headache of dealing with the unhappy customer.

If I brought that block to my machinist and told him to bore it, he'd tell me it was cracked before I even got it out of my truck, and I'd feel dumb. On the off chance he was having a bad day, he would call me the second it came out of the hot tank and tell me it was junk. It would never even get close to being bored, let alone finished and sent back out.

The only reason to continue doing business with that shop is to see if they'll try to make it right. Unfortunately, its a bad spot to be in. The shop is either incompetent, because they didn't see the damn crack, or they're completely unscrupulous because they saw the crack and did the work anyway without telling anyone. Either way, I wouldn't be taking any more business to them in the future.

The crack is VISIBLE. No need to magnaflux. Its obvious even in the blurry picture posted.

This is totally bogus. The customer is not the expert, the machine shop is. Any machinist that would look at the crack in that block and not tell the customer about it is a HACK. Seriously. If that's how you do business, then you don't deserve to do business, PERIOD.

It doesn't even make sense for the shop, because they're wasting their time on a cracked block that the customer will blame them for later, whether its reasonable or not. When the block leaks, the customer will blame the machine shop (even in cases where its NOT their fault) and the machine shop will lose business. Its a lose-lose for the machinist to do any work on that block. Any time spent on the block is a waste, and time wasted = money wasted. And that doesn't even take into account the headache of dealing with the unhappy customer.

If I brought that block to my machinist and told him to bore it, he'd tell me it was cracked before I even got it out of my truck, and I'd feel dumb. On the off chance he was having a bad day, he would call me the second it came out of the hot tank and tell me it was junk. It would never even get close to being bored, let alone finished and sent back out.

The only reason to continue doing business with that shop is to see if they'll try to make it right. Unfortunately, its a bad spot to be in. The shop is either incompetent, because they didn't see the damn crack, or they're completely unscrupulous because they saw the crack and did the work anyway without telling anyone. Either way, I wouldn't be taking any more business to them in the future.

AGREE 100% ,no magnafluxing needed to see that crack .

Hi Guys. I was poster #2 and i think we all agree about possible malpractice on a shops part. I was thinking, and this hasn't been asked yet......was this "new" shortblock ever thru the doors of a machine shop? Was this a used block that was just being freshened at home? Could this just have been overlooked by someone that just doesn't have as much experience as some of us? Could it have been tipped over or dropped after it left the shop? Accidentally of course. We haven't heard back from the OP "Kevin D" yet. I hope all of us, me included, didn't scare him off because he possibly made a mistake. Hopefully he will come on and give us more details. I know we would all help with advise if we can.

-
Back